• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Someone I know has recently got 2 unneutered male bunnies from a well-known stores adoption centre. They were advised to get them neutered within the next 6 months.

I don't want to be heavy-handed in the advice I give my friend but at the same time I want to make sure she takes seriously the risk of them fighting.

I haven't been on RU so much for a long time and feeling a bit rusty with my advice-giving!

TIA.

Last edited:
You have given some good advice. Neuter as soon as practical, and before problems set in. Once they have started fighting, it will be difficult to get them together again. There is no reason why they couldn't be done at the same time as well - then the hormones will fade at the same time.

Also get them vaccinated - but you will need a gap of a couple of weeks between neutering and vaccinating. If pushed, I would probably neuter first if they are old enough (to avoid the fighting), then vaccinate. If too young / undeveloped to neuter now, vaccinate first, then neuter.

Boys quite often start fighting at 14 weeks so you could point this out. The trouble is she won't know when they become 14 weeks as it is spot on sometimes. Let's hope she takes what you said seriously.

Thanks for that :wave: I was just feeling unsure of ages of hormones etc kicking in as I've not had to think about that sort of thing for a long time.

Last edited:
Thanks for that :wave: I was just feeling unsure of ages of hormones etc kicking in as I've not had to think about that sort of thing for a long time.

I don't know how much I am getting home about the fighting issue but I can't really hammer it home any more than I already am.

She has said why don't they neuter them in the store, and I said because it eats in to their profit margin. She then said that they have the voucher they do nowadays for the free neutering - so that's made me look an idiot! Ho hum! :lol:

I *think* it the charity that works with Pets at Home to run the "adoption centre" that pays for this not the pets at home store themselves. The adoption centre is also run by pets at home as more of an ethical thing, it should not be making them profits. Tbh not neutering before hand is probably more about the hassle of having to neuter the buns (i.e monitoring them after ops) and the fact that the stay at pets at home would be prolonged and thus cost more in food and staff time. The voucher acts as an incentive for people to buy from the adoption centre instead of just getting one of the cute, fluffy looking babies out of the main bit (they don't come with a voucher).

Last edited:
I *think* it the charity that works with Pets at Home to run the "adoption centre" that pays for this not the pets at home store themselves. The adoption centre is also run by pets at home as more of an ethical thing, it should not be making them profits. Tbh not neutering before hand is probably more about the hassle of having to neuter the buns (i.e monitoring them after ops) and the fact that the stay at pets at home would be prolonged and thus cost more in food and staff time. The voucher acts as an incentive for people to buy from the adoption centre instead of just getting one of the cute, fluffy looking babies out of the main bit (they don't come with a voucher).

Oh don't the general PAH babies come with a voucher too? I just assumed it was all of them! I thought that a local charity benefitted from the adoption fee in the adoption centre bit, I didn't realise it was a charity that funded the vouchers, I thought PAH funded the voucher scheme as a kind of "loss-leader" to get people in to the stores and buy stuff and to get them to come back and use their vets again.

Either way I have got that bit muddled up on her FB page so I hope that doesn't undermine the important issues I was trying to get across. :oops:

I was also thinking its about the aftercare and the facilities to look after the bunnies afterwards :thumb:

Oh don't the general PAH babies come with a voucher too? I just assumed it was all of them! I thought that a local charity benefitted from the adoption fee in the adoption centre bit, I didn't realise it was a charity that funded the vouchers, I thought PAH funded the voucher scheme as a kind of "loss-leader" to get people in to the stores and buy stuff and to get them to come back and use their vets again.

Either way I have got that bit muddled up on her FB page so I hope that doesn't undermine the important issues I was trying to get across. :oops:

I was also thinking its about the aftercare and the facilities to look after the bunnies afterwards :thumb:

No they don't :( they don't care enough about their animals to 'waste' money on stuff like that :roll: they will 'advise' people to get it done if you have someone who vaguely knows what they're talking about, but they won't give vouchers. They don't vaccinate either. It's again just 'advised'.

No they don't :( they don't care enough about their animals to 'waste' money on stuff like that :roll: they will 'advise' people to get it done if you have someone who vaguely knows what they're talking about, but they won't give vouchers. They don't vaccinate either. It's again just 'advised'.

Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know both of you, I didn't realise it wasn't across the board. I am very out of touch with all that sort of stuff.

Im not entirely sure but i think it is the charity that pays for the voucher - thats what i was told anyway. I dont know who gets the adoption fee, i would assume the charity.

Back