• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt

Lalaloves

Young Bun
Hello,

My bunny's head tilted in January so I immediately took her to the vet. During the ride her head went back to normal so when we got there she looked fine. He checked her ears, teeth, coordination, etc. and everything looked normal. He said that it could be a bacteria (e.cuniculi or microsporum canis - not sure about the last one, I can't remember) but that everything looks fine. When we got home her head tilted again! But her head went back to normal in the evening. So everything was just fine until yesterday. Her head has titled again. This time the tilt isn't that bad as it was in January. I don't know what to do. I mean the vet said he had no idea and he also said that the treatment for bacterias is very radical so I don't want to put her on meds if it's not necessary. I really don't know what to do. It breaks my heart to see her like this.:cry:
Any advice/help is welcome.

Hello,

My bunny's head tilted in January so I immediately took her to the vet. During the ride her head went back to normal so when we got there she looked fine. He checked her ears, teeth, coordination, etc. and everything looked normal. He said that it could be a bacteria (e.cuniculi or microsporum canis - not sure about the last one, I can't remember) but that everything looks fine. When we got home her head tilted again! But her head went back to normal in the evening. So everything was just fine until yesterday. Her head has titled again. This time the tilt isn't that bad as it was in January. I don't know what to do. I mean the vet said he had no idea and he also said that the treatment for bacterias is very radical so I don't want to put her on meds if it's not necessary. I really don't know what to do. It breaks my heart to see her like this.:cry:
Any advice/help is welcome.

This part concerns me as it doesn't sound as though your vet is rabbit-savvy. If you start a thread 'Rabbit-savvy vet needed in .............' someone here may be able to make a recommendation.

I'm from Slovenia (Europe) and I did my research and this vet is the best vet for rabbits here (the vet station is actually part of the veterinary faculty). What I meant with that part (that he had no idea) is that she looked perfectly fine (no head tilt when we got there)- no ear infection, teeth problems, etc. If he saw her with her head tilted, he could be able to diagnose her (I don't know)? That is why he said that the only thing that could caused her head tilt was a bacteria or she had something in her ear that fell out during the ride in the car (but apparently that wasn't the case because the tilt is back).

Hello

It would be a good idea to take her back to a Vet. As Babsie said, a Vet who is 'Rabbit Savvy'. Unfortunately not all Vets are and whilst they may be great with Dogs and Cats their Rabbit knowledge is limited at best.

The treatments needed will depend on a diagnosis being made and from what you describe EC sounds to be a real possibility. This would require treatment with a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam and a 4-6 week course of Fenbendazole. If you have other in contact Rabbits they would require a course of Fenbendazole too.

I'm gonna take her to the vet tomorrow and hope for the best. :(
Does head tilt hurt? Can I pet her on her head? Are the meds that you mentioned radical/strong (sorry I can't remember the correct word) - as in can rabbit get worse or die during treatment? Sorry for so many questions but I'm really scared.

EDIT: It is just so strange-she was fine for more than a month and the head tilt has returned. Is that common for e.cuniculi (head tilt, no head tilst for a long time, head tilt again)?

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't realise that you are not in the UK.

Jack's-Jane has given excellent advice.

Good luck and please give us an up-date.

Thank you all for your comments and help.
The tilt got better, I took this pic few minutes ago:

She looks fine, right?

Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic with her head tilted today but this one is from January (today's tilt wasn't that bad as this one on the pics):

So here's my plan: I'm gonna call my vet tomorrow and explained to him what happened. I'll ask him if we should come in and make some blood tests. What do you think?
It's just so weird that her head tilt comes for a day or two and then disappears.

Head Tilt

I'm not an expert, but I would go with ear mites. I would definitely take her back to specifically have a look at her ears.

Hope She Feels Well Again Soon!

Back