• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit missing parts of ear?!?!?

Hi I'm really concerned about my 2 year old mini lop Willow. About 10 days ago I noticed a circular patch on her nose and scabs on her ears and so I took her to the vet who was less than helpful and he prescribed her some antibiotics. I thought they were getting better, or at least not getting worse, but this evening I noticed she's missing parts of her ears! They are kind of triangular shaped but there doesn't seem to be any blood :? I have no idea what's going on with her since her personality hasn't seemed to change at all. At first I was worried that she may be self harming after losing little Louis to cancer almost 11 weeks ago (I personally still feel really depressed about it :cry: ) but now I'm not sure because I can't see how she could of reached her nose and the fact that her personality hasn't changed much
Please help my little bunny! Thank you :)

How awful. Is she ok in herself?
I would recommend finding a rabbit savvy vet. You could post for one in your area.

The two options that spring to mind are nodular myxi - which can present as round scabby nodules around the head/genitals, this form of myxi tends to be seen in vaccinated rabbits as unvaccinated get full blown myxi with the more classic symtoms of swollen eyes etc.

The other option would be rabbit syphilis, these are scabby lesions around the face/ears and genitals (they are spread around the rabbit when they groom so ears/nose are common locations). This needs treating with three doses of penicillin a week apart (must be given by injection not orally) as normal antibiotics won't cure it.

The two options that spring to mind are nodular myxi - which can present as round scabby nodules around the head/genitals, this form of myxi tends to be seen in vaccinated rabbits as unvaccinated get full blown myxi with the more classic symtoms of swollen eyes etc.

The other option would be rabbit syphilis, these are scabby lesions around the face/ears and genitals (they are spread around the rabbit when they groom so ears/nose are common locations). This needs treating with three doses of penicillin a week apart (must be given by injection not orally) as normal antibiotics won't cure it.

Thanks for the info I hadn't considered syphilis I'll just have to do some more research!
I'll try and attach some pics as well as hopefully they will be useful for a diagnosis :)

Pics aren't showing up, but tbh, she needs to see a vet either way. We are not vets nd so can't diagnose problems.

Post up in rabbit chat with the title "Rabbit savvy vet needed in......" and your area.

Anitbiotics are generally given to rabbits by vets that have no idea, and if he didn't explain himself and didn't ask for you to take her back for a follow up, then I'd say your vet has no idea. :roll: Having said that, she may need antibiotics to treat myxi (and I think syphilis) so this might be why she seemed to improve slightly.

Hope you find a decent vet to help.

Yes, I'd try another vet - you're paying for a service, you shouldn't have to do your own research!

It's really tough to say from pictures, the last one on the edge of the ear looks closer to syphilis than myxi as it doesn't really look like a nodule, although the nose looks more like it could be a nodule.

Myxi would have standard ab's but often they are unwell with it too. It needs to be penicillin for syphilis - it can sometimes get better but is just dormant and reoccures so it's important to do the full three week course. It can also be transfered between bunnies so if you're hanging out with any other bunnies do watch hands/clothing between.

URL=http://s853.photobucket.com/user/lucy_v/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg.html]
image-3.jpg
[/URL]

Do you have any other Rabbits that he may have had a scap with ? Or any other Pet ? A cat maybe ?

The wounds look to be more like fight injuries than resolving Mxyo nodules to me. It doesn't look like Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis). They look to be clean and healing well, but obviously it's impossible to be certain just from looking at photos. Have you carefully checked him from top to tail for any more lesions ? Check his genitals too.

Last edited:

URL=http://s853.photobucket.com/user/lucy_v/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg.html]
image-3.jpg
[/URL]

Do you have any other Rabbits that he may have had a scap with ? Or any other Pet ? A cat maybe ?

The wounds look to be more like fight injuries than resolving Mxyo nodules to me. It doesn't look like Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis). They look to be clean and healing well, but obviously it's impossible to be certain just from looking at photos. Have you carefully checked him from top to tail for any more lesions ? Check his genitals too.

Hi sorry for the delay and thanks for showing the pictures. She is now an only house rabbit (rip Louis) so there is no way these are due to another rabbit. We do have a dog but she is getting on now and would never have caused them.

I've noticed that more parts of the ears are "falling off" basically the scabs go all the way through to the other side of the ear and shrivel up and drop off taking the part of the ear with it :(

I personally haven't seen any scabs on the genitals but the vet did say there were a few. I'm really getting worried for her as that scab in the first picture is falling off and so is that part of the ear, and it's a pretty big chunk :cry: I can't seem to find a competent vet and I've already spent just over £100 and I don't have insurance.

Why do my poor bunnies keep getting ill? I'm praying this isn't too serious and is treatable, my poor bunnies Louis and Lottie both developed cancer and died at just 3 and 2 years old respectively within 6 months of each other (Louis just 10 weeks ago) and I can't take another heart break :cry:

Hi sorry for the delay and thanks for showing the pictures. She is now an only house rabbit (rip Louis) so there is no wa
y these are due to another rabbit. We do have a dog but she is getting on now and would never have caused them.

I've noticed that more parts of the ears are "falling off" basically the scabs go all the way through to the other side of the ear and shrivel up and drop off taking the part of the ear with it :(

I personally haven't seen any scabs on the genitals but the vet did say there were a few. I'm really getting worried for her as that scab in the first picture is falling off and so is that part of the ear, and it's a pretty big chunk :cry: I can't seem to find a competent vet and I've already spent just over £100 and I don't have insurance.

Why do my poor bunnies keep getting ill? I'm praying this isn't too serious and is treatable, my poor bunnies Louis and Lottie both developed cancer and died at just 3 and 2 years old respectively within 6 months of each other (Louis just 10 weeks ago) and I can't take another heart break :cry:

You need to get her to a decent vet, regardless of cost you have a duty to provide her with medical treatment. It sounds like it is getting worse and she must be in pain :( rabbits hide pain very well due to being a prey species. The sooner you can get her treatment, the better her prognosis.

If you post where you are, we may be able to help you find a good vet.

I hope you can get her to a good vet tomorrow.

Has your vet done anything other than give you baytril? I'd be a bit annoyed at spending £100 and the vet not doing and investigation. Your own vet should be able to get in touch with other vets for advise if they don't have any ideas.

Have you posted in rabbit chat yet asking for a decent vet? You really need to get her to a competent vet. Taking her back to the one that has no idea, is just going to cost you money and not get you anywhere.

She must be in pain, so please get her to a good vet tomorrow.

You need to get her to a decent vet, regardless of cost you have a duty to provide her with medical treatment. It sounds like it is getting worse and she must be in pain :( rabbits hide pain very well due to being a prey species. The sooner you can get her treatment, the better her prognosis.

If you post where you are, we may be able to help you find a good vet.

I hope you can get her to a good vet tomorrow.

Not everyone can find a money tree in their back garden. The OP is obviously distressed and I dont think harsh comments are going to help anyone or any Rabbit at this stage. The OP is fully aware of their 'duty of care'.

Louis&Willow- Whilst I know it looks awful, the necrotic tissue that is falling off is dead and the remaining tissue looks to be healthy. Whilst it is necessary to locate a Rabbit Savvy Vet to enable him/her to carry out a more thorough investigation I really dont think Your Rabbit is about to leave you just yet. I am so sorry that you have already lost two much loved Rabbits to cancer. I lost a Rabbit to a very rare cancer at a young age so I can empathise with the grief you feel.

If it is Nodular Myxi that your remaining Bun has then it certainly seems to be resolving. Secondary bacterial infections are something that needs to be taken into account, hence the necessity of locating another Vet. If you post a new thread entitled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in *insert location*' over in the 'Rabbit Chat' section some RU members may be able to help.

Meantime you need to check on the wounds regularly and make sure they do not look to be infected. Also, keep a close eye out for any respiratory tract symptoms such as sneezing with or without a nasal discharge, increased respiratory rate and/or effort or the development of 'gunky' eyes.

Finally, make sure that your Rabbit's GI tract is functioning well. So be ultra vigilant re checking 'input' and 'output' . Any signs of reduction in either and a Vet needs to be consulted very promptly.

Good luck and I do hope your Rabbit will make a full recovery even if she is left with a few 'war wounds'.

I am wondering if you’ll still be on this forum (I hope so) but did you get to the bottom of this problem at all please? My bunny is 4 months old and I’m having the exact same issue. I took him to the vets and got them to even cut his claws just in case. All they said was we haven’t seen this before. But each ear is getting worse with chunks missing. I wondered if anyone advised what it was in the end. Thanks

I am wondering if you’ll still be on this forum (I hope so) but did you get to the bottom of this problem at all please? My bunny is 4 months old and I’m having the exact same issue. I took him to the vets and got them to even cut his claws just in case. All they said was we haven’t seen this before. But each ear is getting worse with chunks missing. I wondered if anyone advised what it was in the end. Thanks

The OP has not been on the Forum for years so is unlikely to see your post. I have flagged your post up to the Forum Moderators and they might agree to splitting your post off to make a new thread, more people are likely to see it then.

In the meantime can you post a few photos of your Rabbit’s ear problem.

Does he live alone ?

Is he kept outdoors or indoors ?

Has he had his vaccination and if so when ?

The OP has not been on the Forum for years so is unlikely to see your post. I have flagged your post up to the Forum Moderators and they might agree to splitting your post off to make a new thread, more people are likely to see it then.

In the meantime can you post a few photos of your Rabbit’s ear problem.

Does he live alone ?

Is he kept outdoors or indoors ?

Has he had his vaccination and if so when ?

As IM said, the OP has not been on for some years. Usually we would split your post onto a new thread but in this case there would be no context if we did that.
Nikkibro91 if you would like to start a new thread about this with further details as IM has suggested hopefully someone can advise.

Back