• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I leave her out at night?

Jemima

Alpha Buck
I have bonded my new rabbit, Daphne, with my existing trio and it has all gone very well (so far). During the day, they play and groom each other but at night Daphne insists on staying out in the run. I put her back in the shed three times last night but she still went back out. She has done the same tonight.

There is plenty of room and snuggle places in the shed if she doesn't want to sleep with the trio (perhaps she's an old fashioned girl :lol:)

I don't really want to lock the cat flap because the others are used to it being open but it may be the only way to keep her in. There is a little shelter in the run with plenty of hay and it is quite mild so I am not too worried about her being out.

Should I persevere with putting her back in or should I just let her do her own thing?

Last edited:
I think eventually she will want to join the others so as long as she is safe I would let her choose. Do the others stay in the shed by choice? Just interested that's all!

I think eventually she will want to join the others so as long as she is safe I would let her choose. Do the others stay in the shed by choice? Just interested that's all!

Yes they tend to sleep all together on the ledge by the window. The other female goes out occasionally during the night and is always first out in the morning. The boys don't come out until I arrive with their food :lol:

I was just a bit worried that the bond will break if Daphne is out all night.

I think I would let her decide where she wants to be, I'd be more worried about them fighting if u force her to be closer to the others if she's preferring to keep her distance at the moment. I'm sure in time they'll become closer. Isn't ignoring each other meant to be a good sign in bonding?!

There's no sign of any fighting and they are fine during the day. I guess she just likes sleeping under the stars.

As she spent the first 3 years of her life indoors in a small cage :evil:, perhaps that is understandable.

There's no sign of any fighting and they are fine during the day. I guess she just likes sleeping under the stars.

As she spent the first 3 years of her life indoors in a small cage :evil:, perhaps that is understandable.

Aaw bless, maybe that is it, she might be scared the run will be taken away if she leaves it for too long :lol: My rabbits were a bit like that when I first installed their runaround pipe they kept sitting right by the hole in the hutch as if they were guarding it :lol: I think I said at the time they're making sure nobody takes it away again bless :love: I bet my Heidi and Dash will be spending loads if time in the run when it all gets reconnected - had to disconnect their run to make way for the shed :( Have felt so bad for them and so mean as they won't know why I've taken it from them :( Hopefully they'll forgive me when they see their shed and hopefully before too long their new run aswell :D Sorry waffled on a bit there about my lot :oops:

She will go in when she is ready for a snuggle and sleep :D

Mine are always in the run when I think it's too cold :roll:

I'm sure they sit in the hutch until I switch on the kitchen light and run into the run so I can see them looking in at me :lol: looking like I haven't fed them :roll:

Mine are always in the run in all weathers. She might just prefer the fresh air, rather than anything to worry about.

Back