• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I do another course of Panacur?

tommo1975

Young Bun
I gave Boris a 28 day course of Panacur as a precaution back in late December through to late January (plus weekly bleach cleaning of the hutch) due to incontinence back in early December, something I feared may be due to E.C.

That problem returned in February - or likely never went away - as per my recent tread : http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...E-Neither-a-neurological-degenerative-disease

I got a copy of the vets notes today for my pet insurance claim and on it the vet notes his belief the condition was "possibly sequel to previous EC infection", something he never explicitly stated in the consultation.

Reading that statement has now got me wondering whether there would be any value in doing another 28 day course of Panacur and if I did would it cause any issues? Boris is currently on Metacam, something he wasn't on during the 28 day course of Panacur in Dec/Jan.

Boris continues to exhibit slight mobility issues with his back legs and urinary incontinence (although not to the extent of him being soaked with urine, it's more like he dribbles on occasion and doesn't have as much control as he should). Neither issue has shown any signs of getting worse in recent weeks. I'm now wondering whether he has an active E.C. infection, hence the ongoing issues or whether if he had E.C, the ongoing issues are caused by permanent damage caused by it.

What would others do in this situ? Another 28 day course? Not bother unless problems got worse? The vet upon hearing I had given him a 28 day course of Panacur dropped the subject of E.C. whilst also stating his belief testing for it was largely worthless.

I'm just bumping this up foryou. I personally don't think you need to give Boris another course of Panacur as I don't think that is what he is suffering from, although I'm not an expert on rabbit health. I had an elderly bun who used to lift one hind leg up like Boris does on the video and eventually she lost the use in both back legs and I had her pts. Wasn't sure what the problem was but as she was 8 yrs old I thought it was age related and the Vet wasn't sure either. Hope you can find out if there is a solution for Boris's problem. What breed is he?

What breed is he?

Rex cross (although crossed with what is a question, one vet guessed "crossed with something spotty!").

I had an elderly bun who used to lift one hind leg up like Boris does on the video and eventually she lost the use in both back legs and I had her pts.

Boris' leg lifting currently only happens when he's eating and even then, not on every occassion, which is strange.

The vet warned me his condition is likely progressive, so I'm prepared for the eventuality that like your elderly bun, he'll eventually get to the stage where he loses use of both legs and has to be PTS. :(

Back