• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nearly lost her!

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
So putting Waffles back in her hutch today, she jumped but missed the hutch and ended up on the grass. In the dark. In the unenclosed garden.

Just about reacted quick enough to pinion her down and i think she was a shocked as i was, so it was easy to pick her up and put her back in but gave me such a panic!

I know it's not something most of you will approve of, but am still planning on trying to put her (and DP) on a long lead when the weather improves and using it to train them to come back when called (and maybe hop into the hutch) so if anything like this ever happens again there's slightly less risk

It's not that i don;t think she wouldn't want to come back, more that if it's dark and they're scared they could just run for it, and end up lost or trapped or eaten

But for now just so so so relieved it ended ok

Could you not use a carry box to take her to and from her hutch so she can't jump out? Then let her hop into the hutch from the box. Does she have a run attached to her hutch? :wave:

Sounds like it was lucky you had lightening reactions. If you need to transport them from a to b I find it's easier and safer to lure them into a carrier with some food :thumb:

Think lots of us have had a heart-stopping moment at some time! Could you attach a run to their hutch so they could exercise safely? I did try a lead with a rabbit many years ago: it was an absolute disaster & almost had a very sad outcome, which is why I am so against them.

They have a run attached to hutch so they can always exercise - they just come in to unheated conservatory to spend time with me.
They currently race over to me whenever I go outside and jump on my knees as soon as I open the hutch door so it will be a challenge to untrain that and I'll miss the licks as I carry them in in my arms but will give the carrier a try
Thanks

I agree, I think all owners have felt the heart stopping thing! Glad your reactions were so good!

Personally I don't think that even if you were able to train a perfect recall on a lead it would make any difference in that sort of situation. For a shocked prey animal flight will always be the strongest emotion and instinct.

When I first had Stu I used a harness in the garden for a while so I could slow him down and make him stop then pick him up :) he got treat fuss and put back down:D

I can just walk up to him and he stands still for me and if I have the treats will come :roll: well all 3 come for treats but the other two didn't have that experience so no so easy to pick up but getting there

Back