• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt and middle ear infection?

lryancr

New Kit
Hey everyone, new to the forum. My beloved rabbit of more than four years, Mr. Peaches, has gotten a case of head tilt due to an ear infection. Last week, I noticed that his head was tilting to the left, his eyes were moving up and down, and he wasn't eating, so I took him to see the vet. After finding that Mr. Peaches had a middle ear infection, he prescribed Enrofloxacin (Baytril) and Meclizine as his treatment, to be given orally every 12 hours for 14 days. He also gave me Critical Care to feed him with through a syringe.

It has been 7 days and Mr. Peaches is showing confusing signs of improvement. His head is still tilted about 45 degrees, I still have to feed him Critical Care, and it seems like his loss of balance has gotten a bit worse. Before I was able to pick him up and move him around no problem, but now he flips on his back and turns over whenever I pick him up. His rapid eye movement, however, is better and his eyes are back to normal.

He still licks himself and runs around, but he continues to tilt his head. Is the Baytril treatment working? Should I take him back to my vet for another examination?

Thanks for all the help, Mr. Peaches and I really appreciate it! :D

Did the Vet prescribe a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam (Meloxicam) ? It is important to try to reduce inflammation caused by the infection as it is inflammation that contributes to clinical symptoms (head tilt). Also, ear infections are painful and Metacam is an analgesic too.

Baytril can sometimes be a useful antibiotic to treat ear infections, but sometimes a different antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics is needed. The course of treatment often needs to be of several weeks duration. Sometimes several months.

Also, some Vets prescribe a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur) as head tilt can be the result of EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi). However, the efficacy of this remains controversial. Not all Vets agree on how or when it should be used either as a prophylactic or to address clinical symptoms such as head tilt.

These links may be useful to read :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

http://www.onthewonk.com/?p=1.Home&trk=menu:Home

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...lt-and-rolling-U-D-Advise-for-Graeme-plz-pg34

No, the vet did not prescribe anything but the Baytril and the Meclizine. What should I do moving forward?

No, the vet did not prescribe anything but the Baytril and the Meclizine. What should I do moving forward?

Are you in the UK ?

You really need to be consulting with a Vet who has a lot of experience in treating Rabbits specifically. Not all 'Small Animal' Vets are clued up on Rabbit Medicine. If you are in the UK we could suggest some 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets if you let us know your approximate location.

I'm not sure I can add anything to jane's advice but just to say I am going through this same scenario with one of mine at the moment so I feel for you. It can be a long road to recovery but wishing you and your bun lots of luck.

I am actually in the US. My vet seems to be very knowledgeable about the problem, as he is a rabbit owner himself. I will take my rabbit back in a few days to see this vet if his condition doesn't get better.

My rabbit's rapid eye movement has stopped, so that must be a sign that he's improved. How long does recovery take under these scenarios?

My vet said that I caught Mr. Peaches' ear infection early, and he was only put on a 14 day dose.

Hi there:wave:Im sorry youre experiencing this problem.My rabbit had an ear infection last year.My particular vet at the time wasn't rabbit savvy and when I changed vet after afew months we had success with penicillin injections which did the trick within 4 weeks.He was also on Metacam and a drug called Marbocyl.We didn't find Baytril helped but I know every case is abit different.It sounds like your rabbit has improved but may need something alittle stronger to really tackle the infection.Good luck.:)

Hoppetylop, did your rabbit's head tilt go away completely? I'm really worried about Mr. Peaches right now.

Last edited:
The eye movement is normal and I believe due to their balance being off. My rabbit has a chronic infection which can't be cured, just managed, but he's learned to cope with the head tilt. I hope your bun recovers fully. Bayton might not be strong enough but vets always start with it because it's the safest. If he doesn't improve ask for stronger antibiotics. I think you need an anti inflammatory as well though.

Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it. Please keep the advice coming throughout the day, I'll be calling my vet in the afternoon to seek further treatment.

Mr. Peaches seems a lot happier since I've found time to play with him more, that's a start! :D

Hoppetylop, did your rabbit's head tilt go away completely? I'm really worried about Mr. Peaches right now.

He had the infection in both ears by the time the first vet had finished with him:(so his head tilt wasn't pronounced as one side counteracted the other if that makes sense.He is left with balance issues but that's because effective treatment was delayed.Mr Peaches may well recover from the headtilt-sometimes it takes alittle while even after the infection has gone.Rabbits generally cope well and learn to compensate.The infection has been caught early and if hes already showing signs of improvement it sounds very hopeful.:)

Back