• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

11 week bunny chewing cage bars

welshlass

New Kit
My 11 week bunny keeps biting the cage bars and its mostly at night when I am trying to sleep.
his cage is currently in my bedroom so I can keep an eye on him.
is there something I can do to stop him from chewing as he realy is noisy lol!
He has lots of chew toys and toilet roll tubes in his cage yet doesnt bother with them at night.

he is let out during the day for approx 3-4 hrs free run unless I pop out.
then he is out as soon as I get home. Hes taken jn and out of cage throughout the day.

Any advice on the chewing would be fab! thanks

How big is the cage? If it is an indoor rabbit cage like a ferplast then I am afraid it is far too small. Rabbits are not nocturnal but they are most active at dawn and dusk, my guys snooze all day then are active at night, normally from 10pm till about 2am then they have a break until about 5am and then off they go again :lol:

This means that they need space all night, otherwise they are being given space when they want to snooze and cooped up when they want to run. They will get bored and frustrated and bar chewing is a prime example of that.

If he free ranges does that mean the room is bunny proof? If so do you have to shut him away? Lots of people have free range bedroom bunnies! :p If that isn't an option could you attach a puppy pen to the cage to give him some space? There are lots of examples in the indoor housing sticky at the top of the housing section of the forum :thumb:

Probably means he doesn't have enough room and is bored. Rabbits need unlimited access to space to exercise and, has been suggested, the housing section has lots of ideas on building indoor runs etc.

ditto - bar chewing means he is frustrated and wants to get out and explore and play! It is very important with young ones - though you have to be SPECIALLY careful with things like wiring, places they might get stuck, or doing silly things like leaving water in the bath or the loo cover up and bathroom door open.

Act like youve got a very active toddler with teeth!!!

Some bunnies do that no matter how big their cage is. Perhaps you can consider making an enclosure for the bunny? Mine free-ranges at night too, at first I was scared to let her run around while I'm asleep but then got used to it. Now I'm working on making an enclosure with wooden fences :)

May I suggest getting one of these, then he has 24/7 access to running around and also won't be able to nibble anything or poo in your bed!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ML6OKA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one, and will be getting another when I finally am able to make some more room in my living room, they will be joint together and I will hopefully have a foursome of bunnies at this point :D

These will be good once the bun is older but the bars are too far apart for baby buns and there have been awful stories of baby and smaller buns getting their heads stuck between the bars. Try Nic cubes instead

Back