• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe to say they are bonded?

jasmee91

New Kit
Hi All,

A bit of background for you guys....So Luna was the new bun that I brought back to be bonded with Hiro. He has always had free reign of the house, she was enclosed in a playpen as she was still recovering from her spay. I let them get used to each other's smell between bars. Then a few weeks later, I started to bond them. Took the playpen upstairs in neutral area and put them together. Had about 4/5 sessions. There was no fighting or humping. Just a lot of sniffing. Luna would always lower her head to Hiro, wanting attention and to be groomed. But Hiro was having none of it, he practically just ignored her the whole time. Then they would lie flat out, sometimes separately, sometimes next to each other. Then one day when I was going to start setting up another session, I thought I would try and see what happened when I put Hiro into her playpen downstairs. Now I know its not on neutral territory but I wanted to see what would happen and was ready to break up any fights. But nothing happened! They did they same thing as they did on neutral territory. Eating together, lying down totally relaxed. The next day I put Hiro in again and gave them more space, opening up the playpen. That's when Hiro started to hump Luna (the wrong way round too). The humping only happened that day and not happened since. Then I let them roam the conservatory without a playpen, they still shared everything despite not having neutralised anything (litter boxes, water bottles, toys etc). Last week I decided to brave it as nothing was of major concern that they might fight, I left them unsupervised and set up a baby monitor. After a sleepless night of worrying, they were absolutely fine and I found them next morning huddled together. Now I have been able to leave them together in the conservatory without worrying something will happen, that was a week ago. I think they are bonded if they don't need to be supervised, do you?

My question is...is it safe to say they are completely bonded? I only ask this because they do not groom each other. If anyone could give me a better indication then I would be most grateful! Their new hutch was built this weekend so it is ready for them to move into. Also...why did Hiro hump Luna that one day? How did they manage to 'bond' on non-neutral territory? Who is the dominant one? Why do they not groom each other?!?

Thanks!
Jasmine

Last edited:
It sounds like your bunnies are non-aggressive and unterritorial. Neither of them are going to be over dominant by the sounds of it so maybe that is why he only humped on one day. They seem to be bonded, I have a couple of bonded pairs that got on straight away. So, lucky you!

Back