• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit losing fur.

xaimee101x

New Kit
I have two dwarf rabbits, both females about 6 months old and every now and then one of my rabbits fur seems to be around the cage, I thought nothing of it. But today there are mounds of it all over, a ridiculous amount and she has a small cut on her back. I am thinking it may be the other rabbit so for now they are being kept apart.
Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

When you have 2 unneutered females together, one, the dominant one, will mount the other and pull fur from her back. This is where the fur will have come from. Spaying should stop this behaviour. :)

I would keep them separate, book them in to be neutered ASAP, give them chance to heal and for their hormones to die down, and then re-bond in a neutral area. Besides it being extremely difficult to keep un-neutered females together because they will fight, they stand a very high chance of developing womb cancer.

The wound is probably from a scuffle - they often bite and pull out a mouth of fur. They also can get phantom pregnancies where they pull fur out of their chests to build a nest. Neutering/altering/fixing/spaying should help with both these issues.

Back