• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please fill out this survey on pet shops :)

vee-jay

Mama Doe
Please complete this survey if you have bought your pet rabbit(s) from a pet shop, this is not relevant to rescue bunnies or those acquired via classified adverts or other sources.

The purpose of this survey is to ascertain the conditions, knowledge & level of advice you received when you purchased your pet rabbit(s).

The survey is completely anonymous & the data will be used for the purpose of the introduction of improved Rabbit Welfare.

Please complete ALL three parts, you will find the links to all three sections on our webpage at

http://petshoprabbitquestionnaire.webs.com/

thank you! :)

I haven't ever personally purchased from a rabbit from a pet store. But on Thursday I had to pop in a major pet store to get something I'd run out of. Whilst there I witnessed a purchase being made by a man from the store manager. The man clearly hadn't a clue about rabbit's, and wasn't even listening to anything she had to say to him, and when she asked him questions all he said was 'yes yes' in a dismissive and impatient way. He bought no food or bedding, all he left with was the bunny in a box, and a small free bag of hay and a water bottle - he didn't even get a basic care sheet. This all happened in a matter of 15-20mins.

I spoke to the manager after and voiced my concerns. But even though she did seem flustered by the incident, she couldn't bring herself to discuss it with me. She just said, 'I tried to talk to him, I just hope he listened to some of the information I gave him'.

I left the store distraught and burst into tears when I got in the car.... Sorry I just had to share this, as I can't stop thinking about that poor little bunny :cry:

So I was thinking, can I fill the survey in based on what I saw?

I haven't ever personally purchased from a rabbit from a pet store. But on Thursday I had to pop in a major pet store to get something I'd run out of. Whilst there I witnessed a purchase being made by a man from the store manager. The man clearly hadn't a clue about rabbit's, and wasn't even listening to anything she had to say to him, and when she asked him questions all he said was 'yes yes' in a dismissive and impatient way. He bought no food or bedding, all he left with was the bunny in a box, and a small free bag of hay and a water bottle - he didn't even get a basic care sheet. This all happened in a matter of 15-20mins.

I spoke to the manager after and voiced my concerns. But even though she did seem flustered by the incident, she couldn't bring herself to discuss it with me. She just said, 'I tried to talk to him, I just hope he listened to some of the information I gave him'.

I left the store distraught and burst into tears when I got in the car.... Sorry I just had to share this, as I can't stop thinking about that poor little bunny :cry:

So I was thinking, can I fill the survey in based on what I saw?

Ill as for you bunniemum, we might be able to use what you saw as i think we are still collecting information about pet shops. that sounds terrible :( im pretty sure that pets at home are aloud to with hold sale if they think the home will be unsuitable, so I dont know why she didnt just refuse him.

I saw the survey on fb recently and filled it out then. I've bought a few pets from pet shops (i know! I won't be doing it again!!) even though the most recent was December 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill as for you bunniemum, we might be able to use what you saw as i think we are still collecting information about pet shops. that sounds terrible :( im pretty sure that pets at home are aloud to with hold sale if they think the home will be unsuitable, so I dont know why she didnt just refuse him.

Thankyou.. and yes I thought they were too.

I filled it out. I imulse bought Frosty and Snowflake from our local pet shop and was given excellent feeding advice but the cages they sell are awful and one lady who works there said that the pens they were in were 'easily big enough for your two'. They really werent.

I kept them in a dog crate base free ranging in my room. I had found RU by then (the evening that I reserved them in fact) so was able to get a lot of great information before I even got them home.

Its so sad that anybody can just walk in and buy a rabbit ...

That was November 2012 and I now have six rescue rabbits as well!!!

Just wanted to add that although I bought Harvey from a pet shop (well, garden centre) I would only ever rescue from now on!

Thank you to everyone who has filled this in :)
Just going to bump this up for anyone who didnt see, we need around 50 more people to fill it in

I've completed them and also added a note to explain that even though I bought him on impulse I'm not daft I did my research immediately and consider myself a good rabbit owner but I have to say I do feel guilty for knowing nothing before and buying him based on 'he's so gorgeous I'm in love' (although he was sexed wrongly so I thought 'she'!)

Back