• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for a bored/angry bunny?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible! Basically, my Wotsit was a free range bun with a dog crate for night time. On RU's advice, I started letting her out at night too and it was all going really well. Unfortunately, I live next to (literally, within 15 feet) the River Itchen (sp?) which decided to start flooding everything, including my garden, rabbit hutch and run :roll: Luckily we were home for the weekend at the time so Cupcake and Pud weren't in it.

SO, Cupcake and Pud then had to move indoors. They are not litter trained at all, especially Cupcake, so I put them in the dog crate with puppy panels around the front to give them a little extra room. Wotsit was not happy about this, so I had to cover the panels with towels so she couldn't see them :lol:

As you can imagine, this wasn't ideal. Then, I took on Teddy from a desperate lady who just did not want him anymore. He came with a Ferplast 140 (I know, grr :evil:) but he only spent one night in it, as the day after I got him we all went home for a week, as my Nan passed away. Whilst at home, the other bunnies went into their normal set ups and Teddy had free run of my room. As you can imagine, now I'm back at uni he refuses to be confined and at night he chews and rattles the bars so much I'm worried he'll hurt himself. He's now started frantically trying to dig his way out as well. Not only am I worried about him, but I've had about three hours of sleep in two days because of the noise. With everything else that's been going on, lack of sleep isn't helping.

I really don't want to keep him in there in the evenings but I don't really have another choice, my house is rented and I live with people I don't get on with, so I can't really let him free range in any other room. Wotsit just sleeps under my wardrobe at night but I imagine if I tried to confine her at bedtime so that Ted could free range, she'd be even worse than Teddy. Before I go to bed I give them all their pellets, a load of herbs and a big fresh pile of hay, but it doesn't distract him, he really violently rattles the cage.

I know everyone's just going to say "let him out", but I can't. He was only neutered on Thursday so still smells like an entire male, and it causes referred aggression between Pud and Cupcake when he goes near them. I tried adding puppy panels to the cage but he jumped straight over them. I'm at a loss :roll: It's bizarre because during the day I do try and take him with me into the kitchen for a few hours (I sit and do work, he runs around) and then when I pop him back into the cage, he's fine. It's ONLY once I go to bed that the rattling starts. As soon as I get up in the morning, it stops.

No advice really but I could always look after some bun until the flooding situation dies down? I have a spare 9ft hutch currently

could you put a small run infront of the cage so at least he doesn't feel like he's shut in somewhere? just a really small one but enough that he could hop out the cage and back in. and put absorbent bedpads down on the floor, or vetbed? :wave:

No advice really but I could always look after some bun until the flooding situation dies down? I have a spare 9ft hutch currently

Thankfully the garden isn't flooded at the moment but the risk of it is still there, which is why they're still indoors. That's a lovely offer and I may have to take you up on it if I can't find a solution. I hate seeing him so frantic! I think maybe he was confined all the time at his old home :(

could you put a small run infront of the cage so at least he doesn't feel like he's shut in somewhere? just a really small one but enough that he could hop out the cage and back in. and put absorbent bedpads down on the floor, or vetbed?

I could do but I think any bars will infuriate him, he just wants to be "out" if you know what I mean. Because he's had a week of being free range, he's not taking kindly to being confined at night :lol:

Thankfully the garden isn't flooded at the moment but the risk of it is still there, which is why they're still indoors. That's a lovely offer and I may have to take you up on it if I can't find a solution. I hate seeing him so frantic! I think maybe he was confined all the time at his old home :(

Poor little love :(

Poor little love :(

I thought about putting his litter tray in that bathroom and just letting him run around in there, but I did that for Nahla last year when it was stormy and she chewed a hole in the wall, and all the skirting boards :lol: She's currently at home with my parents, the little rascal. I can't wait to move home in April, Dad (and possibly Will, if you can believe it:shock:) are building me a new aviary set up :love:

I thought about putting his litter tray in that bathroom and just letting him run around in there, but I did that for Nahla last year when it was stormy and she chewed a hole in the wall, and all the skirting boards :lol: She's currently at home with my parents, the little rascal. I can't wait to move home in April, Dad (and possibly Will, if you can believe it:shock:) are building me a new aviary set up :love:

....and this is why I don't have indoor bunnies :lol::oops:

Ooh aviary setup sounds fab :D

Back