• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit charging and nip occasionally

welshlass

New Kit
Sometimes when going to put food into my 12 week old male rabbits cage or even going to smooth him inside his cage. He will charge at me and nip me.

Is there a reason why he is doing this? I kno my hand is in his territory but he has only just started doing this mostly when I'm going to grab his food bowl to fill it up in the mornings.

Apart from this he is a lovely bunny, he will sit on your lap for ages and be brushed and will run around the room in circles doing laps around the sofa when his out for hours lol!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Has he got a bedroom in hi s cage because if there is somewhere to hide they will run in there but if nowhere to hide they attack instead. Your bunny is getting older now when hormones start to rear their ugly head - are you going to get him neutered soon? I would think it's best not to enter his space and do the cleaning etc when he is out and about.

Does he have 24/7 access to a run? Sometimes a lack of space can make them more territorial.

It likely to be related to the hormones kicking in and neutering may help it. It would be worth double checking he's a boy too as it's more common in girls. You don't want him to learn that behaviours okay so try and find ways to avoid creating the situation that triggers it eg call him out of the cage for a treat to get the bowl or do it whilst he's out exercising. Another option would be to remove the bowl and just scatter his food.

Back