• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was this a choking episode?

bunkin

Warren Veteran
Scared us witless tonight. House bun had been eating hay when he suddenly started running round in circles looking totally panic stricken and making the most dreadful noise.
I grabbed him and lots of clear mucus came out of his mose all over me and he was still making awful noise. Managed to get his mouth open and hubby looked but couldn't see anything. I passed him to hubby while I ran and rang the out of hours vet number asking for a call back and why.
Went back in and bun was sitting on hubbys knee and the noise had stopped and he was washing his face. Hubby said that lots more clear mucus had bubbled out of his nose and then suddenly the awful noise stopped. There was tiny bits of green hay in one lot mucus when we looked.
He may also have snorted alot of water up his nose from his water bowl as he is prone to do this but usually this just results in him sneezing alot for a few seconds.
Whatever it scared the xxxx out of both of us!!
20 mins later the out of hours vet hadn't rung us so we rang the emergency number and told them not to bother as bun was okay now:evil::evil:
So I am guessing it was either choking on hay or water up nose - do you think I am guessing right??

Scared us witless tonight. House bun had been eating hay when he suddenly started running round in circles looking totally panic stricken and making the most dreadful noise.
I grabbed him and lots of clear mucus came out of his mose all over me and he was still making awful noise. Managed to get his mouth open and hubby looked but couldn't see anything. I passed him to hubby while I ran and rang the out of hours vet number asking for a call back and why.
Went back in and bun was sitting on hubbys knee and the noise had stopped and he was washing his face. Hubby said that lots more clear mucus had bubbled out of his nose and then suddenly the awful noise stopped. There was tiny bits of green hay in one lot mucus when we looked.
He may also have snorted alot of water up his nose from his water bowl as he is prone to do this but usually this just results in him sneezing alot for a few seconds.
Whatever it scared the xxxx out of both of us!!
20 mins later the out of hours vet hadn't rung us so we rang the emergency number and told them not to bother as bun was okay now:evil::evil:
So I am guessing it was either choking on hay or water up nose - do you think I am guessing right??

It sounds very much like a choke

You do need to get him examined in the morning as if he has aspirated anything there is a risk of aspiration pneumonia

So the Vet will need to listen to his lungs and also give him a general check over to see if there is any obvious cause of the choke.

Thanks Jane, really appreciate your expertise. I will take him to my vets tomorrrow and get his lungs checked out and they can have a good look down his throat as well.

I never want to go through that again:shock:

Lots of vibes for your bun.

I've had a bun choke and it is terrifying! I hope you get over the shock soon.

We are sure that what he did was snort loads of water up this nose from his water bowl. When I had calmed down I remembered seeing him turn away from his water bowl then start the running round in circles with the awful noise. the noise was coming from his nose at same time as all this clear stuff was bubbling out. As soon as the water was out of his nose the noise stopped and he was totally fine straight away.

He is a devil for sounding as if he is drowning in his water bowl and getting some up his nose which usually results in him having a mad sneezing attack.

Vet says all seems well but if he suddenly develops noisy breathing or appears unwell to get him straight back or if he has another episode like that.

Any suggestions on how to improve his water supply. As he is a housebun a bottle is not really feasable and he used to drink most of his water out of puddles when he was an outside bun:roll: so he can drink okay. We find that if his water bowl is kept topped right up so he does not have to lower his head into the bowl he drinks better but someone may have some better idea?

Back