• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who get hay from The Blue Barn at Otley...delivered to wrong house!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
... Obviously you think it's good if you keep going back for more but I am just after some info as I'm thinking of ordering some.

I currently get my hay from over the border in Lancashire (about 10 miles away) from an equine suppliers and it's £4.20 a bale and although it looks brown and uninteresting to me, the bunnies seem to love it (the output also suggests this!!). I have also had hay from there that looked like H4P timothy and rye at £4.20 a bale :shock:

Just because I like to give them variety and have realised the Blue Barn will deliver here, wanted to ask, would you describe their hay as 'green'? I did visit their 'emporium' a couple of weeks ago and there was a small bag of unpriced hay which looked and smelled really nice and if that's the quality of the bales I'll be really pleased. The website also estimates the hay to be 4ft x 1ft x 1ft - those dimensions seem a bit small (ie the 1ft x 1ft) aspect - are they bigger than that?

Last edited:
... Obviously you think it's good if you keep going back for more but I am just after some info as I'm thinking of ordering some.

I currently get my hay from over the border in Lancashire (about 10 miles away) from an equine suppliers and it's £4.20 a bale and although it looks brown and uninteresting to me, the bunnies seem to love it (the output also suggests this!!). I have also had hay from there that looked like H4P timothy and rye at £4.20 a bale :shock:

Just because I like to give them variety and have realised the Blue Barn will deliver here, wanted to ask, would you describe their hay as 'green'? I did visit their 'emporium' a couple of weeks ago and there was a small bag of unpriced hay which looked and smelled really nice and if that's the quality of the bales I'll be really pleased. The website also estimates the hay to be 4ft x 1ft x 1ft - those dimensions seem a bit small (ie the 1ft x 1ft) aspect - are they bigger than that?

Hiya :wave:

My buns hay comes from a farm and tends to vary from more grassy and sort of greenish or brown and hayish - if you get my drift. the buns love it no matter what so maybe its variety that keeps them keen.

I hope you get the hay that you expect :)

I've not used the Blue Barn for a while, but their hay was always one of the nicest around and I wouldn't hesitate to get it from there. I just don't pass there very often - only on the way to FHB's at Harrogate.

You could ring and ask them to describe it for you. Hay can vary quite a lot anyway.
The bales were always standard size (which is a bit wider than 1')

I've not used the Blue Barn for a while, but their hay was always one of the nicest around and I wouldn't hesitate to get it from there. I just don't pass there very often - only on the way to FHB's at Harrogate.

You could ring and ask them to describe it for you. Hay can vary quite a lot anyway.
The bales were always standard size (which is a bit wider than 1')

Thanks. I think I will just order anyway, even if they describe it it could vary a lot from what they think and what I think. Nothing to lose really, it's just a tiny tad more than I'm paying now, assuming the bales at the same size.

I hope you get the hay that you expect :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
I get hay from the Blue Barn, usually the quality is great. There has been the odd bale over the years that hasn't been so good, but I do buy a lot of bales :lol: I think they're just the standard size, so the 1ft x 1ft part must be a mistake.

The delivery guy is really nice and helpful too. He even helped removed the washing machine filter cap when it was stuck and there was no one else around to ask :lol: I'd recommend them :thumb:

I get hay from the Blue Barn, usually the quality is great. There has been the odd bale over the years that hasn't been so good, but I do buy a lot of bales :lol: I think they're just the standard size, so the 1ft x 1ft part must be a mistake.

The delivery guy is really nice and helpful too. He even helped removed the washing machine filter cap when it was stuck and there was no one else around to ask :lol: I'd recommend them :thumb:

Thank you. I've only just realised they would deliver to here as about 19 miles away. I used to buy hay for £7 a bale from a fairly local farm but it was down a windy single track lane and a bit muddy if if you have to reverse you can't see enough for the hay in the back:censored: The hay was either really good or sometimes not so great. The last one I got is in my garden recycling bin as it was at least 50% buttercups:( ... though sometimes it was 10% plantain and they were such good bales:love: It would work out the same to have a couple of bales delivered from the Blue Barn, so a no brainer, if it is as good. .. especially as they do Megazorb too.

Re the bale size - I figure they are erring on the side of caution as the photo clearly shows a bale with the two shorter dimensions quite different ie I'd guess one at least 50% longer than the other, so I was hoping for standard bales... it would be about half the volume of my current bales if it was 12" x 12".

Last edited:
I think York is just on the edge of where they deliver to. There's one place closer to me than the Blue Barn, and I think their bales were cheaper, but they were a lot more hit and miss. They also had to order the Megazorb in, and deliveries always came in two parts, which was annoying. I only switched when the BB ran out of hay, I was so pleased when I could switch back!

:? Sooo, I've just sat in all morning for a delivery to arrive, waited til 13.20 thinking this 'morning' delivery is late.. need to shower and go to work soon.

A bloke knocked on the door with the invoice in his hand saying "is this you?" .. wondered where his van was :? Turns out he lives on the main road about 10 doors away and has returned home to 3 bales of hay on his driveway and an invoice through his door. They delivered it to the correct address for the invoice but I have no way of tracing if it's my mistake or Blue Barn's. It isn't tracable from this end but I doubt it's my mistake. I'm extremely lucky that these lovely neighbours who I don't know went to the trouble of finding me before the rain started! Apparently they knew "somebody down there keeps rabbits" ... and he confirmed it on seeing my car with the Rabbit Rehome stickers on :love::love:

Hay looks okay but I think I will be driving to Bannisters at Colne in future it was so much easier!!

The neighbours who I chatted to for the first time asked if I run a rabbit rescue :oops::oops: I told them not officially but all my buns are children's cast offs. They seemed lovely people and were considering getting rabbits but travel a fair bit so were having to give it a lot of thought as they'd been told rabbits don't travel well. At least I got to meet some neighbours I didn't previously know :lol::lol:

Edit to add: It's definitely not my mistake. I've just done a dummy run of a re-order and although for some reason it didn't automatically remember my details (I'd ticked the 'remember me' button) when I entered the address I put '3' and it predicted it so I must have started the address with '3' and not '2' as on their invoice.

Last edited:
Back