• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny drank medicated water for another pet...

warlepus

Young Bun
One of my fish is currently being medicated for quarantine purposes so I'm using light doses of an anti-fungal/bacterial/parasitic medication on a spare basin before plopping the fish in his tank and it's in my room so I could monitor the fish.

Anyway, Matthias got out of his cage when I was replenishing his hay and he went to the fish and drank some of its water. :shock: He didn't drink much of it but what do I do as a first aid?

Contact an emergency vet over the phone, ask them for advice.
you may have to take him in, bunnies cannot vomit so its essentially a vet if there is any poisen risk.
they should be able to advise though and hopefully bunny will be ok.
xxx

Matthias hasn't been to the vet's yet. I'm still looking for one and atm I can't leave the house yet. Is there anything I can do to help him before I take him out?

There's nothing you would have in the house to give him

best thing to do is encourage hay eating and fresh water in a bowl so he can drink as much as he pleases.
just remembered youre not in the uk, so itll be daytime not night?
call a local vet even though hes not registered and ask if they have any vet with a particular interest in rabbits or if they know of a vets that does and then ask them for advice over the phone.

check the ingredients list on google and see if there is any potential things that would cause problems in rabbits. I don't know what fish medicine contains sorry.

also keep checking how his ears feel for his temp, just in case there are any problems regulating it.

Alright, I'm looking at the phonebooks now.

No, unfortunately the brand I have is widely used/distributed here but it's a Taiwanese brand so the only thing in English are the instructions for use not the active ingredients...:(

I have been doing that since last night. Even long time fish keepers don't know the exact ingredients mix. It just works...

Matthias is doing fine. No changes. I wasn't able to find a vet who will treat him. Most of the vets in my area are only treating cats and dogs. :(

You need to find a vet in your area that deals with rabbits. Hopefully this time you will be lucky, but you need to be prepared for the future in case he gets ill.

Keep a very close eye on how much he is eating and drinking, and how much he is pooing and weeing. Make sure he has access to unlimited hay, like normal, but if there is a special type he likes use that - lots of hay and water will help to push it through his system.

What is the medicine for? What are you treating the fish for?

Matthias is doing fine. No changes. I wasn't able to find a vet who will treat him. Most of the vets in my area are only treating cats and dogs. :(

i hope he stays well and hes been lucky this time.
as nessar said keep a very close eye on him and keep searching for a vet.
good luck xxxx

Like I said, the medication is for treating a wide spectrum of common fish infections. It's basically a lower dose I'm using as a prophylactic treatment. Think of it as an alcohol rub before getting an injection.

Yeah, I'm still searching for a vet.

Gah, I've neglected this forum for a while.

Hi there. Mathias is fine. I stopped medicating the fish since the previous fish is just being hit with meds for quarantine purposes - just killing off anything that might've come from the pet shop.

Anyway, Mathias is good. He has gotten a weird new habit of drinking from my fish tanks!

Well, the water is technically safe for him now and the tanks are too heavy for him to topple over but he's kinda liking the fish.

I wouldn't let him drink from the fish tanks.
do they not need to be at certain levels of certain chemicals for the fish to be thriving?

fresh water in a bowl for him rather than a bottle will be much better :)
glad hes doing allright.

any new pics? :wave: he must be getting big now? xxx

Hm... That depends on the fish. The added salts they use are more of a novelty depending on the type of fish but mine just has peat moss.

I do love watching him with the fish. He's like a kindergartener at a field trip. ^^

I do have some pics but I don't know how to transfer them from my new phone onto here. I'll try posting some in a few.

Moss is poisonous to rabbits so probably best not to allow him to continue drinking.

cant wait to see some pics :) xx

Oh, good to know. Goodness Mathias is making bricks look like geniuses with his choices. *facepalm*

Here are pics of the boy... I'm not sure how I feel about his new pictures... :shock:

IMG_20140301_185620_zps020e235e.jpg
- Me holding him last week.

IMG_20140305_135220_zps0bcce2cc.jpg
- My sister holding him this week. .-.

Awww what a cutie!! :love:
hes growing up, his ears look bigger in these ones :)
did you manage to find hay for him?
sending nose rubs for him xxxx

Back