• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Less slippery ramp?

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
The bunnies are using the ramp despite it being raised so its not so steep as the ramp is far too slippery. I tried coaxing Katniss down it this morning and she was really skidding and obviously not confident.

What can I coat it with? OH suggests sandpaper or roofing felt but Cinna really like chewing.. I thought about buying rope and log laddders that chinchilla's use and attaching them as I know it wont matter if Cinna chews them.

Do you guys have any other recommendations?

I got a ridged carpet doormat and cut it to size for mine. Not used it yet so can't really tell u if it's successful!! I've tacked it down so they won't chew it but I'm sure a determined bun might have a nibble! I previously made a ramp just by nailing thin strips of wood across. I wondered about using the play sticks that u get that are attached to make bridges etc and laying it flat on. That might be an idea?

We stuck carpet to ours. Just bought a couple of tiles from b and Q, cut them up and stuck them on. You can get ones which are sort of ridged and very grippy

I usually add additional wooden bars onto them (most ramps have the bars too far apart, in my opinion). I dont like the idea of roofing felt or sandpaper as it could make their feet sore as well as being a chewing risk. I've not seen the chinchilla ropes and ladder things, so dont know about them.

Although all bunnies lack confidence on ramps at first - so when i have a new bun, i put treats (like dandelions) on the ramp frequently through the day to encourage them up and down, usually by the end of the day they look confident and secure on the ramp and run up and down without any problems.

Last edited:
We've made our ramps out of decking wood, and it has lots of ridges on it for them to grip onto. It seems to work very well although neither of the ramps are as steep as usual hutch ramps

You can sort of see it here:

photo5_zpsbebd05ce.jpg

This is like the rope bridge I'm thinking of using http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/Rope-Bridge-18669.html

Ive had a look (only on my mobile) and i couldnt see dimentions but there are three concerns id have:
Firstly how exactly are you going to secure them, i presume you'd need a few for the length of the ramp, so id be worried about it slipping down when the buns were using it.
Secondly how wide are they? If they are narrower than the ramp id worry about bun steping off the side of them and slipping, possibly making it more likely for bun to slip off the side.
Thirdly if they chew the rope connecting the wood together, i think it would be really dangerous (it would instantly affect security and stability of attachment).

I think if your worried about chewing the best option really is to attach some small wooden batons across (ive put two narrow batons inbetween each of the wider batons already attached to the ramp (i have a welfare hutches one, which i see from your other thread you do too - the ramps have a much more gradual incline than most, meaning they are no where near as steep as others).

Ive had a look (only on my mobile) and i couldnt see dimentions but there are three concerns id have:
Firstly how exactly are you going to secure them, i presume you'd need a few for the length of the ramp, so id be worried about it slipping down when the buns were using it.
Secondly how wide are they? If they are narrower than the ramp id worry about bun steping off the side of them and slipping, possibly making it more likely for bun to slip off the side.
Thirdly if they chew the rope connecting the wood together, i think it would be really dangerous (it would instantly affect security and stability of attachment).

I think if your worried about chewing the best option really is to attach some small wooden batons across (ive put two narrow batons inbetween each of the wider batons already attached to the ramp (i have a welfare hutches one, which i see from your other thread you do too - the ramps have a much more gradual incline than most, meaning they are no where near as steep as others).

The ones the local pet centre has are as wide as my ramp, I would be reinforcing with additional rope and screwing them to the ramp, to make them safe.

We stuck carpet to ours. Just bought a couple of tiles from b and Q, cut them up and stuck them on. You can get ones which are sort of ridged and very grippy

That's the type I got with the ridges :thumb: I'm hoping it does the job as my ramp will be quite steep too. I would also suggest putting barriers at either side of the ramp if it doesn't already have them, especially if it's a steep one :wave:

Have done half the ramp with the rope ladder and half with play sticks as it's what I had to hand. Have put pieces of carrot all the way down and at the bottom so I will be able to tell if they've used it :)

Back