• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Chasing

Hello,

I have two bunnies both desexed, one male, one female. They have been living together for a couple of weeks and have been fine, eating together, grooming each other etc. But yesterday I walked in the room as I was tidying up and the male rabbit charged at me and was grunting and tugging on my jeans. Now every time I walk in the room and the female comes up to me, he charges at her and grunts to chase her away! Anyone know what's going on here?!

Many thanks,

Possibly 'Food Aggression'

He associates you with the appearance of food and tries to assert his dominance over the Doe by getting at the food (which he thinks you always have) first by chasing her away.

Do you have any other Rabbits nearby ?

When you do feed them do you 'scatter feed' to make them forage for food or do you use a bowl so the food is simply in one place with no 'work' required to find it ?

You could try wearing boots and ignoring him thereby, hopefully, he will learn that his behaviour has no effect on you. Good luck!

Hi

I put the food in a bowl and there are no other rabbits around.

Yes, I think I will just wear boots and ignore hope they don't end up fighting though !!

Also, I did also just come back smelling of other rabbits as I was cleaning and handling rabbits at RSPCA - so do you think this might have anything to do with his behaviour?

Back