• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chipped Tooth!?

Zingaling85

Warren Scout
So not only is poorly Simba in recovery from EC I noticed this morning as I was giving him his meds that one of his front teeth has chipped.

It looks like it might be abit uncomfortable for him since he has blister type marks on his bottom lip.... It doesnt seem to affect his eating though. He had some greens last night and has started eating ALOT more hay (I'm at the point where I am counting his golden poos! There were at least 15 this morning!).

I know the answer is to take him to the vet but I am worried this will stress him out again! (we have been doing so well this last week, he really is showing increasing signs of making a full recovery!)

I will make an appointment with our new vet in Wokingham for today or tomorrow but I'm getting worried again :cry: since every vet I have been to has said he is not looking good and probably wont make it so perhaps tooth treatment might be too much for him to take!?
Our last appointment was on friday and the vet said his teeth looked fine so this has happened in the last few days!

xxx

Wee soul. Yip, vets check needed I'm afraid.

They should be able to just burr his incisors without any GA. It may wory him a bit but if it is rubbing on his bottom lip then it canny really be left alone.

I thought as much so have got an appointment for tomorrow evening (they didnt have anything today!!!)

Fingers crossed he will be ok for another day!!!

xxx

So back to the vets we went last night as I noticed earlier on in the week that one of Simba's front teeth was chipped and it looked like it was making his lip sore!

The vet had a good look at his teeth and then got a pair of tweezers out and started wiggling them. The edge of the chipped tooth did seem rather sharp but the vet was more interested in the other tooth that he could wiggle around.

He told me that the tooth needed to come out and by the amount of milky fluid at the top of the tooth (pus!!!! :shock:) Simba had a tooth infection I felt so guilty that I hadnt noticed this :cry:. I had to fight back tears that my poor bunny was going through so much but still fighting!

I have to continue with the metacam (which I would anyway because of his EC) and have another appointment next thursday to see if the tooth is loose enough for them to remove it. The vet wants to do it without using GA and is confident that the tooth should grow back but we wont know for sure until the tooth has been removed!!?

We got back home and i gave Simba some greens and he wolfed them down. This morning he was eating his hay without a care in the word!? He does seem ok and almost back to his old self. Just not looking forward to going back next week and putting him under even more stress!!!

xxx

I have not heard of a tooth getting removed without GA. Hopefully someone else on here will have advice on that one.

Glad he is still eating, he deffo has a fighting spirit. Is he still rolling with the Head Tilt?

Oh no really?

The vet said he would be able to pull it out if it was loose enough (he showed me a diagram how long bunnies teeth are). I thought they could only be removed using GA which is why I am so worried about it as Simba is so skinny it would definitely be too much!

His head tilt is still there but since we have been giving him the ear infection antibiotics I think it has improved and his rolling is so minimal now. He did a couple of rolls at the vets but I think that is because he was abit stressed.

I found him 4 weeks ago with EC today so should he still be rolling? I guess its different per case though isnt it? Its just so difficult to know whether I am doing the best for him. I dont think he is in too much pain as he is eating and pooing alot more! He even pooed at the vets last night!

xxx

Back