• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*bangs head against wall*

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Sometimes trying to teach people about rabbit care, no matter how kind and polite you are is such hard work.

more time than not it ends up in being insulted

*bangs head against wall*

Hopefully one day people will listen

Tell me about it! :evil:

I spent hours talking to this one girl, she was buying rabbits, okay fine. But they're too young to be away from their mum. They're in a 3ft double hutch and are currently on a carrot treat and straw diet!

My advice was apparently brilliant and so helpful, there was also a 6ft hutch and 7ft run on order.. :roll:

I don't know why I bother tbh. Because if anyone else comes along and agrees with the fact the OP might only have room for a 4ft hutch and I say (politely) it wouldn't be suitable and offer tonnes of advice and links and it's all "thank you so much blah blah blah", it's all for nothing because that one person says "well my rabbit lives in a 4ft hutch and he is happy and fine".. Undoes all the work. I really feel for rescues who put up with it daily!

I know the feeling too :( Some people I know got guinea pigs and asked me how big a cage they should have so I said at least 4ft for the pair and they got one that's prob 2.5ft :roll: and every time I go, they haven't given them fresh hay. It's a 7yo looking after them and I tell her how important it is and it takes seconds to put fresh hay in every day and still I go back and no fresh hay. I help her clean cage when I go and the piggies go mental when the whole cage is full of fresh hay I feel so bad for them. I've told the parents and older siblings too how important it is but nobody seems to care enough :cry: Even one of the older sisters had her own guinea pig til last yr when he died but she had him in half a shed, loads of space and gave him hay every day, I keep saying to her can't u just make sure she's giving it them or you give it them. It's so hard because u can keep saying it but u can't force people to do anything :( I'm always sharing things on Facebook hoping that the bunny owners with rubbish hutches and bad diets will take notice but I don't think they do. Most people r too selfish, to me a lot of the enjoyment I get from keeping animals is from knowing that they're happy and well cared for, but to most people they have have pets purely to cuddle, coo over etc and any extra money and effort required is too much hassle. Makes me so sad to hear that someone's 2 or 3yr old rabbit has died and they just take it as that's what happens and I'm thinking did u feed it right, did it get enough space and exercise, was it neutered, did u notice it was poorly and take it to the vets etc etc. sadly the answers to all that is probably no :cry:

Last edited:
Almost got myself banned from another free ads group yesterday for getting involved in a discussion with a woman who has keep a 1 year old bunny in a ferplast hamster cage :evil::censored: when questioned she couldn't see the problem. She then deleted the ad and admin have said that they would rather than people didn't comment and then the rabbit could have got rehomed. I said that that is all very good and well but then she as an owner and possibly the new owner as well would think that it was acceptable to keep a rabbit in that tiny tiny cage. People do get heated in discussions like that which doesn't help but I would rather that than it being ignored.

Someone added me to a rabbit and small animal rescue on Facebook but looking though I just got upset at the bad advice and pics of a 'happily rehomed' bunny stuck on its own in a tiny hutch with comments saying how lucky he was to have found such a nice home :cry: I understand that people just don't know and I'm sure their hearts are in the right place and they think they're doing the right thing but :cry: I posted a link to the RWAF page but looks like it's been removed :( I also replied to someone's comment about getting a companion for her male as there was some bad advice so I said all rabbits should be neutered and especially before introductions etc etc. The person running the rescue had also commented saying how they always put the males together that they rescue and never had a prob so she should just 'try it'. He removed that comment after I posted mine!! That's a good thing I suppose but noone has responded. I don't want to keep piping up, I'm trying to just advice but whether any notice will be taken I don't know :(

Almost got myself banned from another free ads group yesterday for getting involved in a discussion with a woman who has keep a 1 year old bunny in a ferplast hamster cage :evil::censored: when questioned she couldn't see the problem. She then deleted the ad and admin have said that they would rather than people didn't comment and then the rabbit could have got rehomed. I said that that is all very good and well but then she as an owner and possibly the new owner as well would think that it was acceptable to keep a rabbit in that tiny tiny cage. People do get heated in discussions like that which doesn't help but I would rather that than it being ignored.

WHAT?!?! That's awful!!!!! How on earth does ANYONE think that's ok?! And to think I feel guilty every day because when I'm not in I attach a 7.5x4 foot pen to my two's hutch instead of letting them free range! Poor little bunny :( no run to even stretch let alone run and binky :( how are people so stupid? You'd think that with the internet now it'd be so easy to find out what is right and what is wrong for your pet that there would be much better animal care around, but there's always so many stories about people doing really obviously wrong things :(

WHAT?!?! That's awful!!!!! How on earth does ANYONE think that's ok?! And to think I feel guilty every day because when I'm not in I attach a 7.5x4 foot pen to my two's hutch instead of letting them free range! Poor little bunny :( no run to even stretch let alone run and binky :( how are people so stupid? You'd think that with the internet now it'd be so easy to find out what is right and what is wrong for your pet that there would be much better animal care around, but there's always so many stories about people doing really obviously wrong things :(

I know. The poor thing looked so sad. It wasn't a huge bunny but it still took up half the cage just by sitting in it. It was in the Colchester, Essex area so I am going to keep an eye out on gumtree in case he turns up on there :(

Exactly I always think with the Internet there is no excuse to be ignorant and not do your research. Years ago I had 2 rabbits in less than ideal accommodation that I thought was great but I didn't have easy access to the internet and thought I knew what I was doing. When I got Summer and Skye, I did provide better space for them and when I wanted to change it I came across this forum and the rest is history :lol: I've learnt so much and really want the best for my lot. People will happily waste hours on social network sites but wouldn't bother spending any time reading up on caring for their pets :( I know what u mean about the guilt :lol: I've been doing up furniture to put in the new shed, and I've been thinking some rabbits r stuck in cages the same size as these bits of furniture I'm using :( but now I even look at my rabbits in their 6x3ft hutches and think they haven't got enough room cos now I have the shed that's going to have so much space the hutches look tiny in comparison!! They do have runs too but I've had to detach Heidi and Dash's while the shed gets sorted and I feel sooooo guilty :( but then the one I mention on Facebook that's 'happily rehomed' the owner said she can't wait til Summer when he can go in the run with the other 2 bunnies :shock: Don't even get me started on that, I'm hoping they r neutered and will be introduced properly... But the poor thing won't get any exercise til Summer?? :cry:

Is this about your post on the Aberdeen pets page. The girl who is doing animal care is doing my head in, they all
Think they know everything when most I have met don't have a bloody clue.

The expression that gets me.... :censored:

'Its only a rabbit!!

Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

The expression that gets me.... :censored:

'Its only a rabbit!!

Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

What I hate is 'Ive owned rabbits for 100 years and muesli and sawdust has never done them any harm'! And 'if it was so bad for them why do pet shops sell it'

Is this about your post on the Aberdeen pets page. The girl who is doing animal care is doing my head in, they all
Think they know everything when most I have met don't have a bloody clue.

Yeah! Usual moans! Mine lived til 12 without being neutered and ate carrots all the time haha

What I hate is 'Ive owned rabbits for 100 years and muesli and sawdust has never done them any harm'! And 'if it was so bad for them why do pet shops sell it'

My family don't understand rabbits and thought mine was spoilt rotten when I got a 5 foot double hutch :shock:
now I have a 9 x 6foot avairy attached, apparently its a 6* bunny mansion :roll:
the amount of times I've had people askwhy ive spent so much on "a rabbit" makes me really angry :evil:
and it's sad because half the time people aren't trying to be cruel, they just don't know whats best and because rabbits have been kept in tiny hutches for centuries, and pet shops sell them they think thats right :(

I could be wrong, but weren't hutches for rabbits originally purposely designed to be too small so that they would put on weight quickly and therefore could be eaten quicker? If so it is very strange that no one has picked up on this and pointed this argument out to people. I guess it's to do with pet shops trying to make a quick buck. But it really wouldn't be very different in my head to people selling me battery style cages to keep my chickens in :evil:

I could be wrong, but weren't hutches for rabbits originally purposely designed to be too small so that they would put on weight quickly and therefore could be eaten quicker? If so it is very strange that no one has picked up on this and pointed this argument out to people. I guess it's to do with pet shops trying to make a quick buck. But it really wouldn't be very different in my head to people selling me battery style cages to keep my chickens in :evil:

Yeah and they were kept in the hutches until it was time to chop them up ready for dinner! :shock:

Yes, really a hutch was designed to be an extension of the kitchen cupboards. If the rabbit is alive then the meat is fresh and won't go off. The fact that smaller hutches led to fatter rabbits helped though. :(

Back