• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay - What Else Can I Do?

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
So Daphne finally had her spay yesterday! I waited so long just to make sure she was big enough, she still didn't hit the magic 1kg mark, but was just under. She came out of it ok & has been pretty quiet since getting her home. I've moved her cage into the lounge so I can keep a close eye on her & even slept on the couch! Lol. She seems to be doing ok.. I'm overly worried about her eating, but I think that's natural, especially after losing Frasier to gut stasis last year :'(

I've put carefresh in the cage, which she seems happy with! There's her old tunnel (something that smells familiar & somewhere to hide), a bowl of pellets, a bowl of water & a comfy bed. And hay, obviously! She's spent most of the time in one corner, pee'd in it and then went back to sleeping in the corner :/ I managed to move some clean carefresh onto the area so she's not lying in wet bedding.

I know she's still healing, but I'm unsure of the timeframe of her recovery. She's eating little bits of food here & there. From what I can see, it looks like she ate some hay overnight, she's eaten some apple treats (the only thing I can really tempt her with!) and a bit of forage stuff from PaH. She's not touching her nuggets. I've only seen her drink once out of the bowl, but she may have had more overnight.. I wouldn't hear her do that :/ Nothing from her bottle though.

She's moving around a bit & trying to forage, but just not actually eating anything when she does. There are a few healthy poops in her cage this morning.

Is there anything else I can do to help her? I am not sure how much pain she is in.. She does sit crumpled up sometimes, but then other times she is hopping about a little, she's stretched on her hind legs a couple of times & bunny flopped too.

Poor bunny is probably fed up of being watched so closely! Lol. Her usual favourites don't seem to be tempting her much. Like her herbs, she's not bothered by them at all! :( I can't keep feeding her apple treats! :/

Does she normally eat Spring Greens, as this is the sort of thing they like mostly after spaying. Or some nice grass from a trusted source, or Dandelion leaves. She probably won't want her pellets until tomorrow. I like to keep my spayed rabbits quiet until they have their stitches out in 10 days. post op.

Sending vibes for her recovery.

Do you have any brambles you could try her with? They are often a favourite with mine when recovering. Also stronger smelling herb like thyme or coriander are first to go before parsley etc.

Do you have any recovery food to give her? Also make sure she has enough painkiller.

I think it was a couple fo days before my last bun who had a spey started to eat normally. Hope she feels better soon.

Back