• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Danny's 25th

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
It was my lad's 25th on Sunday.

He's had a parasitic thing that was gross & scratchy, so the full clip was done Friday once his cuts had healed, & so I could shampoo him. It's a bit cold, so he has a duvet under that rug overnight.
He's now 2 months into his cushings treatment & the weight is going on, so I've been leading him out twice a week in an attempt to build his muscle a little. He's back in the field a couple of hours a day too. I can't believe how much he's improved. In a few short months he had a tooth abscess, a cut artery in his leg, several dentals trying to correct the tooth that had caused the abscess (just one more left to do in May, then I'm on 4 monthly), a sinus infection, cushings diagnosis due to massive weight loss, & a skin condition that attacked 2 other horses at the stables - but because of his weakened immune system, he got hit with it full force. I thought he was going to have to be PTS, but the vet kept coming in all enthusiastic, with a "we can fix this" attitude with each new issue.

Aww :love: Happy Birthday Danny :D you've really been through a lot together, glad he's on the mend :thumb: I'd be interested to know which vets you use, I need to find a better vet for my goats, and I need a good horse/farm vet for that.

I use the Equine Vet Centre in Donny. I only switched to them last year tbh - he's the vet used by my stables, so they called him out when I was unavailable & he noticed another issue we hadn't spotted & diagnosed within about 3 seconds (with blood tests confirming later). The guy talks for England, but he's proper into his illnesses & stuff & gets really excited when he finds something he hasn't treated before.

I use the Equine Vet Centre in Donny. I only switched to them last year tbh - he's the vet used by my stables, so they called him out when I was unavailable & he noticed another issue we hadn't spotted & diagnosed within about 3 seconds (with blood tests confirming later). The guy talks for England, but he's proper into his illnesses & stuff & gets really excited when he finds something he hasn't treated before.

Thanks for that. Sounds from their name they might not do farm animals including goats :lol: but I'll give them a try, they sound good :thumb:

He looks really well for 25! I had to put my old horse down at 32, I felt like I had lost a member of my family :-( . Xx

Aww :love: hes looking good
My girl is 25 this year... and is minus a few teeth :( gets harder to keep weight on.. but ive had her on calm and condition and its made a big difference

Aww :love: hes looking good
My girl is 25 this year... and is minus a few teeth :( gets harder to keep weight on.. but ive had her on calm and condition and its made a big difference

We tried everything for weight gain - my food bill increase by £50 a month, & he was still losing. He's now on these tablets for cushings (£1.30 a day) & the difference is amazing. He's actually only got a really mild case too.

Have you tried chopping her hay & food up really small? I haven't resorted to that for Danny yet, but my old horse (I had him PTS in 2012 - he was 29) was losing teeth regularly & at 16.3hh it was impossible to keep the weight on.

Thanks everyone - he's looked really rough for about 6 months but he's coming on well now. I can't really believe it :love:

Such a beautiful horse! :love:
Ahh...I miss being able to even be near one. Terribly allergic. :(

Happy Birthday Danny! :) xxxx

Back