• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft buster/elizabethan collars rabbits can't chew through?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Baby's having to wear a plastic buster collar at the moment to stop her chewing on her infected tail, she seems to be coping fairly well with it and I've been giving her supervised breaks from it to clean herself up but I've found some alternatives online such as ring collars and soft elizabethan collars that are supposed to be comfier, my only worry is that she'll probably just chew straight through them, has anyone used these before?

Anyone? I've just made some adjustments to hers, cut a big semi circle out at the top so her ears aren't pressed forwards. She's learned to scoop up her pellets using the cone luckily :oops:

I have never used any sort of collar

Are you making sure she eats her cecals ?

I can't really think of an alternative for this type of injury, she was chewing on her own injured tail until it bled, and if the vet managed to get some kind of bandage on her stump she'd only chew it off :( And yes, she's actually scooping some up with the cone but through the day she gets a lot of supervised time with the cone off anyway

It might be worth trying a comfy collar (or pro collar if bunny is teeny). They are inflatable but the inflatable part is held within a tough outer ring (it survives cat claws!) Because of the way it protrudes, I'd have thought it would be pretty hard for a bunny to get a nibble on it...although anything's possible. It might be worth getting one and seeing if you can put something across the bit in front of bunny mouth to reinforce it a bit more? Cats certainly find them much comfier as it doesn't enclose their head in the same way that a cone of shame does, so I would imagine it would also be better for a bunny because it wouldn't restrict the field of vision anywhere near as much.

I now the ring ones your on about but only seen them used on dogs, ive only had one rabbit that had to have a collar that was rosie after her spay many years ago, she hated it, she learned to get it off as well by trapping it under the drawer and then wriggling, it was a nightmare

hope babys tail soon heals

It might be worth trying a comfy collar (or pro collar if bunny is teeny). They are inflatable but the inflatable part is held within a tough outer ring (it survives cat claws!) Because of the way it protrudes, I'd have thought it would be pretty hard for a bunny to get a nibble on it...although anything's possible. It might be worth getting one and seeing if you can put something across the bit in front of bunny mouth to reinforce it a bit more? Cats certainly find them much comfier as it doesn't enclose their head in the same way that a cone of shame does, so I would imagine it would also be better for a bunny because it wouldn't restrict the field of vision anywhere near as much.

Are you like 100% sure she wouldn't be able to just bite through and pop it? She's given me some very nasty bites before, and I really can't risk her getting it off and damaging her tail even more :(

No of course I'm not 100% sure...that's why I said anything's possible!! I'm not sure how it would fit around a bunny neck but if it's small enough that a bunny chin can't hook underneath it, then it would be pretty difficult for her to nibble, especially if you've reinforced it. If you try it out when she's supervised, you'll soon find out if it's likely to work or not, or even just use it at the times when she is supervised.

What about some kind of babygrow/sock with holes cut out for the relevant parts. I know it's a bit near the bum to get the tail tucked well away, but again it might be possible to rig something up.

No of course I'm not 100% sure...that's why I said anything's possible!! I'm not sure how it would fit around a bunny neck but if it's small enough that a bunny chin can't hook underneath it, then it would be pretty difficult for her to nibble, especially if you've reinforced it. If you try it out when she's supervised, you'll soon find out if it's likely to work or not, or even just use it at the times when she is supervised.

What about some kind of babygrow/sock with holes cut out for the relevant parts. I know it's a bit near the bum to get the tail tucked well away, but again it might be possible to rig something up.

Hmm I'm really not sure, looking at them they look quite thick and baby's got quite a big dewlap, I think they'd end up either really choking her and forcing her dewlap and chin apart or they'd be too close to her mouth. She'd get a babygrow straight off so I don't think I could risk that overnight but thanks for the suggestions

If only we could explain to them why they need not to chew, eh!

Yup :roll: I feel horrible every time I put the cone back on her, have to keep reminding myself that it's for the greater good because otherwise she's going to give herself a really bad infection and need an amputation :( I think she's getting used to it now though, she just lets me put it straight on now rather than wriggling away from me

Back