• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Rabbit with stasis

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi, one of my buns, Poppy, is prone to stasis. I have a bit of Emeprid kept at home which my rabbit savvy vet dispenses.

She has been moulting quite a lot (and I've been brushing them both every day) and I saw my vet on Wednesday as she was a little off her food and he has put her on a course of Emeprid. I'm supposed to be seeing him tomorrow. However, she has really gone down hill. Was fine yesterday, but wouldn't eat her pellets at tea time and no hay has been eaten or poops passed. I rang the emergency vet at 2am and he said to give her one dose of Metacam (which I luckily had a bit left). I have also syringe fed her a tiny bit, but am really worried this morning as she is still just lying down and quite depressed - no poops, no interest in food.

I'm off to the vets in a minute, but it's an emergency vet and I know of old he's not very rabbit savvy and my vet isn't it until tomorrow. Anybody got any ideas about what else I can do. I've rubbed her tum and got her to move around - she's a house rabbit - a lionhead. I'm so worried :(

When you take her in the vet should do an x ray to rule out a blockage, sub cut fluids will also help the wee soul.

Does her tummy feel hard at all? If so it may be she has bloat and something like infacol or gripe water may help a bit, you can get these from the super market.
There's a drug that can be used for bloat too but I can't recall the name (cispapride or something).

My Honey is also prone to stasis, the vet we go to normally admits her, does an X-ray and if there's no sign of a blockage treats with metaclopramide, metacam and fluid therapy. They also syringe feed her to try and get her guts moving again.

Good luck at the vets!

I hope you get on ok at the vet :wave:

My Honey is prone to blockages, and the vet usually does a blood glucose test. If it is really high then they treat as for a blockage.

Thank you all. Saw vet (not my vet) and he called in the rabbit nurse (I was glad as it's my vet's rabbit nurse!) and they have admitted her. He said he could feel a small mass in her stomach which was uncomfortable when pressed, but it was squidgy and he could break it up with his fingers. He's given her antibiotics and an injectible painkiller and they are going to syringe feed her - please sends vibes:wave: I'm a nervous wreck :(

Thank you all. Saw vet (not my vet) and he called in the rabbit nurse (I was glad as it's my vet's rabbit nurse!) and they have admitted her. He said he could feel a small mass in her stomach which was uncomfortable when pressed, but it was squidgy and he could break it up with his fingers. He's given her antibiotics and an injectible painkiller and they are going to syringe feed her - please sends vibes:wave: I'm a nervous wreck :(

Do they have her on fluids as this is one of the most important things if it is a blockage to help break it up and help it pass through.

I thought that syringe feeding with a blockage was not advised :? Maybe they mean when it starts passing through

Sending lots of vibes for a quick recovery.

Do they have her on fluids as this is one of the most important things if it is a blockage to help break it up and help it pass through.

I thought that syringe feeding with a blockage was not advised :? Maybe they mean when it starts passing through

Sending lots of vibes for a quick recovery.

Yes, I thought that - I will double-check when they ring, though I'm pretty sure they'll speak to my rabbit vet before they do anything - it helps that he's married to the Senior Partner! I wish they'd ring:shock:

lots of poopy vibes being sent from us too.. hope she recovers soon...

get well soon Poppy....xx

Just spoke to nurse - not interested in food, so they're still syringing, however - lots of lovely, relatively big poops overnight - yayyyyyyyyyyyy:love:

Also sending Poppy loads of vibes. And hugs for you as i know how worrying it is when they poorly. Have just been through this with my boy. It took a while of before he ate by himself. Keep us updated xx

Back