• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I hate bonding!

Rexripley

Mama Doe
:lol:
Dexter keeps humping Harley, she doesnt seem bothered by it, and when he stops she'll just wander off, I keep separating them after a while cos its all he does, but im wondering if i should just keep them together in a dog crate for a long time til they bond. i feel a bit mean doing that to them though :S
at the moment theyre in the bath and i just push him off if i think hes annoying her, or trys to hump her face

any tips?

You were advised that as he was only neutered within the last two weeks, bonding shouldn't attempted for at least 4-6 weeks. They will never bond properly until then, as he will just be driven by hormones and eventually she will get fed up and start running from him, which will only make him chase her more. He will still have hormones raging for weeks yet and that is why he keeps humping her. Lots of people told you that when you posted asking whether they should have their first "date" so to be honest I would take that advice and let him have the recommended 4-6 weeks to settle. :)

You were advised that as he was only neutered within the last two weeks, bonding shouldn't attempted for at least 4-6 weeks. They will never bond properly until then, as he will just be driven by hormones and eventually she will get fed up and start running from him, which will only make him chase her more. He will still have hormones raging for weeks yet and that is why he keeps humping her. Lots of people told you that when you posted asking whether they should have their first "date" so to be honest I would take that advice and let him have the recommended 4-6 weeks to settle. :)

i dont know which advice to listen to sometimes on here as i also was told that it was the best time as it would be the only thing on his mind instead of fighting :(

i dont know which advice to listen to sometimes on here as i also was told that it was the best time as it would be the only thing on his mind instead of fighting :(

That's complete rubbish, if bunnies don't like each other they will fight regardless. You have no way to guarantee whether buns will fight or not, and the constant humping is more likely to lead to a fight... Just the fact that male rabbits can impregnate females for up to two weeks after castration shows that they will still be driven by hormones, and like I said the testosterone can still be overwhelming for up to 6 weeks. The poor bun will be completely frustrated and frantic until those hormones die down and bonding just won't work this soon after a neuter. I was in the same position with Pud and Cupcake this time last year. I tried bonding two weeks after Pud's neuter and I could tell he really wanted to just snuggle with her (they did snuggle quite a lot) but his hormones were still raging and he was just humping her constantly. Eventually it began annoying Cupcake and she would snap at him. I gave up, tried again a month or two later when all Pud's hormones had gone and they were bonded within 2 hours, easiest bond I've ever done :)

the advice was from a rabbit sanctuary who bond all the time :S
ill leave them just now just swapping sides of the room and try again in a few weeks

the advice was from a rabbit sanctuary who bond all the time :S
ill leave them just now just swapping sides of the room and try again in a few weeks

Yeah I went back and had a look, shocked that such rubbish advice was given. It's common knowledge that rabbits need weeks to settle after neutering.

Back