• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildies

Vilija

Warren Scout
Just wondering what are peoples opinions on keeping wildies as house bunnies? Or if anyone has one or two :D

If you mean catch a wild rabbit and have it as a house rabbit I think opinions will be split quite a bit.

I think that if you get a baby wild rabbit that's just old enough to leave its mum then yes, you probably would get away with it BUT you couldn't just go out and catch an adult one for many reasons, the main ones being that it might be an active parent and therefore you would be placing its babies at risk and also of course you would be taking a totally wild rabbit which has had its freedom for X years and locking it up; that would indeed be exceptionally cruel, not to mention highly traumatic for the rabbit in which case it could possibly, literally die of fright.

May I enquire as to the reason behind your question? You're not considering it are you? :shock:

Wildies have very different instincts to domestic bunnies. It would be cruel to take one from the wild unnecessary.

If you are refering to a rescued wildie that was rescued and unable to be returned to the wild, I personally feel an outdoor enviroment would be better so that it is as natural as possible and to allow them to exhibit their natural behaviours. They need very special homes.

Catching one from the wild would be cruel and quite likely illegal.

However, some rescues have wildies or wildie crosses in, as they come in occasionally.

Oh my goodness :shock: never even crossed my mind to catch a wild rabbit just to keep it as a pet. That would just be cruel. Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was looking through rescue pages and saw some wildies up for adoption so wondered whether they would be suitable as house rabbits as I personally don't like the idea of keeping domestic rabbits outside (thats just my opinion so not imposing on anyone else).

Oh my goodness :shock: never even crossed my mind to catch a wild rabbit just to keep it as a pet. That would just be cruel. Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was looking through rescue pages and saw some wildies up for adoption so wondered whether they would be suitable as house rabbits as I personally don't like the idea of keeping domestic rabbits outside (thats just my opinion so not imposing on anyone else).

Tamsin, the site admin has a wildie cross as a house rabbit, he's nuts and needs lots of extra stimulation compared to a domestic rabbit, can't be caged and needs LOTS of room. He'll likely be more destructive also.

I had a wildie and he fully preferred living indoors from out. He was mistakenly caught from the wild and then couldnt be released- it was come to me, or be PTS, so he lived with me for 4 wonderful years :love:

He was a nutcase like Tamsin's Scamp. He loved to go anywhere and do anything. He needed full stimulation and, if he didn't get it, would provide his own :?:lol: He loved people and hated people all at the same time. Over time he became both domestic and wild but neither domestic and wild. He was very cheeky with a massive sense of humour and was like an extreme of all the rabbits I've ever had. He was either running really fast, or completely asleep, or terrified, or manicly happy, or whatever. Just anything in the extreme, nothing middle ground (but never laid back). He was also the most loving rabbit I've seen ever.

He was the most special kind of bunny and my house is significantly lacking now he's gone. One day, I will have wildies or half wildies that can't be released and my house will feel full of life again.

Magnificent creatures. However. A fully wild rabbit does not belong in a house, it belongs in the wild. Had my Roger been able to be released, that would have been better for him and I would have loved that for him, even though it would have meant I missed out.

They sound wonderful :love: and I agree that they should stay in the wild if possible after all they are born free, its so much fun watching them run around in a field next to my university :love:

My wildie much prefers being outside - but my outside accommodation is a lot larger than when he's been indoors. It's only now he's knocking on a bit that he's started going in the playhouse more - he used to be in the aviary 24/7 (there's a catflap for access):D

I love wildies - but the digging is an issue:lol:

We have three wildies with different histories. In my experience the younger they come into rescue and the more contact they have in the first weeks of life the mire likely they are to adapt but they are mad and dig like crazy. Ours live outdoors but I think pippin, who was hand reared from a week old, could live indoors but would be a real handful We would have him in if we weren't already full with other buns inside but you would have to keep all windows closed, no carpets, no breakables below about 6ft, etc etc

I think it varies a lot on the rabbit, they can be anywhere on the scale from almost wild to as happy to interact with people as a very interactive domestic. But I agree everything to the extreme - he runs fast, he jumps high, he digs, he chews, and he alternates between doing incredible clever things and very stupid ones :lol:

You'd need a room not a cage, and it would have to be very bunny proof - you probably shouldn't be too attached to your walls/door frames. Doors and windows kept shut and stairgates need to be dog height not toddler. Scamp lives in the kitchen and I follow him around constantly whilst he's out exercising because otherwise he's digging carpet, making tunnels through the curtains, climbing bookshelves etc. he thinks nothing of jumping 4/5' down off the top of something or over the top of something.

He is wonderful though, and very affectionate, he'll flop on my feet for nose rubs (after we've chased round and round and round the living room) and be back up for more chasing five minutes later. He's fine with being handled/picked up. Will let me put a finger in his mouth to scoop out whatever it is he shouldn't be chewing etc.

I'd meet them if you are interested, it's like any bunnies really it's down to their individual personality.

I would think very carefully re taking on a semi or wild bunny x although of course there are exceptions these bunnies can very often keep many traits of their wild counterparts and just in my opinion are in need of very experienced homes or they stand the danger of being passed around as owners can sometimes struggle to cope.

Wildie buns can have very heightened instincts and everything is very much exaggerated from that of their domestic cousins who can in their own merit be challenging from bun to bun lol

The wildie bunny owner needs in my opinion humongous amounts of patience, time and effort to create a stimulating environment - also bondings can work but may be more challenging as seasons kick in - there is a very good article in the spring edition of Rabbiting On which gives a flavour of our wonderful wild buns but I really don't think ownership is for the faint hearted - in fairness to the bunny, owners need to be prepared to really work hard to make it work - this can mean a change of environment from inside to outside if the bunny is happier. Avery housing can be required as in my experience wildie rabbits can be manic when confined - they are also fast - very fast, with leaping jumps which makes them proper escape artists.

That said they are amazing but in my option best suits to experienced rabbit owners who have a clear understanding of their welfare needs.

Hope this helps give you a flavour of these bunderful bunnies

Loving this thread & hearing about pet wildies :love: I did always wonder what the difference was between a pet domestic bunny & a pet wildie if both had been born & raised in "captivity" for want of a better word & for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuggling:
IMG_1080b.jpg

Shredding:
IMG_1467b.jpg

Chewing:
IMG_1457b.jpg

Escaping:

Jumping
IMG_0342b.jpg

We have three wildies with different histories. In my experience the younger they come into rescue and the more contact they have in the first weeks of life the mire likely they are to adapt but they are mad and dig like crazy. Ours live outdoors but I think pippin, who was hand reared from a week old, could live indoors but would be a real handful We would have him in if we weren't already full with other buns inside but you would have to keep all windows closed, no carpets, no breakables below about 6ft, etc etc

You're very lucky! :D I guess it makes sense that the younger they come in to the rescue the better they are at adapting to a domesticated environment.

I think it varies a lot on the rabbit, they can be anywhere on the scale from almost wild to as happy to interact with people as a very interactive domestic. But I agree everything to the extreme - he runs fast, he jumps high, he digs, he chews, and he alternates between doing incredible clever things and very stupid ones :lol:

You'd need a room not a cage, and it would have to be very bunny proof - you probably shouldn't be too attached to your walls/door frames. Doors and windows kept shut and stairgates need to be dog height not toddler. Scamp lives in the kitchen and I follow him around constantly whilst he's out exercising because otherwise he's digging carpet, making tunnels through the curtains, climbing bookshelves etc. he thinks nothing of jumping 4/5' down off the top of something or over the top of something.

He is wonderful though, and very affectionate, he'll flop on my feet for nose rubs (after we've chased round and round and round the living room) and be back up for more chasing five minutes later. He's fine with being handled/picked up. Will let me put a finger in his mouth to scoop out whatever it is he shouldn't be chewing etc.

I'd meet them if you are interested, it's like any bunnies really it's down to their individual personality.

As for room decor and breakables... I had to say goodbye to my carpet and I am slowly loosing wallpaper through the puppy panels which are supposed to keep the wall safe :evil: everything else is on the table or in the closet so it feels like i'm living in the rabbit room rather than the rabbits are living in mine :lol: :roll:

I don't think I would be able to offer one or two :p a home until I moved out into my own house as I don't think it would be fair to keep it in a single room (it seems that they would probably need the whole house :lol: or a very big outdoor enclosure) but definitely a thought for the future!

Snuggling:
IMG_1080b.jpg

Shredding:
IMG_1467b.jpg

Chewing:
IMG_1457b.jpg

Escaping:

Jumping
IMG_0342b.jpg

:shock: *faints* he is gorgeous though, and I can tell he's a handful just from these pictures! I think he's appropriately named too :lol: I can't even see him in the escaped picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back