• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dragging hay across the room???

Britannia

Warren Scout
I have to house rabbits that are generally happy and healthy. Their base is the dining room where they have their water bowl, sleeping area, play tunnels, toys, litter tray and hay rack.

We keep the hay rack topped up all day so they have unlimited access. For two years they seemed quite happy with this but over the last couple of weeks their behaviour has changed and rather than eat their hay at their hay rack they pull out a good sized pile and drag it off. They still eat some of the hay at the hay rack so they don't seem to have taken a dislike to the hay rack as such they just seem to like multiple areas to eat their hay from.

It doesn't appear to be nesting behaviour - they are both neutered - they are both dragging the hay to another location and eating it rather laying on it and they aren't taking it into their little sleeping area.

At first I thought something might have scared them as their litter tray and hay rack are in front of the patio window, but they yesterday Bob pulled out a good handful dragged it up onto the low windowsill and laid down to munch on it. Five minutes later Kizzy did the same.

We have a 'through' dinning room/living room when we are out we have a couple of wire mesh run panels which keep the buns in the dinning room area. When we are at home we move the run panels and they have the run of both rooms. Last night we ended up with little piles of hay in front of the telly, under the coffee table and behind a chair.

Now I don't want to discourage my buns from eating hay and I'm not dreadfully house proud but the clean up is now getting at bit out of hand.

Any ideas on why this behaviour has started and how I can confine it back to their area?

me do dis cos me bunny. wabbit. pulls hay, digs carpet, poos at the door, wees behind sofa. comes wid me ears. me cute, no?;)

Quite a few of mine are pulling hay from their litter tray onto the floor, then use it as a toilet. It's the time of the year I think :roll:

Mine like to pull the hay out but they don't take it anywhere, they just dump it on the floor next to the feeder and then eat it off the floor there!

Mine come in every evening and do this! even if I put their hay basket where they move it, they just move it somewhere else! very odd!

Mine do this...they're bunnies so they'll do whatever the heck they want for no reason at all :lol:

Henry has even started waiting until I've just cleaned them out and then digging under the hay, finding a corner of the newspaper and dragging the whole lot across the bedroom floor :roll:

Back