• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do the wild ones know?

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
in my area at the moment there are major earth works to accomodate a new link road and it's carving up the fields.. do wild bunnies have a sense of whats going on and move their burrows or are they faced with the terrifying prospect of diggers appearing at the burrow door before they have time to relocate?

i do hope they realise before it's too late..........:(

in my area at the moment there are major earth works to accomodate a new link road and it's carving up the fields.. do wild bunnies have a sense of whats going on and move their burrows or are they faced with the terrifying prospect of diggers appearing at the burrow door before they have time to relocate?

i do hope they realise before it's too late..........:(

Hmm. Warrens are built over generations of rabbits, so they will probably not move out easily. Having said that, I can't see that they would wait to be squished whilst their warren is destroyed. Hopefully not all the warren will be destroyed, so they can sit in some of their burrows whilst the work is done and have a chance to rebuild.

Very sad for the bunnies, though. :(

When we moved into our house, there was waste ground behind it with wild bunnies. Then they built houses on it. The bunnies did seem to move out. There are woods at the side of the new houses, so I don't know if the bunnies would have moved there. I thought bunnies preferred open spaces. There is a field down the road, so maybe they went there, I'm not sure.

Hmm. Warrens are built over generations of rabbits, so they will probably not move out easily. Having said that, I can't see that they would wait to be squished whilst their warren is destroyed. Hopefully not all the warren will be destroyed, so they can sit in some of their burrows whilst the work is done and have a chance to rebuild.

Very sad for the bunnies, though. :(

i asked this question to a friend of mine who said "what about the poor farmers":shock:
heavily compensated i would imagine, unlike the bunnies.

i asked this question to a friend of mine who said "what about the poor farmers":shock:
heavily compensated i would imagine, unlike the bunnies.

Difference is the farmers won't be the ones being killed or having their homes destroyed. :roll: I think there would be something to say if people were the ones being displaced or killed!

Poor bunnies. :cry:
I really get on my OH's nerves when it comes to ground work for construction of any sort because I hate to think of what happens to the animals anytime he wants to build something. So convenient for people to move this or that out of the way, but then if you think about it and realize just how many creatures are sent running for their lives if all you want to do is clear an acre. It makes me sick to my stomach for the natural world. :cry:

The fires we had here last year must've displaced so many animals. We've only recently heard the squirrels and birds returning and usually you catch a few from the corner of your eye even overwinter. I've only seen one set of cottontail tracks in the snow this year. :(

I hope the wildies will be okay. xxxx

Oh no this is like Watership Down. Fingers crossed for the wildies xx I had wildies living my garden at my old house & I loved watching them. I used to leave carrots out for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back