• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay is rubbish at the moment

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
usually seems to happen this time of year. :(

started buying the medium bag of timothy and rye as it wasn't as good. this time it's the same again, and even the meadow hay isn't great and that is usually more reliable.

bisc is fussy as it is, and even the piggies aren't as keen which definitely means it's not as good quality as normal. luckily they're all eating some but not as much as normal so now i need to order some more for them to mix with this lot. :roll:

was thinking of timothy from timothyhay.co.uk, but now i'm not sure whether to stick to deans farm, our backup hay, as it's one they do usually like.

From H4P? Oh dear, if it is then I just ordered a 9.5kg bag from them :roll: although I don't think Lola is particularly fussy so fingers crossed it gets eaten!

Really! :shock:

I'm coming to the last half of my timothyhay.co.uk 10kg bag, so ordered 9.5kg Ings, 9.5kg Tim/Rye and 9.5kg Straw yesterday to see how we went. Might just pop on to TH to order an additional bale just in case....

I've just been raving about how good my latest bale is :oops: I thought it must be a good time of year for hay! It must depend so much on where the hay is grown and the local weather!

I get my hay from a local farm not online. That's frustrating yours isn't so good this time, especially with a fussy bunny! I'd be tempted to go with the other hay options you've said, worth a try if this hay is so bad!

we get hay4pets. the timothy and rye hasn't been great the last couple of times so i got the medium size. i nearly got the small size this time to mix with another, but changed my mind. :roll:

might get some deans farm because at least i know bisc usually likes it. just annoying when the hay isn't great. :evil: sir bisc needs some decent hay though so better order some more. :roll:

It's been terrible here all winter. I have to ship in from Washington state and at 45 lbs. each bale it gets pricey. It's all post that takes it up. :(
Last batch I got was finally decent. Third cut timmy is all they eat (barring Mimzy's gourmet mature oat minibales) but it's been full of brown leaf and weeds. For the price I have to pay I wish it were better than this. :( We've also got terrible meadow hay. You'd think a blight was going through but I guess it's all just dodgy weather that's done it.

I can't wait for spring/summer when our backyard will erupt in good hayseed...hopefully. With the fires last year it was pitiful stuff. :(

I had a 4.5kg bag of timothy and rye from Hayforpets a few weeks ago and I wasn't that impressed. I'm no hay expert though as I've only had my girls for nearly 2 months and they aren't fussy! I've got a big bag from timothyhay now and it's green, smells nice and the strands are so long I have to wrestle it out the bag! :lol:

The hay at the farm hasn't been too good so I'm buying the hay from the garden center and Louie seems to like it!

I got some Timothy and rye from hay for pets and it seems fine to me.
The buns love it that much they binky when they see me getting some out :)

bisc would rather set his tummy off than eat enough hay that he isn't as keen on. :( woke up to find he has done a dodgy poo again, and his tummy is gassy. so he's back on his tummy meds now. on top of that, he is sneezing aswell. he's a snuffle bun but only seems to sneeze in colder weather and when he is stressed so he's obviously not happy.

have ordered the deans farm meadow and timothy hays so hopefully they come quickly. thankfully bisc is eating some hay, but is making it known that he is not that impressed. :oops:

feel so sad for him when he has his tummy episodes. they usually clear up quickly, but he has the tummy ache and some dodgy poops until it does. :(

Such a shame you're not any closer - the hay I picked up from the farm last weekend is the best meadow hay I've had/seen in a long time. I think it's finding the right place to go, but you'd have hoped H4P would have good hay! I remember having problems with T&R beforehand and sadly that's why I don't order from H4P anymore

I thoroughly recommend timothyhay.co.uk though, the hay is lovely

Such a shame you're not any closer - the hay I picked up from the farm last weekend is the best meadow hay I've had/seen in a long time. I think it's finding the right place to go, but you'd have hoped H4P would have good hay! I remember having problems with T&R beforehand and sadly that's why I don't order from H4P anymore

I thoroughly recommend timothyhay.co.uk though, the hay is lovely

we don't seem to have any good farm hay places here. we did try two a few years back and one was so dusty and gave them mites :shock: and the second was a lovely big bale but made matt sneeze too much (chronic snuffle bun). there was another recommended but they don't deliver sadly so we can't get there to get it.

deans farm is our back up hay normally when hay4pets isn't as good as normal, so i hope he approves. if not, i guess i'll also be ordering from timothyhay.co.uk. :shock: but i don't mind. just want him eating his usual amount again.

i do get jealous when i see peoples lovely farm bales though :oops:

we don't seem to have any good farm hay places here. we did try two a few years back and one was so dusty and gave them mites :shock: and the second was a lovely big bale but made matt sneeze too much (chronic snuffle bun). there was another recommended but they don't deliver sadly so we can't get there to get it.

deans farm is our back up hay normally when hay4pets isn't as good as normal, so i hope he approves. if not, i guess i'll also be ordering from timothyhay.co.uk. :shock: but i don't mind. just want him eating his usual amount again.

i do get jealous when i see peoples lovely farm bales though :oops:

It took me a long while to find the farm I go to now, but it's great as it's a horse feeds place and sells SS sacks, Excel for the piggies, Megazorb, Graze on etc, so I can go there and get all my supplies :) I would never have found it if I hadn't been able to drive though, as it's out in the country and they don't deliver! It's annoying that you cant find somewhere good that will deliver - farm hay seems to vary so wildly in quality that you never know what to expect!

I think timothyhay.co.uk is actually very good value for money to be honest :D

I normally use HayforPets but, because of the comments, I have just ordered large bag from Timothy Hay.co.uk.

Just hope my two like it!

Hay4pets are happy to replace any bags your not happy with as I found with just 1 bag out of the loads I bought that i wasnt as happy with been very pleased with all the others and their customer service is fab...I would contact them and let them know afterall its a natural product ;*)

Hay4pets are happy to replace any bags your not happy with as I found with just 1 bag out of the loads I bought that i wasnt as happy with been very pleased with all the others and their customer service is fab...I would contact them and let them know afterall its a natural product ;*)

I agree they are very good - I stopped ordering from them after I bought a bag of T&R and it was stale, so I messaged them and they sent another bag out straightaway. The new bag was just as stale as the first, in the end they sent out 3 bags (very good customer service there) and I can only assume they didn't quality check any of them as they were all stale, so I gave up tbh and went elsewhere

Hi how do u know when it's not good as my bunny not been good at eating hay and I got 10kg off Timothy hay .co.uk and she loves the stuff
77a064a158dd76d7aae052b285d8cc53_zps8ee32d88.jpg

Just the smell of it can be an indicator I guess - fresh hay has a lovely floral scent to it where as bad hay smells musty. Don't worry - you will know when you smell it's off...I do anyway.

We give our buns Bob Martin meadow hay - this is the only hay that they ALL eat - not all of them like timothy or Ings etc and seem to only really like Bob Martin - thankfully my local Sainsbury's stocks it. BUT - the last bag we opened wasn't nice - just smelt wrong and none of our buns will touch it.

Back