• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibly eaten plastic bag. Advice.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
This is actually my chinchillas but as their digestive systems are so similar to rabbits I'd be greatful for some advice.

Last night they pulled the handle of a carrier bag into the cage. It was completely my fault for leaving it too close. They've shredded it and it's possible that one or all three have eaten some. What would you do in this situation? I've given lots of fresh hay and a couple of raisins to check they were still interested And they were. The thing is they're nocturnal and I checked them at 1pm so they were really sleepy anyway. I was just going to keep an eye on them, check them later when they're awake and rush to the vets if need be.

Is there anything else I can do, or anything I can give like pineapple juice to keep things passing through smoothly?

Thanks. :(

My Frankie bunny did this, I left a hay bag next to her wire and she pulled it up to the bars and ate lots of 20p sized holes out of it! I rang the emergency vets immediately and they said that even if they saw her there and then as it was a thin clear plastic bag nothing would have shown up on an x ray until it caused a blockage if it was going to at all anyway.

I just had to keep an eye on her, and took her to my regular vet the next day for extra reassurance! They said the same. He was very reassuring and said she would have chewed it up quite small anyway, and it would probably just pass in the normal bumbles and I could break them apart to have a look if I wanted but other than that just to just monitor output/behaviour, nothing especially needed else to do etc. She was absolutely fine, I never did see the plastic come back out but then only started checking 24 hours later but Frankie bumbles so much overnight I am sure it probably passed before then. I broke so many bumbles in half to look for about a week after! :oops:

They are devils. ;) Don't worry at all, the amount of times someone has accidently put something, usually plastic bags against the chins hutch has been at least a dozen times. They also chewed through one those pink cooling ice pod, until the liquid was coming out and another type of cooler. That did freak me out.

The blinds in the back room have been eaten, along with a bit of sofa a few weeks ago. I have found shredded plastic in their hutch when they have managed to drag it in, even though it was a few inches away from the hutch. I have to be so careful, even the broom handle has been chewed at the end.

Back