• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about Zebedee

NJK

Warren Scout
I took Zebedee to the out of hours vet last night as he wasn't eating and hiding himself away. He wouldn't even touch any greens and wouldn't come anywhere near me. He just sat in a corner all hunched up. He is eating a little bit as he is still pooing and weeing but didn't look right at all. The vet could find nothing wrong with him, he really examined him well and was a bit stumped. Anyway I have some painkiller drops for him but I suspect he's lonely after Anna died. I have reserved a friend for him but it will be 3 weeks before she arrives, how can I keep him happy til then??

Is he inside?
Have you other buns that he could live alongside temporarily - or a teddy?
That might ease the loneliness, but I suspect there's some other issue as he seems to be acting like a bun in pain. I'd get back to the vets if he doesn't eat his fave food or some hay today.

Hope he's ok X

No he lives outside and the only one I have at the moment. He's not interested in any soft toys either. He has eaten a bit of parsley and a few pellets and is pooing etc but I just feel something is wrong so have booked to see the vet later. I just dread the same scenario as Anna :-(

No he lives outside and the only one I have at the moment. He's not interested in any soft toys either. He has eaten a bit of parsley and a few pellets and is pooing etc but I just feel something is wrong so have booked to see the vet later. I just dread the same scenario as Anna :-(

Sorry to hear of your other bun. :( It's always so difficult when the remaining bun isn't coping well.

The only thing I could suggest, is to bring him indoors, but obviously not all buns like that, and it's not always possible. I think you are right to pop him back to the vets. Always go with your gut instinct. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Sending vibes. x

I brought him into the conservatory this morning but he wasn't impressed at all!! Been to the vet who can find absolutely nothing wrong with him. The only explanation he could give was that perhaps he was missing his friend and said as long as he was pooing, weeing and eating OK I shouldn't worry too much. Anyway we'll see!

I brought him into the conservatory this morning but he wasn't impressed at all!! Been to the vet who can find absolutely nothing wrong with him. The only explanation he could give was that perhaps he was missing his friend and said as long as he was pooing, weeing and eating OK I shouldn't worry too much. Anyway we'll see!

Fiver suffered a lot after he lost his partner. He went off his hay and would sit on the windowsill staring out into the garden the whole time. :cry: It was so sad. He frequently had episodes of stasis, and even needed a dental because of how little he was eating. The only thing I could do to help him was get him a friend, until I found him one, I just spent as much time with him as possible. This was easier for me, because my buns live in my bedroom. A teddy might help, or even a blanket for him to snuggle up in. Although he may ignore it, he might gain some comfort from it just being there.

If he stops eating again, make sure the vet gives you gut stimulants as well as pain relief. You didn't mention the vet had given him those (although he may have). The problem is that even if there isn't anything "physically" wrong with him, the fact that he is not eating will cause his guts to stop, which is obviously dangerous. I'm sure you know this, but I was surprised at just how poorly my bun got because of losing his friend.

Thanks for the post, it's been really helpful. He is looking a bit brighter today, we were at home in the garden all day so I put him out. He was such a good boy as my children are not quiet!! He was running around and following my daughter round the run and seemed to be having a great time! When I put him back in the shed he went back to his corner and yawned so I hope he has tired himself out. I feel better too. What is a gut stimulant called? Don't think I need it now but just in case, it would be good to know what to ask for. Thanks again.

Thanks for the post, it's been really helpful. He is looking a bit brighter today, we were at home in the garden all day so I put him out. He was such a good boy as my children are not quiet!! He was running around and following my daughter round the run and seemed to be having a great time! When I put him back in the shed he went back to his corner and yawned so I hope he has tired himself out. I feel better too. What is a gut stimulant called? Don't think I need it now but just in case, it would be good to know what to ask for. Thanks again.

I usually get the metaclop/emeprid. Not sure what others are out there. Zantac is another good thing to get when they slow/stop eating.

Back