• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phoebe - the boxing bunny

Schez

Mama Doe
I'm writing this with tears of joy in my eyes. :oops::oops::oops:

Nobody would get this but RU so I had to share. :love:

I rescued Phoebe back in October... She had been left in a hutch as she "couldn't be handled" and the family were ready to have a puppy join their family. They wanted to give "Upsy-Daisy" a better life so gave her to me.

Phoebe boxed at any hand that came near her, I didn't feel hurt by it, more sad that this poor little bunneh didn't associate hands with kindness, love and attention that she should have.
There have been moments where I thought I was helping her get somewhere with her fear of hands but then she would often revert back, or if she did let me stroke her, it didn't feel like she was enjoying it all too much. Her body would go stiff and her breathing would get rapid.

So, I would scale it back and try again. Just spending time lying next to her enclosure, sitting near her as she was free ranging etc, and then slowly offer my hand again.

The last week has been incredible. :love:

She's been accepting tiny bits of fenugreek crunchy from my fingers, and I've been allowed to stroke her, although still a little wary initially, she's just put herself into "Phoebe loaf bunny position" and chattered to me as I stroked. :love: it feels such a huge accomplishment that I'm bursting with pride for her. :love:

She's being spayed on Friday, and those who know me/know my ramble :oops: will know that I'm always anxious before a bunneh goes in. But I've been terrible about Phoebe. Worse than normal. I've even dreamt that she didn't come around from the procedure. I'm petrified of losing her.

She really is an amazing little soul. I feel like she's been observing me more of late too. I can't explain it too well but it's like she really is sussing me out... :shock::lol:

Well done Phoebe girl. So proud of you. :D :love:

Phoebe loves her hay den. :lol:

Aw that's lovely, it's such a nice feeling knowing you've helped them to trust people and saved them from potentially going to a less understanding/patient home only to be passed on again. It was similar with my Heidi, although she was PAH adoption and I'm not sure where she came from but she was so aggressive and fearful but I'm do proud now to see her and remember how she was. Good luck with the op I'm sure she'll be fine and u will probably see even more if a difference in her, Heidi changed straight away :love:

:love::love::love:
Thank you for your replies both. :wave:

Summer&Sky; thank you for sharing Heidi's story. :love: sometimes, love and patience really does conquer all. ;) I'm really hoping that the spay will help Phoebe emotionally too bless her. Though I love her whatever. :love:

You see? I knew people would understand here... :D

It sounds like you have done an amazing job with phoebe :thumb:
so many people would have given up and passed her on again.
Good luck with the spay, I'm sure she will be fine :) I'm a worrier too when it comes to my pets having to go in for ops :oops:

Aww, good job :thumb: she is gorgeous and you are lucky to have found each other :love: I know the feeling of crying tears of joy when you get to stroke a nervy bun, I was the same with my Dandy and Beano :oops: hope the spay goes smoothly and she bounces back from it fine :thumb:

Wonderful. Wish my lot would let me stroke them! Frosty and Mottle will both tolerate it but the others, no way. Hoping to new pair will be more accepting.

Phoebe looks great in her hay den. I like her little pink lips :love:

This has cheered me up today :wave:

What a fantastic story, I knew she would come around in your care :love: well done, you have done a fantastic job with her .......try not to worry too much about her spay, although I know that's easier said than done xxxx

Back