PDA

View Full Version : four bunnehs... (not pics)

happybun
28-02-2014, 01:42 PM
four bunnehs in one 30x30" enclosure. two pairs who have known each other all their lives, been living nearby for two plus years, side by side for one. had a lot of cleaning out to do this morning and bunged them all in somewhere new together. don't know how long my nerve will hold. they have a corner each like tag teams, and come out occasionally to spar. :shock: got to get back, they're upstairs, where i can see them from bed, bathroom and most things except the computer. :shock:

esupi
28-02-2014, 01:44 PM
ooh be brave!
This is certainly a productive use of today!
Good luck!

Jackaroonie
28-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Good luck Happybun! You're certainly very brave!

We must see pictures though! It's a must.

susie bun
28-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Good luck, do keep us updated. :wave:

happybun
28-02-2014, 04:03 PM
its like a stake out. corner each, dozing and glaring.
no humping and no trying to be together.
cecile demanded grooming but everybun told her to get lost.
matthew ousted charlie from his corner. half an hour later, charlie took it back.
tabitha is sitting quiet, glaring at everybun and hoping it will all be over soon.
i've got the rabbit room empty. i've bleached part of the floor and the windows are open for airing.
i'm getting big ideas about repainting the walls. :lol:
i don't have a camera, jack...

esupi
28-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Sounds good! I think you're really brave!

Barn Yard Bunnies
28-02-2014, 05:15 PM
One word.

Camera.

Fee
28-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Way to go Happybun..You have nerves of steel.....

i hope this bunny tag team works out....

all the best
fee x

happybun
28-02-2014, 07:01 PM
One word.

Camera.

another word... money! i do really need a camera, i have for years. maybe in a month or two. depends. i've spent extra money on sandpaper and polyfilla today. :oops: its only my first day of 'not spending'. :(

Clare-uk
28-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Good luck with the bonding :) everything crossed for them all

tonibun
28-02-2014, 07:08 PM
another word... money! i do really need a camera, i have for years. maybe in a month or two. depends. i've spent extra money on sandpaper and polyfilla today. :oops: its only my first day of 'not spending'. :(

No good having a camera and not computer savvy (talking about myself, you understand!) Good luck with the bunnies.

tulsi
28-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Ooooo another quad. Very best of luck. I loved bonding my bunch (despite the stress). We need some more descriptions. My lot did some separate glaring at first. They also did a bit of chasing and fur pulling after a while.

I hope you manage to get some sleep. !!!

happybun
28-02-2014, 10:24 PM
matthew has been the only one flopping, and at one point was flopped against his sister, tabitha. message to the bunny world - " see me, matthew? i'm boss bunny. you bunnehs don't bother me one bit. and nor does mummeh, who will speak firmly to me if i pull out your fur. so i'm just lying here to show you how relaxed and in charge i am."
they've all had carrot slices. everybun is eating hay. they don't love each other but they aren't fighting. cecile is sphinxing, charlie's just podding about eating everything he can find. tabby rabbit is keeping out of everybun's way.
its fairly quiet. but they have lived side by side with only puppy pen panels (no safety gap) for quite a long time.

tulsi
28-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Sounds promising. Frosty did a lot of 'I am in charge' type flopping too!!!

I do hope it all works out.

susie bun
01-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Continuing vibes for your foursome.

What colour and type are the buns?

happybun
01-03-2014, 12:13 AM
all mini lops, two brother-sister pairs. m + t are bigger than c+c.
m+t were orange as babies. t is definitely sooty fawn now, m is heading towards a brighter agouti, i'd say. their mum was agouti.
charlie is white sealpoint, but is pale grey at the moment for the winter... or summer... his coat isn't looking too bad so i don't know where he's up to with moulting.
cecile is a really dark grey. she's a beautiful little bunny. not black, but very dark.
they won't go together, visually, as a foursome, which has put me off bonding them before. but they're going on for eight years old (june birthdays) and i'd rather they were together now than have to bond them when somebun goes to the bridge.
they all came from breeders. don't be shocked. you can see mat and tab here:
http://www.torviewlops.co.uk/favouritepics.htm
scroll right to the bottom. pic bottom left. matthew on left, tabby on right. middle bun (their brother) had gone to a new home before i met them.
the fourth picture above that is them again.
counting from the bottom, right column, the eleventh pic up is tabby, posed like that to hide her black mark that makes her unfit for show. her face is too dwarf anyway, for mini lop classes. matthew was perfect though. i don't show buns. but he's such a handsome boy.
this is charlie:
http://www.freewebs.com/blackshaw-bunnies/apps/photos/photo?photoid=15170097
in fact, photos 1,2,3 in that album are charlie and cecile (not cecil, as it says).
picture 7 is charlie, cecile and my own kit...

Captain Helen
01-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Hope it goes well! xx

happybun
01-03-2014, 01:00 AM
they're having supper. all quiet. seem to be ignoring each other. they're getting through the hay, though. never known them eat so much. it must be a case of 'i'll eat this so they can't have it!'
i'll take up some greens when i go to bed. see if they can agree on who gets what...

mushlett
01-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Best of luck xx

happybun
01-03-2014, 09:34 AM
"is we best friends yet, mummeh? no, we is not!"

well, i still have four, that's something.

this morning, they were in their original pairs, at either side of the pen. i suppose that's ok. i'm giving them more space shortly. matthew and charles had a bit of a scrap earlier. i might leave ikea until later in the week...

eta: extended the pen. "ooh, now we is fighting mummeh. dares you leave the room or will me and mafew kills each other? we'se been told off but we planning somefink big when you go for the water bottles!"

and another eta: matthew and charlie just ran at each other - but a firm 'stop it!' from mummy has caused them to sit neatly side by side as if butter wouldn't melt...

esupi
01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
:-) sounds like you're handling them pretty well. I've got everything crossed here for you for a successful bond. So exciting.

happybun
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
pairing up at opposite ends, now five or six feet apart, but peaceful.
so i put in some carrot sticks. contentious. tabitha doesn't think charles and cecile should have any. matthew has gone off in a sulk, he'd rather have green beans.
oh, all settled now. everyone got a carrot. peace reigns again. if it holds for a few more minutes, i'll nip out to buy hay.

eta: matthew thumping. that usually means breakfast is late, but he's eaten...:?
more eta: cecile's spending too much time in her corner. admittedly, she's the smallest bunny, usually the most feisty though. don't want to think she's scared of everybun.

we have soothing background music from my youtube thread called 'cheesy'. four bunnehs currently chilling to roy orbison. :lol:
oh heck. Charlie's scent marking matthew's chosen puppy pad... hey hey, charlie boy off to his corner sharpish when bossbun woke up...

a lot of snoozing going on. charles is snuggling cecile in a protective way. i'm off to the bathroom...

happybun
01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
right, back from hay-quest. no green oat 'until next harvest' :( and alfalfa king timothy is eight pounds 75p!
still, we have some little munchies, a bit of forage a bit of timothy and some meadow. that should keep us busy for a while. eating together is supposed to be a 'bonding activity' for people - hope it works for bunnies. :lol:

susie bun
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
It all sounds very exciting! Continuing vibes for progress and eventual success.

happybun
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
thank you. i hope all is well. Charlie is grooming cecile who is stil in her corner but looking quite perky.

eta: cecile is sleeping in her corner. charlie is flopped and sleeping by her. m+t are in the middle of the pen eating grass. i'm going to risk a short nap then do some serious grooming to make sure nobun has been hurt in this process.

happybun
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
charlie is thumping now and giving tabitha the bunny bum. tabby's asleep so doesn't care. she's asleep with her ears back, like an uppy-eared bun. matthew is doing the broody hen. Charlie is making himself beautiful.

tonibun
01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Continuing bonding vibes being sent your way.

happybun
01-03-2014, 04:26 PM
thank you! c+c are asleep, allowing m+t to have control of 7/8 of the pen. m+t are edging closer and closer to the sleepers. i'm putting off my own nap to see what happens.

hmm. matthew crept right up to charles and nipped him. charles has just given m+t a look and they're back at the other side of the pen.

kaths101
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm no way a pro at bonding but aren't you meant to reduce Space? I had my 4 bonding in a 6 x4 run. It seems you have quite a lot of space.

I don't know though, you are very brave. I had Someone bond mine for me, I'm a wuss :lol:

happybun
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
yesterday they were in a 30" square pen (made up of puppy panels, so i'm sure of the size). they took corners and overnight took sides, but no-one suffered harm. but, as norty bunnies go into small spaces in my house, i had the feeling they all thought they were in trouble. so today i doubled the size. everyone seems secure but charlie and cecile are spending too much time in the corner. the space is still far less than they normally have as pairs, and only a fraction of what they'll have if they quad. i'll reduce it if i have to but at present i'm thinking of leaving it as it is to see if c+c gain confidence.

Schez
01-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Hello happybun... :wave:

Just wanted to add vibes for your soon-to-be-bonded quad :D xx

happybun
01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
thank you!

tulsi
01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Vibes from me too. It was rather 'exciting' bonding a quad for me (enjoyed it but was VERY relieved when it was done).

I love hearing the descriptions of all their interactions x

happybun
01-03-2014, 10:32 PM
right, i'm going to partition for a short while.

happybun
02-03-2014, 12:01 AM
somebun doesn't like nick cave - we've got a thumper here.

happybun
02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
spinach treat began well, a big pile of spinach, four bunnies dipping in. then i noticed two bunnies had been chased off .... m+t bullying c+c again. :cry:

half an hour later - not too bad. matthew is asleep, cecile is eating.

hour or so later - matthew thinks he'll hump tabitha. not unheard of, especially in spring. but charlie tried to hump cecile, and that never happens. hmmm.

2 15: charles and tabitha have been snuggled up together for some time. thought she might just be ousting him from his corner but he hasn't moved off. ooooooh, and there goes an ear-lick! way to go Charlie boy. you groom your new friend!

Zoobec
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Ooh, went away for a week and missed this, sending vibes for the quad :D my first and only bond was my 2 pairs into a quad, stressful even though I had it easy :lol: I found wine helped me :oops: it brought tears to my eyes to see them grooming one of their new friends :oops:

happybun
02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
thanks, zoobec!
cecile has just given tabitha a tentative groom but charlie came along and demanded cecile's full attention.

yes! three bunnies lying close, one eating.

3 12: mummy on the phone to granddad. bunnehs decide its time to fight. great. :evil:

esupi
02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Oh no! Hope it was just a scuffle?

happybun
02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
hi! yes, thanks, just brief. but I think they're getting fed up of each other now. I think this is going to be a long job. :roll:

eta: m+t flopping, c+c eating.

*lily*
02-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Can't wait for the next instalment, much more entertaining than the telly :D

happybun
02-03-2014, 07:30 PM
:lol: thank you, *lily*! i must say, i'm finding the tension unbearable!

a few minutes ago, matthew crept up to a sleeping cecile (a quarter of his size) and nipped her in the side. now, why would anybun do that? what a meanie. :evil:

*lily*
02-03-2014, 08:10 PM
:lol: thank you, *lily*! i must say, i'm finding the tension unbearable!

a few minutes ago, matthew crept up to a sleeping cecile (a quarter of his size) and nipped her in the side. now, why would anybun do that? what a meanie. :evil:

You're very brave!

We only ever bonded a pair and Hubby just chucked them in a run together and hoped for the best :shock: luckily they were fine!

happybun
02-03-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't think these four will ever bond. I'm nearing the end of day three and they're still giving each other the bunny bum as the mildest form of disrespect. when they work up to it, we get a scrap, sometimes three out of four. little charlie gives it all he's got. I might be spending the night in the living room with them...

Zoobec
02-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Sending more bonding vibes :thumb: when I was quad bonding I know I got lucky, I only had chasing from Dandy(boy) to Ginger( girl) and a bit of fur pulling from Dandy, he mounted both girls once each, declared himself head of the quad and that was that, although he chased them all again each time they had the space expanded or moved in the early days. Every time there was any chasing Beano (Dandy's brother) and Apricot (Ginger's sister) would turn away and ignore what was going on. I camped downstairs for 2 nights, with some wine for my nerves :oops: hopefully your lot will settle who's who soon fingers crossed :thumb:

happybun
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
last night i couldn't be sure of them and was too tired to move the whole show upstairs again, so i partitioned.
this morning, i removed the partition then had to go out on a 'mission of mercy'. i was out four hours. all quiet, everybun seems ok.
apart from matthew.
when i groomed three out of four yesterday (cecile is in amazing condition..) matthew had a mucky bum. i had to give him a soak in some warm water to move most of it. i dried him with a hairdryer, cuddled him, put him back wrapped in a blanket and raised the room temperature... but he's still quiet this morning, poor boy. he's asleep now, i'll have a good look at him later.

currently, matthew is asleep, cecile is flopped, charles and tabitha are eating.

Barn Yard Bunnies
03-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I would be a nervous wreak. :lol: They don't seem to be doing too badly. Awww Poor Matthew, dirty bottoms are no fun. I haven't tried a hairdryer on Mr B, I towel him off if its a big clean and he scrambles under the bed onto his carpet.

happybun
03-03-2014, 03:47 PM
i wish they'd just like each other and get on with it. its mainly a hump-free zone, with the occasional 'hump-your-own-sister-so-no-one-else-does' scenario.

charles is grooming cecile now. tabby is snoozing and matthew is asleep.
interesting. charles is chinning matthew's bottom. i'm not sure you can claim ownership of that one, mate.:lol:
charles is grooming matthew. matthew hasn't woken up. getting worried about matty now.

Barn Yard Bunnies
03-03-2014, 03:51 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Bunnies are weird.

happybun
03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
charlie is flopped, fast asleep. he wouldn't do that if he wasn't feeling secure.

matthew stirred, so i've slipped him a couple of sneaky green beans and a piece of pineapple. he's eaten a bean.