• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D last 2 days clean bottom. Mr Bennett's ongoing dirty bottoms - at a loss.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Mr Bennett has had ongoing dental and dirty bottom issues for about 2 years. I seem to have his dental problems under control and its been 5 months since his last dental, which in itself is fantastic, as they were becoming frequent and only 7 to 8 weeks apart.

His dental problems seem fine for now but in the last few weeks his mucky bottoms have been becoming more frequent.

Diet, breakfast a few pellets (about 8), a carrot and a fenigreek crunchie. Unlimited Orchard Grass Hay, no other hay. I am convinced the Orchard Grass Hay is keeping his teeth in better shape so I don't even add the cheap bale hay.

Dinner is another carrot, dill if he feels like it, tiny bit of kale but most likely not eaten, coriander, again he may or may not eat it and a bit of parsnip. Later a few pellets.

Sometimes he gets a bit of plantain and a bit of dried dandelion salad, which the chins have every day.

Have played around with his food and cutting down the pellets seem to help but not making much of a difference now but he is also wanting more food and eating quite alot. He will run around begging for more food and if I don't give him anything he will chew doors frames, the wardrobe, his carpet and the hoover.

This morning woke to find a massive clump of poo, and I mean massive, checked his bottom and not too bad just given him a wipe with a damp cloth. Last week I found caecals everywhere, not seen any this week. I am having to clean his bottom at least every second day, it is starting to became more the norm than not.

Other than this he seems in good health, runs around, eats happily, is in his usual routine.

Have tried cutting the pellets altogether but he goes nuts for pellets. He is on about a quarter of what he used to get but not making much difference. Am I not tough enough. What causes frequent dirty bottoms ?

Should I post some pics ? Threw away the clump. His general output has never been good, small dark poos, so unlike my other two who produce massive golden poos.

Don't know why that icon is above its meant to say eight. 8

Last edited:
I think you should cut down on the carrot and also give less veg generally. It's good he is eating his hay.

I'd take the carrot out all together - 2 carrots a day is an awful lot of sugar which could easily be contributing to, if not causing, the inbalance in his gut causing messy back side!

Sounds to me like he is craving fibre, which is something Ginger did constantly before her stomach was going to get into a bad state, eg, stasis - she'd chew and eat cardboard and nibble on cupboard doors = wanting more high fibrous material.

You are likely going to need to go back to serious basics with him - very high fibre diet - no veg, just hay hay and more hay with occasional pellets for the other vitamins etc.

Thanks guys. I won't give him carrot tonight. You wouldn't want to know how much I give the others. :oops:

What about parsnip ? What other veg can I give him instead ? He is fussy, won't touch greens and not keen on trying broccoli and never given cabbage or cauliflower. I don't want to try the gassy veggies.

Thanks guys. I won't give him carrot tonight. You wouldn't want to know how much I give the others. :oops:

What about parsnip ? What other veg can I give him instead ? He is fussy, won't touch greens and not keen on trying broccoli and never given cabbage or cauliflower. I don't want to try the gassy veggies.

Never given a bun parsnip, but it is on the safe foods list (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm)

To be honest, I wouldn't be adding in anything new if his gut is already in a bad state.

As already said, i'd be going back to basics and giving a hay/8 pellet only diet for at least 1-2 weeks and then slowly add 1 thing back in at a time - so you can see if there is a particular indicative cause.

Just to add, Biscuit has NO veg whatsoever, except for occasion carrot peelings if we are having a roast and that's only a couple of shavings.

He is on Hay + 6 SS pellets + 4-5 fibafirst sticks a day and that's all he has. I'm a firm believer that rabbits don't NEED veg.

Some foraged foods are also good for the gut, if you can get brambles (blackberry leaves) you can give a small handful as they are good for the gut and very fibrous. Ginger lived on them.

Last edited:
I'd take the carrot out all together - 2 carrots a day is an awful lot of sugar which could easily be contributing to, if not causing, the inbalance in his gut causing messy back side!

Sounds to me like he is craving fibre, which is something Ginger did constantly before her stomach was going to get into a bad state, eg, stasis - she'd chew and eat cardboard and nibble on cupboard doors = wanting more high fibrous material.

You are likely going to need to go back to serious basics with him - very high fibre diet - no veg, just hay hay and more hay with occasional pellets for the other vitamins etc.

Thanks. I have been told that eating wood could be the craving for fibre. So easy when you have outdoor buns, you close the door and they have eat what they are given, they cannot follow you around begging.

Anything else with high fibre in it, other than hay ? I used to give readigrass but that is high in calcium, if I remember rightly.

Thanks. I have been told that eating wood could be the craving for fibre. So easy when you have outdoor buns, you close the door and they have eat what they are given, they cannot follow you around begging.

Anything else with high fibre in it, other than hay ? I used to give readigrass but that is high in calcium, if I remember rightly.

See above :)

Never given a bun parsnip, but it is on the safe foods list (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm)

To be honest, I wouldn't be adding in anything new if his gut is already in a bad state.

As already said, i'd be going back to basics and giving a hay/8 pellet only diet for at least 1-2 weeks and then slowly add 1 thing back in at a time - so you can see if there is a particular indicative cause.

Just to add, Biscuit has NO veg whatsoever, except for occasion carrot peelings if we are having a roast and that's only a couple of shavings.

He is on Hay + 6 SS pellets + 4-5 fibafirst sticks a day and that's all he has. I'm a firm believer that rabbits don't NEED veg.

Some foraged foods are also good for the gut, if you can get brambles (blackberry leaves) you can give a small handful as they are good for the gut and very fibrous.

Ooops overlapping posts.

He was doing really well on veggies for a few months. I introduced parsnip a few months ago and he loves it, that could be a problem. He is getting slightly plump too. :oops: Could be fur and he is moulting very heavily, I am getting huge handfuls at the moment.

Where do you get the fibafirst sticks ?

All my previous buns thrived on vegetables. Would they not eat farmers vegetables in the wild ? You always imagine rabbits pulling up the farmers carrots.

Last edited:
I agree with cutting out fresh veg. But I do think fresh and dried forage foods are amazing and really good for their digestive system. Dandelions, plantain, bramble etc. And herbs. Other than that, just a few pellets and LOADS of hay. :)

My Bridge Bun Thumpa had a dirty bum problem generally but it was too much carrot or fruit that would set it off so she only got small bits of carrot and apple for a treat.

When the dirty bum started to appear I would put her on a short course of Fiberplex which would soon sort it out and she would be fine for a while then would have odd days when she would have a bit of a problem, never really got to the bottom of it (Sorry about the pun couldn't resist )

two out of four bums are dodgy at my house. well, three out of five if you count mine, but at least i keep my own tidy. I've cut back on veg recently. they have mammoth amounts of hay and few nuggets.

Thanks. It seems the root of it could be carrots.

The weird thing is I cut out pellets for Cutie-pie last year and hers cleared up immediately when I stopped pellets. I feed them tons of veggies, including carrots. Maybe it effects some buns more.

happybun, must be an achievement to have 3 dirty bums. ;):lol:

Poor Mr B, I have a feeling he will always be vulnerable to mucky bottoms. I have tried fibreplex and that other fibre stuff in the white pot, can't think of the name. Didn't help.

Aww that did sound like a lot of carrots :lol: i hope his bum starts to clear up now; although I'm sure he'll be most unimpressed with his carrot reduction! ;) x

Another one here who doesn't serve veg! I have to say, if he's hungry he's got hay and if you feel bad then some herbs or foraged things would be tasty. Have you anywhere local with brambles or hawthorn? Otherwise a box of Parsnipbun's foraged foods would be a good idea. Lots of stalky things like grape stalks, apple sticks etc will help that craving.

Mine don't have veg either (horrible person I am :lol:)

My lawn has about 3 blades of grass left however :lol:

It would save a fortune in veg. We do have brambles on the other side of the river, there are some locally but still in the flooded areas.

Will look if Parsnipbun has anything left.

Back