• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sat at work in a panic

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
My little rescue girlies arrived yesterday and this morning I opened the trap door so they could use the ladder to their run (I have a welfare rabbit hutch and run) they hadn't used it by the time I left for work and I'm a little concerned about them falling through the hole or off the ladder which is quite steep and injuring themselves :(

Please tell me I'm worrying unnecessarily :cry:

Try not to worry. Bunnies aren't daft and won't throw themselves down a hole willingly. I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine.

I agree, I'm sure they'll be fine, the curiosity will get the better of them and they'll be down into the run by now I'm sure.
If the ramp is a bit steep you could pop a brick or something underneath, this will make the angle less steep. Or, depending on how much height you have to play with, you could run the ramp into one of those large square planters filled with soil, and then they can just hop out of that.

They hadn't even used the run, so I was worried about nothing!

Have put a brick under it to make it less steep for now and am going to try the planter idea, thanks for those Karen :)

Have they ventured down the ramp and into the run yet?
You could try putting something yummy at the bottom of the ramp, and maybe every few inches down the ramp, to try to tempt them down.

Mine would always just pull the ladders down so they just jump up and down now. To be honest a lot of hutch ramps are very narrow and steep so younger rabbits sometimes prefer to jump :lol: Have you tried sitting them halfway up/down the stairs? It's the quickest way to teach them

Or, you could try putting them in the run so they have to go up into the hutch, it's probably less scary to go up rather than down, and they may get their confidence that way.
I've also seen that some people glue little bits of carpet on the ramp so it's not so slippy and the buns have a bit more grip.

The ramp is too slippery, I tried to coax Katniss down it and she was really sliding :( So need to make it less slippery. OH suggests sandpaper or roofing felt. Someone on here suggested on slip tape but I really want something non toxic in case Cinna chews it. I like the idea of attaching a rope bridge to the ramp as it will be non toxic, something like this.... http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/Rope-Bridge-18669.html

The ramp is too slippery, I tried to coax Katniss down it and she was really sliding :( So need to make it less slippery. OH suggests sandpaper or roofing felt. Someone on here suggested on slip tape but I really want something non toxic in case Cinna chews it. I like the idea of attaching a rope bridge to the ramp as it will be non toxic, something like this.... http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/Rope-Bridge-18669.html

You can't put sandpaper or roofing felt on it, that'd be awful for their feet. Carpet tiles are probably your best bet :)

Honestly I wouldn't worry, once they are used to it they will be fine. Mine took a full day to venture down the ramp, now i often see them jump practically all the way down. And they can fair dash up and down it. Have a look at some of the set ups on the runaround website, the pipes are so steep on some, and the bunnies manage fine.

Sand paper or roofing felt is too harsh for their feet, imo. Sandpaper definitely!

If you cut some carpet tiles to size you can glue them on and that should give them grip.

Alternatively, glue or screw small bits of wood on across horizontally to create sort of rungs for grip. Homebase have narrow and slim wooden pieces meant for furniture decoration by their timber cutting machine. Lots of these would work well: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...1&langId=110&searchTerms=moulding&authToken=#. If you ask them, they can cut it into lots of pieces the width of the ladder and you just need to screw them on at different intervals along the length.

You may also want to get 2 longer pieces cut to the entire length of the ramp and screw&glue them onto the sides to create a bit more of an enclosed area, sort of like a bannister. The more enclosed ramp may encourage them. Skirting board is a nice height for this, and again homebase will cut it to size if you ask.

Good idea, they still have used the ramp with the playsticks attached and it's really not slippery. However, they haven't had an attached run before.

im surprised they haven't been tempted by the carrot,they'll adjust to however steep the ramp,At first Bella struggled to go down the long ramp so we put some ''steps'' onto it (wood every now and there down the ramp) and now she jumps most the way down,relying on the steps to stop her:lol:

Back