• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poorly Maurice :-( gutted post 12

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Went upstairs to sort some laundry, stopped to fuss the bunnies who were at the top of the stairs in their usual spot. Noticed Maurice was sat sort of squiffy and all wrong. He doesn't seem to be able to use his back legs properly. Did the crunchie test and he wasn't interested. Even tried auntie Liz biscuits (that usually he'll snatch and box for) but he didn't want them.

Took him to the vet ( not my usual) who after feeling his tummy (normal) went to try manipulating his legs....so I stopped his and made him look at Maurices xrays (which are horrendous) so he knew what he was dealing with when he did move them. Maurice was completely unreactive, which is unusual in itself. He normally goes nuts when you try and touch his feet.

He did manage to get himself back into his box though (also not normal...he hates the box) but it looked a struggle.

As he's already on a high dose of metacam he's had a shot of vetergesic (sp) to try and rule out a strain.

His was at 5, we decided to bring him home until 7 to see if he picks up, but he's not at all :-( he's just sat all wrong in the litter tray.

I think we'll be taking him back to the vets.

I'll be having him re-xrayed I think, see if anything has happened.

So worried about him, with all of his problems I don't know where we can go. If it's back/foot/hip related I don't know if we can increase his pain relief metacam wise, and tramadol had a negative effect on is NRA :-(

Any positive thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated....I'm so worried about him

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have no advice, but sending vibes and good wishes to Maurice and hope he's more comfortable soon.

:cry:

The Vetergesic will make him very sleepy as it is an opiate

I really hope that he will show some signs of improvement xx

They've been admitted for observation over night.

Vet didn't seem to think it was worth 're-xraying, but i'll be having it done anyway. Hopefully it will be my usual vet tomorrow.

She tends to humour me :oops:

I'll do absolutely everything I can for him, this evening I think the emphasis is on fluids and eating.....and they'll start looking for the cause tomorrow.

Unlike last time he went into stasis, there are actually other symptoms. I just don't know how they can tell if it's neurological or muscular/soft tissue problems :?

Thank you everyone.

i know it sounds silly, but just been to the loo and not fallen over them. Made me cry.

Hate it when they aren't here :(

They've been admitted for observation over night.

Vet didn't seem to think it was worth 're-xraying, but i'll be having it done anyway. Hopefully it will be my usual vet tomorrow.

She tends to humour me :oops:

I'll do absolutely everything I can for him, this evening I think the emphasis is on fluids and eating.....and they'll start looking for the cause tomorrow.

Unlike last time he went into stasis, there are actually other symptoms. I just don't know how they can tell if it's neurological or muscular/soft tissue problems :?

If it's early ec then head tilt may well appear in next 48 hours.

Thanks twigs.

will he still show as positive from last time or is it worth getting him tested do you think?

Unfortunately Maurice passed away during the night :cry:

Although he was at the vets, Marnie was with him.....so at least he wasn't alone.

I'm completely devastated, we've decided not to pm, vet thinks it would be inconclusive. Spoken to twigs who thinks it may have been a stroke or sudden onset of ec.

I'll be giving Marnie a course of panacur just in case.

Thank you all for your support.....but mostly thank you to Twigs for letting me give this beautiful grumpy little man a home for 18 months.x

Oh no... I'm so very sorry :cry:
Binky free Maurice
Sending you ((((((((((((huge hugs)))))))))))) Bluesmum. I hope Marnie will be alright. xxxx

Back