• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really upset :(

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Someone I know added me onto a group on Facebook. They r calling themselves a rescue, they go to auctions and 'save' rabbits from being killed, apparently there's a man that buys them to eat so they outbid him, bring a load of rabbits to the 'rescue' and adopt them out ASAP. They don't get health checked, neutered, vaccinated, homes don't get checked, nothing. I made a couple of comments on some posts as people were asking if certain rabbits we're male or female, if they could put another rabbit with theirs etc, so I tactfully pointed out about neutering etc. Its clear the people running it have no clue and r giving really bad advice. I shared the RAWF page but it disappeared so I shared it again and it's disappeared again. I'm sure someone is removing my posts. One woman who had commented, totally contradicted herself commented on a pic of one of the latest rescues saying 'good job I don't have a spare hutch' then a few comments later said I have a spare hutch but only want a male, don't want babies! Why would she have if the rabbit is living alone if she does have a spare hutch, otherwise she's planning on putting an un neutered male in with another un neutered male?! I made a comment, not to her directly but as I'd seen a pic of her rabbits - 2 in a small double hutch and one in a small single hutch with the title 'happily rehomed' - like I said I didn't specifically direct my comment at her and didn't comment on her pic or anything but I put something like I think its sad that the rescue is allowing rabbits to go to homes where they'll live alone in small hutches. This woman said if its directed at me I have 3 happy rabbits and they don't live in small hutches (they do!!!) so I (again trying to be tactful!) pointed out that there's lots of misconceptions about rabbits and stated the housing requirements... She then posts a pic on the wall of a smallish run with nothing in it except two rabbits, saying '2 of my rabbits happy in their run'. Only just seen her last comment saying 'I have 2 2 story hutches (only one in pic but hey ho) and they get time in the run when the weather is fine... When is the weather ever fine?!! I'm just sooooooo peed off!!! I wondered about messaging the main person that seems to be involved and who's giving ***** advice but not sure if I should. He'd put a post that they'd moved to new land with loads more room to rescue loads more animals, saying they'll be the best rescue in the area the amount of animals they rescue and rehome. Also said 'we're not like other rescues, we're hands on putting hours of work in each day to care for the animals' I want to say to him, rescuing animals isn't about rescuing the most and getting them adopted out ASAP, it's about ensuring their health and well being and finding the right home and a decent amount of space with other rabbit/a for company. And it's really peed me off that he made that comment about 'other rescues' how disrespectful!! I'm sorry for the long post but I'm so upset and needed to get it off my chest and hope people on here will understand my frustration!

Oh dear, this makes me so mad. Wonder how much money they make rehoming these animals? Maybe they think they are doing the right thing 'rescuing ' as many as they can, and really don't understand the bunnies full needs, it could just be complete ignorance. It's sad that they won't listen to your advice at all

Oh dear, this makes me so mad. Wonder how much money they make rehoming these animals? Maybe they think they are doing the right thing 'rescuing ' as many as they can, and really don't understand the bunnies full needs, it could just be complete ignorance. It's sad that they won't listen to your advice at all

I think its a bit of both. They seem to have their hearts in the right place but they obviously don't want any advice or to be told that what they're doing is wrong. I'm not sure they're making any money, this will be why they have such fast turnaround, well meaning people r saying oh I can have 2, I can have one etc. but I just feel so bad for the poor rabbits. They all look petrified in the pics they've put up, imagine what they've already been through to then be shipped off to another home.

What page is it?

I'm a bit reluctant to give out the page as I don't want people from here posting stuff on it as I know one of the people who've been made 'admin' on the page, I've tried to talk to her to but bit got anywhere, she said they can't afford to vet check and neuter etc that's upto the new owners, but how many will?! I dread to think what health probs some of these poor bunnies will have that will be ignored or not recognised through ignorance :cry:

I'm a bit reluctant to give out the page as I don't want people from here posting stuff on it as I know one of the people who've been made 'admin' on the page, I've tried to talk to her to but bit got anywhere, she said they can't afford to vet check and neuter etc that's upto the new owners, but how many will?! I dread to think what health probs some of these poor bunnies will have that will be ignored or not recognised through ignorance :cry:

That is a shame that she is running the place like this.....so many people think they are helping, but really they are adding to the bunnies that will breed and end up in rescues :(

That is a shame that she is running the place like this.....so many people think they are helping, but really they are adding to the bunnies that will breed and end up in rescues :(

Exactly, it's not the woman I know that runs it she just helps out I think they all think they're doing a great thing but they don't seem to see the bigger picture. I'm sure many of the rabbits they rehome will end up either living very sad, short lives or will end up back in rescue. It's just so upsetting that people won't listen to advise, when it is coming from big welfare organisations, not just me being a busy body! They r adamant that they helping these rabbits and that they've gone to good homes when they're not even willing to find out what a good home is! I don't claim to know everything, and I certainly made mistakes myself, but I have made an effort to research and learn all I can to provide the best home I possibly can for my rabbits. I really can't get my head around people claiming to love and care for animals but aren't willing to research and take advice and ensure they're doing their best.

i suppose those who are comfortable reading and researching do that...what i notice about r u is that we are an intelligent, thoughtful bunch. not everyone is like that.

Just felt the need to comment on this page again, looking through the pics of the rabbits (breaking my heart :cry:) and can see barely a scrap of hay and they all have bowls full of muesli (and rubbish looking muesli too :() so I put together a collage showing 4 posters about hay and muesli and just wrote I have noticed that there isn't much sign of hay in many of the pics, and said why it's important etc. Think my post will be deleted like it appears my links to RWAF were... :evil:

Got a response that they get plenty of hay, the pics were taken after the cages had been cleaned... And they get greens every day... No comment on the muesli tho!

Oh what a surprise my post has been removed!!! Very strange that this 'rescue' appear to not only have very little knowledge of good rabbit care and welfare but also NO INTEREST IN IT!!! I'm fuming :evil:

I've had to remove myself from the group, I can't keep getting stressed and upset when they obviously don't care enough to take on and share good advice. I don't know what else I can do :( Just hope some of the poor bunnies do find decent knowledgable homes.

I know its really upsetting but disturbingly common to see these situations.

I am looking for a seconhand large rabbit hutch in the East Midlands and found a free-ad last night where a someone calling themselves a "sanctuary" was rehoming a rabbit and guinea pig together that had to stay together as apparently they were best friends :shock:

I think that the level of knowledge and care that (most) people on RU practice is very different to the vast majority of pet rabbit keepers in the UK. I think you have done the right thing in coming off the group, it will just upset you and you wont get anywhere trying to educate if they have decided thats what they are doing.....

I know its really upsetting but disturbingly common to see these situations.

I am looking for a seconhand large rabbit hutch in the East Midlands and found a free-ad last night where a someone calling themselves a "sanctuary" was rehoming a rabbit and guinea pig together that had to stay together as apparently they were best friends :shock:

I think that the level of knowledge and care that (most) people on RU practice is very different to the vast majority of pet rabbit keepers in the UK. I think you have done the right thing in coming off the group, it will just upset you and you wont get anywhere trying to educate if they have decided thats what they are doing.....

Thanks for the support, I felt a bit like I was giving up not doing anymore but I was just getting really upset over it and every time the group cropped up I felt sick. It's annoyed me more as the woman who added me to it (she's not really a big part of it but is involved) and her friend who seems to be more involved, have horses that they rescued too and recently a local pony died in a bad situation (not theirs) and the other has now been taken by RSPCA and she's always on her high horse (excuse the pun :lol:) about anything to do with horses saying 'it's disgusting, how hard is it to look after ponies' etc etc and I'm thinking what about the rabbits?! Do they not matter?! If they're not getting the right care that's ok cos at least they got saved from being eaten :roll: and actually I'm pretty sure it is quite difficult to look after ponies, and expensive, and can see how someone with a lack of knowledge can get it wrong, just like with rabbits :(

A lovely friend of mine came over today to take pics of my new rabbits. We were talking about the amount of space that they have (a 10 x 6 aivery run with a hutch inside it) and both felt that it was actually rather a small space for such lively creatures.

I had wanted to bond all my rabbits together and give them the shed and all the aivery but two of them wouldnt bond and then I saw two belgian hares in rescue and had (HAD) to get them so now two pairs have 10 x 6 runs with hutches in and the quad have a 10 x 6 shed with 10 x 6 attached aivery.

Blah blah. My point is that here on ru we are all doing our best and I reakon that most of us would love to increase the size of our rabbits enclosures (I would LOVE to give mine free range garden time. But no fencing in many places and two dogs) and to be exposed to people such as you are describing is just so far from how we (lots of us on ru) feel that it is a form of torture to see the conditions that these animals are kept in. I think you have done the right thing for your peace of mind to remove yourself from that group.

Back