• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Investigation has now begun.

RogerRabbit999

Mama Doe
I have received confirmation now that the investigation into bun's death, at *Name of vet removed* has begun. They are anticipating that it will be completed within 28 days and a full report will then be available. The investigation is being conducted by the Head of Clinical Operations, and he will be interviewing the vet on duty that weekend and her equally vile veterinary nurse.

Is anyone else wondering now, if there hasn't previously been problems with this particular practice, as they do seem to be doing far more and taking it to a much higher level than I expected.

Well, here's hoping that the vet and nurse have a really shaky few weeks ahead of them now, as I myself would be absolutely mortified should I ever be under investigation as a Paramedic. Hopefully, this will prevent others with rabbits having to go through the awful experience that we did, and maybe teach them to keep their shocking comments to themselves, as I still maintain that Stu may have been 'only a rabbit' to the vet, but he was still just as deserving as any animal that had the misfortune to come through their doors, and they can lie all they want, but at least I still had a clear enough mind to take pictures, that will prove they can't possibly have tried to revive him, and that they lied about the treatment he had, or more importantly didn't have.

This still haunts me constantly, this unnecessary loss of a much loved bun, and the only way I can see of trying to move forward is to make sure that these awful people get everything they've got coming to them, and they never subject others to such treatment. At least getting some kind of justice for Stu, and hopefully helping others, might mean his death wasn't entirely for nothing.

It's only 3 weeks, but I just can't stop thinking about how we and Stu were treated, which resulted in his death, and I still think as well that £633 to admit him for IV fluids, was a tad excessive. I guess what was done, was done, and nothing can bring him back, but I still feel absolutely sick at what happened and how he shouldn't have died, and just can't get over it :cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have received confirmation now that the investigation into bun's death, at *vet's name removed* has begun. They are anticipating that it will be completed within 28 days and a full report will then be available. The investigation is being conducted by the Head of Clinical Operations, and he will be interviewing the vet on duty that weekend and her equally vile veterinary nurse.

Is anyone else wondering now, if there hasn't previously been problems with this particular practice, as they do seem to be doing far more and taking it to a much higher level than I expected.

Well, here's hoping that the vet and nurse have a really shaky few weeks ahead of them now, as I myself would be absolutely mortified should I ever be under investigation as a Paramedic. Hopefully, this will prevent others with rabbits having to go through the awful experience that we did, and maybe teach them to keep their shocking comments to themselves, as I still maintain that Stu may have been 'only a rabbit' to the vet, but he was still just as deserving as any animal that had the misfortune to come through their doors, and they can lie all they want, but at least I still had a clear enough mind to take pictures, that will prove they can't possibly have tried to revive him, and that they lied about the treatment he had, or more importantly didn't have.

This still haunts me constantly, this unnecessary loss of a much loved bun, and the only way I can see of trying to move forward is to make sure that these awful people get everything they've got coming to them, and they never subject others to such treatment. At least getting some kind of justice for Stu, and hopefully helping others, might mean his death wasn't entirely for nothing.

It's only 3 weeks, but I just can't stop thinking about how we and Stu were treated, which resulted in his death, and I still think as well that £633 to admit him for IV fluids, was a tad excessive. I guess what was done, was done, and nothing can bring him back, but I still feel absolutely sick at what happened and how he shouldn't have died, and just can't get over it :cry::cry:

I am so sorry - this sounds absolutely awful - what a horrible thing for you to go though. As you say, I hope 'justice' is done x

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing you all the best with the investigation. I've removed the name of the vet practice though as it's best not to publicly name, especially while there's an investigation going on.

I agree with you. It is really shocking. I hope you get a satisfactory outcome. RIP Stu. x

I really hope this helps you to get some answers and closure. I put in a complaint about the (lack of) treatment of my cat at a well known chain of out of hours vets and to be fair to them, they did investigate really thoroughly including saying they were going to monitor the quality of the vet's clinical notes, and I ended up getting an apology and a refund for the treatment. Fortunately for me, my cat survived and was fine thanks to the follow up treatment from my own vet, whereas for you it's clearly very different, but I do hope you make good progress with this and end up with a significant improvement in attitude, behaviour and competence in treatment by the vets towards rabbits as patients.

I hope the investigation goes well, and that the vet has to answer for how little Stu was treated.

Back