• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Red, orange, fawn or cream? Genetics query

ILSMarki8

New Kit
Hey.
About 8 days ago, one of my parent's does, a (Black) Chinchilla, bore her second litter. So far, she was mated with a Checkered Giant mix, a Broken Agouti and in first litter had an outcome of a Black Chinchilla, a Blue Chinchilla (???), two Agouties, three Black Pointed Whites and a Black Otter. In this litter however, she has only 4 babies, two Whites (based on doe's and buck's previous litter, most likely BPW), one Agouti Charlie and a kit of unknown colour. I have been wanting a Wide Band group rabbit for a long time, but all four colours of the group look alike (I am newbie to rabbits :)). So, I am posting pics of mum, dad and the unknown-coloured baby and hope someone around here can at least try to help me determain this baby's colouring.
DAD:

MUM:

Previous litter pair, a Black Otter and what I would call Blue Chinchilla based on the internet:

First litter:

Second litter:

The baby:

So, if anyone has experience in breeding rabbits of wide band group, or knows how those colors work, please help. Thank you in advance.

*PLEASE NOTE: My parents breed for commercial purposes and I do not take part in it, but am interested in genetics and breeding for looks!*

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'll be able to offer any advice. This is a pro-rescue forum so we're not really bothered about particular colours, breeds or looks. You might get the information you're after from a breeding forum.

I'm not sure we'll be able to offer any advice. This is a pro-rescue forum so we're not really bothered about particular colours, breeds or looks. You might get the information you're after from a breeding forum.

I am asking just in case that anyone has more experience in genetics then I do and can get from local breeders. Anyway, could you recommend a breeding forum in this case?

Where does it say this site is pro-rescue its called rabbits united which means anyone and everyone is free to join and shouldn't get slammed for choices made and for asking questions regarding bunnies.

Any way i'm sure on the colour but they are all beautiful bunnies and look forward to seeing more pictures :love:

I know nothing about colour genetics but the baby looks a very similar colour to my daisy when she was small, so I'd go with red/high Rufus orange. But that's just my opinion, I've nothing to back it up with!

Where does it say this site is pro-rescue its called rabbits united which means anyone and everyone is free to join and shouldn't get slammed for choices made and for asking questions regarding bunnies.

Any way i'm sure on the colour but they are all beautiful bunnies and look forward to seeing more pictures :love:

Erm, I didn't 'slam' anyone! I politely (I thought) advised that it probably wasn't the best forum on which to ask breeding and genetics questions and that a breeding forum would probably be better. People who breed are presumably looking at producing certain colours etc so surely that would be a better place to ask the question? I always thought RU was a pro-rescue forum? Anyone care to advise?

Original poster - I'm sorry but I don't personally know any breeding or genetics forums but I'm sure a google search would show some.

Last edited:
Breeding bunnies isn't something you do if you don't understand genetics. :?

If you want advice on breeding, then you need to go elsewhere. With over 67,000 rabbits in rescues all over the country, we will most definitely not want to help create more.

Everyone is welcome here :wave:

It's not the OP breeding buns, it's his parents.

I can't help with the question Marko, but we do have some members here who understand genetics and colouring. I think DemiS knows her stuff, hopefully she'll see this thread xx

The OP isn't asking for advice on breeding - it's been explained in the first post already that his parents breed for commercial purposes (and the baby is one that they've bred) but the OP is interested in finding out more about the genetics side of things. :wave:

The forum isn't actually pro-rescue (it just so happens that a lot of members support rescues) and was originally set up in the hope that, by encouraging discussion between rescuers, breeders and rabbit-related organisations, we could improve rabbit welfare across the board - hence the byline under the RU logo "Working in harmony for a better future". Everybody's welcome, so please make sure your replies reflect that ethos.

Sorry I can't help with your question, but we do have a few members who have knowledge of the genetics side so I'll amend your title a little so it's a little clearer what you're asking as they might miss it. :D

Erm, I didn't 'slam' anyone! I politely (I thought) advised that it probably wasn't the best forum on which to ask breeding and genetics questions and that a breeding forum would probably be better. People who breed are presumably looking at producing certain colours etc so surely that would be a better place to ask the question? I always thought RU was a pro-rescue forum? Anyone care to advise?

Original poster - I'm sorry but I don't personally know any breeding or genetics forums but I'm sure a google search would show some.

I thought that too.... thats why i joined... but these days its the rescues who seem to get "slammed" sad really :(
OP Sorry, i dont know any breeder forums either as its not somewhere i would frequent, hope you find something helpful

I think of ru as a pro-rabbit forum. I have learned so much about how to improve the quality of my rabbits' lives from being on here.

I dont know anything about genetics but whatever colour s/he is s/he is gorgeous.

Thank you Jack's-Jane and klw for help. As far as my knowledge in genetics is, I would say orange too. Secondly, I noticed some people getting upset about this topic. Now, I know I am a fresh member, but does it really maters if you adopted, rescued, bought or bred your rabbits? I mean, of course adopting/rescuing is a geat act, and breeding is not for non professionals, but at the end of the day, isn't it about making our bunnies' lives better?

I personally do not agree on what my parents do (commercial breeding), but the way I see it is this; those animals are bred with a purpose. I am interested in the way genetics work, specially in rodents (yeah, I do know bunnies are not rodents) and other small mammals. In Croatia, where I live, the sitazion on breeding rabbits is really bad and I would rather use the opportunity to learn about genetics from rabbits my family breeds then starting a new rabbitcy and produce more unwanted rabbits. The way I see it is pretty much alike others considere to be rescuing.

Thank you Jack's-Jane and klw for help. As far as my knowledge in genetics is, I would say orange too. Secondly, I noticed some people getting upset about this topic. Now, I know I am a fresh member, but does it really maters if you adopted, rescued, bought or bred your rabbits? I mean, of course adopting/rescuing is a geat act, and breeding is not for non professionals, but at the end of the day, isn't it about making our bunnies' lives better?

I personally do not agree on what my parents do (commercial breeding), but the way I see it is this; those animals are bred with a purpose. I am interested in the way genetics work, specially in rodents (yeah, I do know bunnies are not rodents) and other small mammals. In Croatia, where I live, the sitazion on breeding rabbits is really bad and I would rather use the opportunity to learn about genetics from rabbits my family breeds then starting a new rabbitcy and produce more unwanted rabbits. The way I see it is pretty much alike others considere to be rescuing.

Hi :wave:. I genuinely wasn't having a go at your original post and honestly thought I was being helpful advising you to find a breeding forum. In the past on RU, whenever anyone has dared to mention breeding in any shape or form, they've been jumped on and told this is a pro-rescue forum and that breeding (or even discussing breeding) is the devil's work. I was trying to save you from that fate before an arguement started. However, it seems everyone feels my comment made you feel unwelcome when I was only trying to help :(. I'm sorry if my original post was taken the wrong way as that certainly was not my intention.

I'll steer well clear of any such posts in future :shock:.

I think of ru as a pro-rabbit forum. I have learned so much about how to improve the quality of my rabbits' lives from being on here.

I think that's an excellent way of putting it :)

I'm afraid I don't know the genetics either. The British Rabbit Council are the organisation for breeding in the UK: www.thebrc.org they might be able to point you at some information, or there maybe a similar organisation in your country.

Hi :wave:. I genuinely wasn't having a go at your original post and honestly thought I was being helpful advising you to find a breeding forum. In the past on RU, whenever anyone has dared to mention breeding in any shape or form, they've been jumped on and told this is a pro-rescue forum and that breeding (or even discussing breeding) is the devil's work. I was trying to save you from that fate before an arguement started. However, it seems everyone feels my comment made you feel unwelcome when I was only trying to help :(. I'm sorry if my original post was taken the wrong way as that certainly was not my intention.

I'll steer well clear of any such posts in future :shock:.

I have no problem with you. I like how you advised me this is not the perfect place to seek an answer to my question and I am thankful. I see that you are more experienced with this forum and do believe you have some bad memories of other members being attacked for posting about breeding. I am just not glad some went on you saying how this is not only the pro-rescue forum.

Back