• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Booked Neo in for Neuter and Vaccinations!

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
And I'm really scared! :(

He's going on Thursday to the vets that I want to have as his registered veterinary hosp. for vaccinations and a chat about him, and then the Monday following he's going to the P@H vets for the snip!

Are there any things I should ask the vet at Temple End or P@H when I drop him off?

I'm also wondering if there's anything I can put in the bottom of the carrier (a cat carrier that the top can come off if needs be) to stop him sliding around? I put a towel in with him for about 5 minutes before and he was eating it! :lol: don't worry, took it out as soon as I noticed...

Aftercare? Anything special? I think if I need to give him pain meds directly into his mouth that it's going to go very wrong, he's not a fan of being picked up, the 3 times that I've tried he's gone a bit kicky - always comes back instantly for food or strokes though, so don't think I'm traumatizing him! (I hope!) Perhaps I can soak the nuggets in it if it comes in liquid form?

Any other info would be great, thanks :)

I believe you need to wait at least 2 weeks after a vaccination is given before a rabbit is spayed/castrated :)

If they tell you to starve him before the op, avoid them. Rabbits can't vomit so can eat right up to the operation. A rabbit that doesn't eat can be very dangerous. So get a lunch box ready with some of his pellets, yummy treats and hay that they can give him before/after the op.

I use a carpet square in my carriers, then put a bit of hay on top.

RE medication, you could gently wrap him in a towel so he can't fight back/squirm, but what we are doing at the moment (2 rabbits on baytril atm) is soaking the pellets so they are nice and damp, putting some of the baytril on one end of the pellet and hand feeding them the end that doesn't have the baytril on as it tastes gross apparently!

Keep hay off the floor and elevated for a few days so it doesn't agitate the wound. Although castrations are so much easier than spays.. I had problems with all 3 of my girls after their spay, but the boys bounced back straight away.. Then Kerbie was from a rescue so already done, which is another reason why I will always rescue now :lol:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?64854-Neutering-after-care

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?235719-Neuter-aftercare

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?244713-Chesney-is-getting-neutered-aftercare

Doughnut hates being picked up. When she came back from being spayed she wouldn't touch her pellets. I put her meds on a tiny piece of weetabix, it soaks in and she loved it. It's so easy as well.

Thankfully she likes the medicine she is on now so I just kneel down and she licks it from the syringe.

I believe you need to wait at least 2 weeks after a vaccination is given before a rabbit is spayed/castrated :)

If they tell you to starve him before the op, avoid them. Rabbits can't vomit so can eat right up to the operation. A rabbit that doesn't eat can be very dangerous. So get a lunch box ready with some of his pellets, yummy treats and hay that they can give him before/after the op.

I use a carpet square in my carriers, then put a bit of hay on top.

RE medication, you could gently wrap him in a towel so he can't fight back/squirm, but what we are doing at the moment (2 rabbits on baytril atm) is soaking the pellets so they are nice and damp, putting some of the baytril on one end of the pellet and hand feeding them the end that doesn't have the baytril on as it tastes gross apparently!

Keep hay off the floor and elevated for a few days so it doesn't agitate the wound. Although castrations are so much easier than spays.. I had problems with all 3 of my girls after their spay, but the boys bounced back straight away.. Then Kerbie was from a rescue so already done, which is another reason why I will always rescue now :lol:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?64854-Neutering-after-care

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?235719-Neuter-aftercare

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?244713-Chesney-is-getting-neutered-aftercare

So I've called the vets and pretended I'm clueless... the vet nurse spoke to me as the vets were busy and she was great.
Told me it's very dangerous to starve them beforehand as this can upset their digestive system, she also said to bring in some food that he normally eats and that they can give him the vaccination whilst he's under to prevent any extra stress.

She said that it's not dangerous to give them the vaccination at the same time, and that it's preference of the veterinary hospital, and even certain vets can differ in the same company. Would be nice to see something that explains why it's not a good idea? Ideally I'd like to save a vet trip!

Thanks for the info regarding the carpet square, might go and grab one now :lol: "One carpet square please!"

Doughnut hates being picked up. When she came back from being spayed she wouldn't touch her pellets. I put her meds on a tiny piece of weetabix, it soaks in and she loved it. It's so easy as well.

Thankfully she likes the medicine she is on now so I just kneel down and she licks it from the syringe.

Do you know how the vet found holding her then? I've got a cat carrier that opens front or top, but I've only ever tried picking Neo up 3 times, each time he flipped out so I let him go. I don't want to be the one to get him out of the carrier really, I'd worry they think I'm a bad bunny Mum lol!

The weetabix thing sounds great, good ideas to help me just in case!
They did say that they don't generally need any more pain killer though, they put him under and then give him a strong pain killer that lasts 24 hours, supposedly that's all he'll need? I might gently push them for some when I pick him up as I don't want him to experience any pain!

Thanks so much for those, I will reschedule the appointment then, I did a search but I don't think I put in the right keywords :lol:

I don't use the search bar any more, if you ever want to find something just type it into google and then put rabbits united at the end of what you're looking for and loads of threads off here should come up straight away :)

Best of luck to Neo on Thursday. Frosty and Snowflake didn't even notice the needles going in!

Best of luck to Neo on Thursday. Frosty and Snowflake didn't even notice the needles going in!

Thanks Tulsi, I just hope nothing horrific happens like he panics and something happens to his back or legs or head or even one tiny hair on his body :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm feeling quite hysterical... I'm wondering if I'll be on my way there and turn around to come back!!!

AHHHH HELP!

Back