• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I'm loosing another kit :( U/D March 10th - He's eating hay!

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
He's the smallest but is now half the size if his brother.

He's been mobile but now he's very reluctant to move. I can't tempt him to eat and this morning his back end was wet and his legs are stained. I've taken him out and cleaned him up and given him a gear pad in fresh hay with some grated carrot, broccoli and sprout leaves along with pellets and ster but his just sitting there. His sister knocked him over and he just stayed on his back.

A couple of photos but I don't think he'll be with us much longer. Any other ideas what I can do to help. Is it worth a dose of painkiller?

Here he is with his sibling
F76F7B74-665E-4481-8A07-71177D0FBC3D.jpg

I think he's a big kit for 4.5 weeks but even so the size difference is huge.

And here's the little fella just sitting. He feels very thin and light.
7053574F-8596-486F-9116-FCE716F6F285.jpg

I do have some critical care I could syringe feed him

Last edited:
He's the smallest but is now half the size if his brother.

He's been mobile but now he's very reluctant to move. I can't tempt him to eat and this morning his back end was wet and his legs are stained. I've taken him out and cleaned him up and given him a gear pad in fresh hay with some grated carrot, broccoli and sprout leaves along with pellets and ster but his just sitting there. His sister knocked him over and he just stayed on his back.

A couple of photos but I don't think he'll be with us much longer. Any other ideas what I can do to help. Is it worth a dose of painkiller?

Definitely, definitely an immediate trip to the vet.

Sounds like mucoid enteritis, possibly secondary to coccidiosis :cry:

Sadly the other Kits will be at risk too :cry:

I hope the Vet can help, even if it is to PTS the very sick kit as he/she is clearly suffering :cry:

OMG he's gorgeous. Poor wee man.

I fear the worst too. I agree the others need to be checked.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love his ears :(

He's enroute to the vet though I don't think the phone call was very promising.

He's called dusty btw - it suits him and now he has a proper identity. I hope he gets to grow into it :(

He's called dusty btw - it suits him and now he has a proper identity. I hope he gets to grow into it :(

Paws crossed for you. This is the most upsetting thread I have seen for a while. Poor little man. Be strong. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sorry, im no help but just wanted to send vibes for little dusty and hope that his siblings will all be ok too.

Sorry to read this.

Is the bun well-hydrated or showing any signs of bloat?

Is the hind-leg staining and wetness caused by urine or diarrhoea?

I'm guessing this could be mucoid enteropathy which can be successfully treated with intensive nursing but you have to catch it early.

At this age, I would keep kits on a largely dry diet with lots of fresh hay, pellets, maybe a little grass but definitely no sprout leaves which could easily contribute to a GI upset.

I think this little needs to visit the vet ASAP for diagnosis and would also take along any littermates plus mum. If ME is brewing then treatment needs to begin instantly and then you could be in for a busy week administering meds, fluids to bring him/them through.

If coccidiosis is implicated, ie in view of his size/weight, then the entire litter will need to be treated along with mum. The vet will be able to test poo samples so take a few along plus a fresh caecal too so they can all be tested for hepatic/intestinal coccidiosis.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

He didn't seem to have a swollen tummy, or any other sign if bloat. When I checked him this morning he was sat in the litter tray so I don't know if the staining is from his urine or if just he's been sitting in the tray. I changed the litter as usual and gave him a gentle clean.

The best way to discribe him is vacant.

He's breathing etc but it's like his body is just going through the motions. He doesn't seem to be moving, if you give him a gentle prod or a stroke he doesn't move or flinch or acknowledge it in any way. He just sits there. I've sat him on fresh hay and pellets and it's like he doesn't recognise them. He has no spark, if you couldn't see he was breathing you'd think he wasn't there at all :(

He's at the vets with my OH so hoping for an update soon.

Last edited:
OH back from the vet. Nothing seems physically wrong with Dusty, other than his stomach is very empty. No bloat or blockage that can be felt. His spine is very prominent though.

OH took the attached video - she text me to say Dusty was just turning round in circles and doing something odd with his mouth. By the time she got her phone he'd stop doing circles but you can see his mouth movement - it's like he's chewing or licking nothing. I've just posted the link rather than the video as he is clearly unwell and I dont want to upset anyone, but I would appreciate those with experience passing on their thoughts if you can bare it.

To me it looks like he's had some sort if neurological failure but I don't know really. We are going to give some CC but my OH is not confident syringe feeding the buns so it may have to wait until I'm home.

Thanks everyone for your support but I have a bad feeling in The pit of my stomach.

Link to YouTube.

http://youtu.be/pYpn3WVlR5Q

Back