• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

possible head tilit - panacur alone ok?

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
well my little leah i think has a little head tilt, its hard to tell really, as sometimes she just does to give you the side look and say to you "youre so silly mummy". she is on panacur at the moment and if giving her the full treatment just in case. will this be enough...or should i get her to the vet for that injection (steroid perhaps?). as she has had head tilt before in the past a few years ago. would giving the injection be any harm to her if she doesnt have head tilt and that i was being silly and over cautious and not realising it was just her giving me "a look"? is there any side effects/repercussions of that injection if given to a healthy non-head tilt bunny??

her appetite is the usual for her, no change really there. still a bad hay eater etc, mushy poops at times due to forage intake instead and not getting enough dry fibre etc.

I wouldn't let her have the steroid injection if you're not sure.

Just keep a very close eye on her and be in the look out for other symptoms, or the tilt getting worse. If it does get worse or she loses her appetite and seems in pain, or is scratching her ears, it might be an ear infection in which case she'll need antibiotics and Metacam (non steroidal anti inflammatory, much better than a steroid as steroids can lower the immune system thus making any infection worse.)

Lots of vibes x

thanks for the info. i did a quick google search of the possible causes, and she sometimes has a wet neck and its a little bit sticky...like the amount is if she had her neck area in the water bowl while she was drinking, but after reading the causes, im considering if she had a stroke and thus make her drool perhaps!?!? i just dont know. sigh.

thanks for the info. i did a quick google search of the possible causes, and she sometimes has a wet neck and its a little bit sticky...like the amount is if she had her neck area in the water bowl while she was drinking, but after reading the causes, im considering if she had a stroke and thus make her drool perhaps!?!? i just dont know. sigh.

Has she had her teeth thoroughly checked recently, including the back ones?

a month or so ago she had them checked, and she had slight tooth spur but not much at that point. she is a dental bunny and her teeth have also got gaps between them, so she is checked every time. i think i will keep a further eye on her.

a month or so ago she had them checked, and she had slight tooth spur but not much at that point. she is a dental bunny and her teeth have also got gaps between them, so she is checked every time. i think i will keep a further eye on her.

It might be that she needs to have them checked again if she's dribbling. But obviously that will have to wait as if she does have a head tilt a GA could be risky.

I would have her to the vet for a thorough ear and dental check (under sedation if needs be) -

it may be an ear issue brewing or teeth -

if it was an ear infection she may be getting paralysis on one side of the face - this is quite common with inner ear infections and will make her look lopsided and drool.

or if she has had an acute attack of ec n the past maybe she has some chronic issues

Has she been to the vet this time for an examination? If not, I personally would get her in to see the vet to make sure it is the same problem as last time and that panacur is the correct treatment this time. Ignore me if you have taken her already :oops:, but I couldn't work out if you are treating with panacur because that is what she had last time, or if it's what's been prescribed by the vet this time.

got a vet appointment for 3pm, so hopefully some light will be shed on it. i am giving her panacur as a preventative measure for e.c and worming as its spring time and she is being outside more often now due to the weather. the vet didnt prescribe me it, im just doing it as normal of a few times a year.

Back