• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm having a really bad week rabbit wise :(

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I'm just pleased I have a blooming good vet

D8A5DBB2-6C5B-497E-A733-83C1C0113EC5.jpg

Poor little girl (the vet checked and it's a she) - I went down this morning and it was just flapping around. Clean break to the tibia apparently :(

I am wondering if mum is starting to get a bit clumsy. Can you separate except at milk times and watch them at milk times??

I am wondering if mum is starting to get a bit clumsy. Can you separate except at milk times and watch them at milk times??

Problem is I don't know when milk time is. I only saw it once and the minute Poppy saw me she stood up and went up onto her shelf with a grunt. She doesn't like being observed while feeding. If I seperate them i think they won't get any milk which at 4 weeks I think us a bit soon.

They are in a puppy crate and I've noticed a couple of times this bun resting/sleeping with one or both legs sticking through the bars. I wonders if she'd got startled it just binky'd and caused the break. I don't know if that could even happen.

Problem is I don't know when milk time is. I only saw it once and the minute Poppy saw me she stood up and went up onto her shelf with a grunt. She doesn't like being observed while feeding. If I seperate them i think they won't get any milk which at 4 weeks I think us a bit soon.

They are in a puppy crate and I've noticed a couple of times this bun resting/sleeping with one or both legs sticking through the bars. I wonders if she'd got startled it just binky'd and caused the break. I don't know if that could even happen.

Sounds like this could be a possible cause. I have perspex strips cable tied around the bottom of my crate, as I once caught one of bunnies sleeping with her back legs stretched out through the bars behind her. You could try weaving some strips of cardboard through the gaps to stop little feet from poking out, although you'd have to watch that they don't start chewing it. The other thing is you will need to also watch out they don't get their heads caught in the bars either as they grow. As that's another dumb thing one of mine did when he was younger :roll:

I completely stopped using dog crates years ago because the gaps are far to big for bunnies and I felt the risk of injury was just too high :(

Poor baby bunny, I hope the break heals well and quickly x

Alot of people use crates for big buns or at least adult buns just as a base they're not locked in, injuries happen when bunnies are locked in which obviously with baby buns you have no choice that's why people who say they don't or stopped using crates for babies due to risk of injuries

I would definately block off the gaps around the lower part of the crate - cardboard would work as a temporary measure whilst you sort out something like ply board or perspex.

I really hope little bunny heals up nicely and has a speedy recovery as possible.

All the bunnies can free range

Mine are free range too - she was just chilling inside when I noticed her legs poking out where we walk by, so was worried one of us might tread on them. The incident with him occurred when he was outside the crate and spotted a stray pellet that had slipped under the inner tray and so he wedged his nose in to get at it. It's just the lower part of the crate that I would advise blocking as the gaps are much wider.

Sending speedy recovery wishes for little bunny!

Awww poor wee bunny :( I wonder if Poppy is getting a bit overexcited. My daisy was one of two littermates. She had a sister as well (who at one point I nearly chose instead of Levi until I found out she was a girl, because I wanted a boy/girl pairing, so lucky, i can't imagine my life without Levi) but her mum Saphire basically started getting too boisterous and was jumping on the kits, Daisy was ok, but her sister got really stressed out and died. After which Daisy was moved in with Levi to stop the same thing happening to her.

Poor little love, I hope the break mends well and quickly. Sending trillions of healing vibes.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Back