• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wasted journey to the vets today*at the vets now*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
yesterday we rang to say maisie (piggy) is squeaking again when weeing, and has lost weight, and that bisc might need a dental aswell because he's not eating as much hay, and his poops are smaller.

anyway, so they wrote down that we would have an appointment as usual and then they would stay if needed. turns out they both needed to stay... but the vet was really busy and they asked if they could change the day. i know i shouldn't get stressed but we wouldn't have bothered going all that way if we had known. the taxi is £50 a time, and i just wish they would have phoned when they realised they would be too busy.

i understand that some others have to take priority, but i just hate this kind of hassle. it was so hard for me today to leave the house and i nearly fainted from the anxiety, so to know we have to go all the way back again this week just makes me :cry: plus we have to pay the taxi again, and then at a reduced rate the same day to go and collect them aswell later on.

sorry for the moan, just having a bad day. :(

so now we have to wait to see what day we're going again. maisie will be having xrays and another urine sample taken. if she has sludge then they will flush her bladder. anything else and we have to discuss a treatment plan. she's also having her cysts checked on xray and she will most likely be starting hormone treatment for those. and her arthritis ankle will be looked at on xray aswell to see if she needs to go on metacam for it now, aswell as having physio. she's also dropped back to her lowest weight again. :(

bisc is on the verge of needing a dental, which we know from experience means that he will be hiding more spurs out of sight. he's still eating but not as much as normal. he's actually gained weight but that is because i have been letting him have extra profibre pellets to make up for the reduced hay he's been having. luckily he's well and still doing sprints and binkies, but obviously he will just get worse so best to get the dental done sooner.

eta: oh, and eddie piggy squealed like a girl when the vet got him out :oops: he's never done that before! :shock: and eddie is way too fat now. probably because maisie is losing weight. but he's a beast! :shock:

Last edited:
Oh no what vets is it? I know you have bad anxiety but did you tell them you had got a taxi? I'd be really annoyed.

Either way though vibes for your piggies xxx

Wow that's bad. I've never been told to change my appointment. I've had to sit and wait if Mark has been called out to an emergency but that's fine.

Hope they are both OK. Maybe let the vets know how much you have to pay out so if they have to cancel someone it is less likely to be you.

it's never happened before. and i don't begrudge the money for the taxi. just obviously would rather it went towards the treatment. the vet did look like he felt really bad when i said about the taxi. but i don't think it was his fault. the staff booked too much in and then they had an emergency come in aswell. i wouldn't have minded having to change it, as mine are still well in themselves, but just would rather they had thought to phone and let me know if they thought there was a chance they might have booked too many in.

it's a bit of a weird one, because you won't get better vets and treatment than there, yet sometimes the reception staff are a bit all over the place aswell. they've got better but i think the vets is so busy all the time that it's quite a fast moving environment.

didn't want to start moaning as usual but i think being so anxious today just made it all worse. i don't know why i was so bad this time. :? i was panicking and crying before we went, then i was unsteady on my feet and felt really faint as we went into the vets. it was just a rubbish day mh wise for me. :roll:

Ah lots of hugs for you. It's a worry anyway when animals are ill and you just want them well again.

I've lost count of the number of times I've cried over Doughnut. I burst into tears in my car when my mum was over. I'd just taken Doughnut in again as she was so unwell and I knew Mark would give her the best care possible and my mum was saying she's in safe hands. I said I know but she's only 2 and has been ill for half her life and she doesn't deserve it. Sometimes a good cry helps!

Keep us posted on your gorgeous furries. xx

Ah lots of hugs for you. It's a worry anyway when animals are ill and you just want them well again.

I've lost count of the number of times I've cried over Doughnut. I burst into tears in my car when my mum was over. I'd just taken Doughnut in again as she was so unwell and I knew Mark would give her the best care possible and my mum was saying she's in safe hands. I said I know but she's only 2 and has been ill for half her life and she doesn't deserve it. Sometimes a good cry helps!

Keep us posted on your gorgeous furries. xx

oh bless you. it is so hard when they're not right, and hard to leave them. i think that is why i was worse today, because i knew they would all probably have to stay and then i'd come home to an empty house. then the worry of anything being wrong/going wrong, is just overwhelming. plus, i am a nervous creature anyway :roll: :lol:

i've cried a bit :oops: and i feel much better now. trying not to think about having to go all the way back though. :shock: and trying to just not stress about it. it's happened and now i just need to focus on getting them all back to full health again. :thumb:

upset for maisie that she has all these things going on though. but she's nearly six now and these are her first more serious issues, and she copes so well, so she's been in good health all this time. i think it's going to be long term meds for her though now, in some way or another.

i'll get them all back on track. :thumb:

eta: the taxi is £50 for there and back and including waiting time aswell so expensive but not too bad, and the driver is so lovely.

Last edited:
Late getting back to this thread....but I totally get where you're coming from because with Mimzy's recent dental the staff were supposed to have blocked off enough time for my vet to do an emergency surgery and they didn't, so with terrible road conditions and my OH feeling under the weather he had to drive back home and back to the vet and home again the next day...a total of four trips and he was not happy. :(

Of course I suppose we shouldn't have chosen such a remote area to live in, but when we first got here there was a vet halfway between us and town...then he left a few years later and it's been this mad dash there and back ever since. :roll:

Hoping for a close vet in the states.

I hope Maisie and Bisc will be okay till they can be seen. Poor darlings. :( And I know this is very hard for you too. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) xxxx

Late getting back to this thread....but I totally get where you're coming from because with Mimzy's recent dental the staff were supposed to have blocked off enough time for my vet to do an emergency surgery and they didn't, so with terrible road conditions and my OH feeling under the weather he had to drive back home and back to the vet and home again the next day...a total of four trips and he was not happy. :(

Of course I suppose we shouldn't have chosen such a remote area to live in, but when we first got here there was a vet halfway between us and town...then he left a few years later and it's been this mad dash there and back ever since. :roll:

Hoping for a close vet in the states.

I hope Maisie and Bisc will be okay till they can be seen. Poor darlings. :( And I know this is very hard for you too. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) xxxx

must be hard living somewhere remote. we travel about 40mins each way which isn't too bad. everyone says we should move closer there, maybe next door! :lol: it's the best vets here though and i want them to have the best treatment possible.

thankfully they all seem fine. just need to get a new appointment sorted. i wasn't expecting that to happen today so it threw me a bit. to be honest though, if the emergency had been my pet, then i would have wanted the same, for them to have to cancel someone else who's pets were stable for the moment. i think he said it was a rabbit with a broken leg. :(

i'm quite proud because i still went today even though it was a struggle, and i have tried to let go of the anger and not stress because it's done now and i need my energy to get bisc and maisie back to full health now. mind you, if you didn't know bisc, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. he's been sprinting and binkying, but we can see the verge of a dental. couldn't believe it was august 2012 i think since his last one :D longest he's done! :thumb:

maisie is eating fine. she looks really skinny though now. she's got alot to get through really. i just hope so much that nothing major is going on, and that her hormone treatment will go well. i think she may be put on metacam permanently now though for her arthritis ankle. it's so stiff but it does loosen quite a bit with physio so that's good. she does have a slight waddle when walking bless her. she's so brilliant though the way she just gets on with things. :love:

they've all been good actually. bright in themselves but obviously maisie is still squeaking a bit and bisc is chewing nothing. they're all at the vets now. can't wait to go get them later.

all home and done.

bisc had spurs on both sides of his lower teeth. four were close to his tongue. he's had a little nibble of hay and willow stick since we've been home and a little drink. he's just resting now.

he didn't end up having his dental until about 2pm, so we have only just been to collect them. not been back long.

will update about maisie on her thread.

At least you caught the spurs before they did any damage :thumb: give Bisc a nose rub from me :love: I'm going to ashleigh on Mon with barney and Molly.

At least you caught the spurs before they did any damage :thumb: give Bisc a nose rub from me :love: I'm going to ashleigh on Mon with barney and Molly.

nose rub delivered :love:

good luck on monday at the vets. least you have aidan looking after them. :love: have you ever seen michelle? she is so lovely and an excellent vet aswell. really pleased she is there now aswell, incase aidan isn't in. so if you ever need to go again, i would really recommend her aswell. :thumb: x

Back