• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your buns microchipped?

Are your buns microchipped?

• Yes - I'd always get them done (if they werent already done)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Yes - but only because they were done by a rescue

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No - dont think its necessary

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • No - but thinking about it

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confused_bun

Warren Scout
Basically my rescue bun came chipped and im thinking about whether or not to get my other bun done. So I was just wondering what others thought? Do you chip or not and your reasons for and against.

Last edited:
I won't bother. I live in the country and I don't think the likelihood of ever getting them back if they escaped is worth the cost. I think they'd be run over or eaten before someone found them. I'm also not sure a vets would automatically think to check for a microchip if they were handed in.

I am the exact same as you as my Hollie was chipped at the SPCA.

I wouldn't get Herbie done and none of my previous buns were. They are all house bunnies however, maybe if they were outdoors then I would consider it.

I would if mine were outdoors, but mine are indoors and upstairs in my bedroom and don't ever go outside so it doesn't seem worth the stress on them.

I've recently had 9 of my 11 done (the other 2 will be done when next at the vets). All but 2 are indoors. I just decided that if they do get lost or stolen (it's like Fort Knox so little danger of either) then it adds strength to the glimmer of hope of getting them back. In the case of stolen it would be absolute proof that they belonged to me which could save a lot of heartache.

Pets at Home insurance were offering a 5% discount if you bunny ws microchipped but I did a quote a few days ago and couldn't see that info, so maybe they don't now... I was hoping to get my money back on the cost of the chip within 3 years :(

yes mine are both done. i used to have an open garden and was paranoid that if they ever escaped from their shed they might bolt, so it offered peace of mind. i would probably get any additional buns done too, even though our garden is now enclosed just because it gives me that added security.

I was ready to have them chipped, but tbh, if they did get out, there's so many cats, dogs, and foxes around (not to mention the less desirable people out the back, or the traffic) that the likelihood of getting them back would be very slim, so for us, the stress of the visit etc isn't worth it.

There was a previous thread on here a few month ago asking the same question.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?351528-Are-any-of-your-rabbits-microchipped&highlight=MICROCHIP

All three of mine are chipped. For the sake of £10-15, we mostly did it for peace of mind in case they ever escaped.

Whilst not every vet or rescue might scan rabbits, if more people did microchip their rabbits these organisations would start to realise that they would need to scan rabbits as well. If we want to change the ideals of rabbits not being throw-away pets and prevent the 10,000's of rabbits suffering and going through rescues, we need to promote this idea ourselves. Just think how many people believed that dogs and cats should be microchips when it was first thought about and introduced. By next year all dogs will need to be microchipped which can only be a good thing.

I appreciate some rabbits will get quite badly stressed visiting the vets, but it can be done during neutering with no issues. Hershel and Harry were done whilst being neutered under anesthetic, and George was done on his follow-up appointment after his neuter as we had forgot to ask. It did upset George a little bit but no more than trimming his nails do and he was soon over it.

Last edited:
Ours aren't chipped, no. The likelihood of them escaping out of the back garden is so slim that it's not worth it in my opinion. I did consider it, briefly, last year but decided against it for the aforementioned reason.

The are outdoor bunnies, with their hutch in the shed (run attached) and they free-range twice daily (minimum) under strict supervision. The garden is rabbit proofed however so I doubt if they'd get out.

Yes but only one of the outdoor pairs. We were going to get the other outside pair done but just haven't prioritised it enough yet.

I enquired about getting mine done and I was advised not to. I was told that as my buns are small the likelyhood would be that the chip may move and cause them discomfort.

Definitely get them done. You won't regret it. You may regret not getting them done. Even if the chances are very slim, if your rabbit went missing or was stolen you would want to know that you had done everything possible to get them back. If they aren't chipped you will know that you didn't do everything possible.

For me the bun thats not chipped, is extremely friendly with people (she bounds up to them, all excited to see them - doesnt matter who it is), but very scared of other animals (except bunnies obviously), so quick to hide from predators. So i think if any bun is going to be found alive and well by someone, after escaping, then poppy is that bun. - Think i might be convincing myself she should be done.

Also whilst i dont think they'd get out of the hutch and run (touching wood, i dont want to jinx it), i think if they did, they could get out of the garden under the gate (its fitted as low as possible but the ground slants up, so it needs to be a few inches off the ground when closed so that it can open and my buns are only small).

The more i think about this the more i think i should. I think i might get her done when her partner has his vaccinations at the end of June. So that way there is no unnecessary vet visit.

Last edited:
One is, one isn't. Fíli was chipped by the rescue. I've thought about getting Mylo done but she lives in our bedroom and rarely goes outside, when she does I barely leave her side!

There was a previous thread on here a few month ago asking the same question.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?351528-Are-any-of-your-rabbits-microchipped&highlight=MICROCHIP

All three of mine are chipped. For the sake of £10-15, we mostly did it for peace of mind in case they ever escaped.

Whilst not every vet or rescue might scan rabbits, if more people did microchip their rabbits these organisations would start to realise that they would need to scan rabbits as well. If we want to change the ideals of rabbits not being throw-away pets and prevent the 10,000's of rabbits suffering and going through rescues, we need to promote this idea ourselves. Just think how many people believed that dogs and cats should be microchips when it was first thought about and introduced. By next year all dogs will need to be microchipped which can only be a good thing.

I appreciate some rabbits will get quite badly stressed visiting the vets, but it can be done during neutering with no issues. Hershel and Harry were done whilst being neutered under anesthetic, and George was done on his follow-up appointment after his neuter as we had forgot to ask. It did upset George a little bit but no more than trimming his nails do and he was soon over it.

I agree with this. There was a thread on here a few months ago where someone found a bunny in the park and took it home. Yes it was probably dumped but I was still surprised I was the only one who suggested that they take it to the vet to see it if was chipped and putting up found posters etc. If one of mine escaped, I wouldn't want someone to think "oh well it was probably dumped, finders keepers, I'm not going to bother checking if it had a previous home".

Both of mine are chipped. Bailey came chipped from the rescue and I had Ashley done as I thought, well why not, but I really doubt if she ever escaped she would survive longer than 12 hours away from home anyway.

I agree with this. There was a thread on here a few months ago where someone found a bunny in the park and took it home. Yes it was probably dumped but I was still surprised I was the only one who suggested that they take it to the vet to see it if was chipped and putting up found posters etc. If one of mine escaped, I wouldn't want someone to think "oh well it was probably dumped, finders keepers, I'm not going to bother checking if it had a previous home".

Both of mine are chipped. Bailey came chipped from the rescue and I had Ashley done as I thought, well why not, but I really doubt if she ever escaped she would survive longer than 12 hours away from home anyway.

I agree with this ^^^^^

I don't know whether to do it or not, I keep umming & aaahing about it. Well I'm like that with everything, I can never make a decision & stick to it, I keep changing my mind if given enough time (maximum 1 day!)

If mine were to escape, I'd want them chipping in the hope that someone caught them and took them to the bet, but it wouldn't occur to me to take a stray bun to the vets to check for a microchip, so it probably wouldn't either. But I do see you have to start somewhere and if everyone chipped their buns, it would be more widely known like dogs & cats. Then again, I live in the woods and there are lots of cats on my road too so the chances of them being caught by a human before they became dinner....

Then I think that mine live in the house and only go outside in summer when supervised. Although Slipper has jumped the fence once and burrowed under the decking once so I should either keep them in or chip them if they go out as well as making my garden more like fort knox than I thought it was. :?

AAAGH, SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!! :oops::oops::oops:

I'd say 80% of the bunnies we(RSPCA Walsall) have taken in this year have been strays/abandonment, some of them are extremely affectionate, friendly and in good condition. Not one of them has been microchipped. We have never had a microchipped bunny handed in and have only ever reunited one stray bunny. If a bunny is collected by an RSPCA inspector/ACO it could end up anywhere in the country so without a chip the chance of getting it back is pretty slim. We offer microchipping for £5.

Back