• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training - help needed

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, I'm keen to litter train my three lionhead cross rescue bunnies. They are three four month old unspayed females living in a large outdoor hutch and run currently lined with newspaper and hay. How would I go about doing this please?

Hi everyone, I'm keen to litter train my three lionhead cross rescue bunnies. They are three four month old unspayed females living in a large outdoor hutch and run currently lined with newspaper and hay. How would I go about doing this please?

I have a lionhead cross adopted bunny, he's 25 weeks and now litter trained to about 98% of the time for poo and 100% for pee.
See where they usually go, and put a litter tray in there and fill with something different to their normal lining.

With lionheads it's a good idea to line their hutch with something like this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...-nature-small-animal-bedding-30l?pageSize=18# to prevent matting of their manes (makes life easier for you and them).

My set-up uses that bedding over all of the hutch, and I then have a litter tray lined with shredded newspaper with his hay manger above it (they like to eat and poo at the same time).

This is just what I do, and I think it helps because he is distinguishing the different materials to being allowed to go to the toilet on only one type of bedding.

Good luck :wave:

You could use Fitch as flooring, but I'd just line it with lino.

If there is bedding everywhere then they'll probably toilet everywhere. Try and keep it contained, so line a large litter tray or 32L storage box with newspaper and fill it with hay, also keep hay racks around the litter tray and they will toilet while they eat.

Of course they will never be 100% until they are spayed, before mine were spayed all wees were done in the litter tray but poos went everywhere.

What do you all put on the floor elsewhere?

Nothing it's just lino. It would be completely pointless for me to have litter trays and use bedding all over the place because they would just dig it up and wee all over it. Whereas with lino I just sweep it up and only have the clean the litter trays out.
They do have small blankets down but they get dug up so they're more for something to do than anything else.

Charley has a mat in her hutch, I used to have carpet squares in the shed but they were getting damp when the shed was leaking.

There was wee in the litter tray this morning, lots of wee, there was also wee elsewhere but at least one of them is using the tray to wee.:D

Back