• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen & Page food

I've always been told that you should only buy enough food to last 3 months or else it starts to go stale. So I only ever buy 3kg bags of science selective.

should have use by date on sack..aftet that if it has been kept dry and secure..it will still be ok for a couple of months..then will start losing vits ect

should have use by date on sack..aftet that if it has been kept dry and secure..it will still be ok for a couple of months..then will start losing vits ect

I don't actually feed A&P so I don't have a sack to look at unfortunately. But I'm considering feeding it. However, as it only comes in 20kg sacks, I'm interested to know what the average shelf-life is. It's not worth me swapping if a sack only lasts, say, 3 months, as I'd never get through it that quickly with just 3 bunnies.

I don't actually feed A&P so I don't have a sack to look at unfortunately. But I'm considering feeding it. However, as it only comes in 20kg sacks, I'm interested to know what the average shelf-life is. It's not worth me swapping if a sack only lasts, say, 3 months, as I'd never get through it that quickly with just 3 bunnies.

Why not try Fibafirst

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Well not you, I mean try the Bunnies on it !!

I'm not sure where you are but I have lots which I'm unlikely to use in time. If you want some (free) PM me and I'll send some. In some small way, it may make up for all the help I've received with forage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where you are but I have lots which I'm unlikely to use in time. If you want some (free) PM me and I'll send some. In some small way, it may make up for all the help I've received with forage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's such a kind offer :D but I'd rather you gave it to someone who is far more deserving than me, such as your nearest rescue :wave:.

I would but one of the main ingredients is alfalfa :?. Isn't this supposed to be bad?

Not 'bad' but if you have a Rabbit prone to bladder sludge it is best avoided due to the high calcium content.

SS contains Alfalafa

COMPOSITION
Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheatfeed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybeanmeal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate.

taken from here http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit/

Not 'bad' but if you have a Rabbit prone to bladder sludge it is best avoided due to the high calcium content.

SS contains Alfalafa

COMPOSITION
Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheatfeed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybeanmeal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate.

taken from here http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit/

So it does! I'd never noticed that before :oops:. Such a bad bunny mummy :(. Perhaps I'll pick up a box tomorrow and try it out. I'm nearly at the end of my latest bag of SS and whilst I have no problems with it, the stories other people have told of buns choking on it have made me have a serious think about whether there's something better out there. My buns have a tiny amount of pellets anyway so anything I feed is really only a treat.

Alfalfa is also higher in protein than many other hays as it is part of the pea family rather than a grass like timothy hay :wave:

I've used a+p for the last 10yrs it does have about 3 months bbf on it i have 9 bunnies and a sack last just over a month i feed a mug full between 2 bunnies never had any problems with it all are in fabulous condition and good weights there all brilliant hay eaters as well

I've used a+p for the last 10yrs it does have about 3 months bbf on it i have 9 bunnies and a sack last just over a month i feed a mug full between 2 bunnies never had any problems with it all are in fabulous condition and good weights there all brilliant hay eaters as well

I'd never get through that much in 3 months unfortunately. Am going to try Fibafirst and see how we get on :thumb:.

I tried a and p to try and save some money as it's half the price of SS. But the bunnies were constantly hungry on it and I ended up having to give them twice as much in weight as I dis the SS so it wasn't any cheaper in the end and they were so happy when I put them back on SS

I tried a and p to try and save some money as it's half the price of SS. But the bunnies were constantly hungry on it and I ended up having to give them twice as much in weight as I dis the SS so it wasn't any cheaper in the end and they were so happy when I put them back on SS

That's interesting - someone else said their's lost weight on A&P so maybe it's very low in calories too? I'd better put my fatties on it quick :lol:.

The shelf life is short usually only a month or two ahead of when we buy it. But as we use half a sack a day that isn't problem for us. It is a shame that it makes it impractical for people with only a few rabbits to buy. It really is a great feed.

Back