• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny turns into Hen...?!?

First thought was that bunny has a respiratory problem that's resulting in the odd noises. Birds are the one thing that set my dads allergies off.

Could be snuffles. But also, rabbits are highly social creatures that will do a lot for company if they are single and lonely. When Barney was single, he actually adapted his sleeping pattern so that he slept when I was usually sleeping - he didn't have a normal bunny's routine anymore. Single bunnies often crave companionship and act a lot more needy and are often more friendly to non-rabbits than bunnies that are bonded.

I'm going on the basis that my friend has chickens and they can be rather mucky I.e. They don't poop in a litter tray like a rabbit can. Maybe they're not mucky and yes I have presumed on the basis of my knowledge and experience.

I agree that single bunnies crave attention and can be much friendlier - I have a single bun who is terminally ill (lasting longer than I anticipated) and she is much friendlier now she lives indoors with me then when she was outside with her husbun (he's now gone to the bridge).

I wish they posted a video - I'd have loved to hear it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going on the basis that my friend has chickens and they can be rather mucky I.e. They don't poop in a litter tray like a rabbit can. Maybe they're not mucky and yes I have presumed on the basis of my knowledge and experience.

Plenty of animals can't be toilet trained, but I don't understand how that makes them 'mucky'. Would you refer to all horses as 'mucky' on that basis? Or hamsters or guinea pigs? Chickens are perfectly clean as long as they are regularly cleaned out. They spend a lot of their day preening and dust-bathing so they in themselves are clean.

Going back to the original story, I do think that it's quite sad and that the poor bunny is probably lonely :( The chickens could really hurt him if he spooked them and I just don't understand why anyone would have them living together.

Plenty of animals can't be toilet trained, but I don't understand how that makes them 'mucky'. Would you refer to all horses as 'mucky' on that basis? Or hamsters or guinea pigs? Chickens are perfectly clean as long as they are regularly cleaned out. They spend a lot of their day preening and dust-bathing so they in themselves are clean.

Going back to the original story, I do think that it's quite sad and that the poor bunny is probably lonely :( The chickens could really hurt him if he spooked them and I just don't understand why anyone would have them living together.

Hamsters can be litter trained :) when I was younger I had 2, both of whom my mum litter trained :)

Chickens themselves are generally very clean, but I'd still refer to them as a "mucky" animal. I love them but their poo is usually wet and they do it wherever.
I have deep litter method and bantams now so it's not such a problem but when we had the big hens free ranging it was awful - the garden was covered in sloppy poo.:oops: You certainly wouldn't want chickens and rabbits sharing a space, no matter how often you cleaned them out - especially when you factor in the risk of coccidiosis.

Back to the topic at hand, my first thought was respiratory infection as well, but I guess if a vet was present they would have ruled that out?

Chickens themselves are generally very clean, but I'd still refer to them as a "mucky" animal. I love them but their poo is usually wet and they do it wherever.
I have deep litter method and bantams now so it's not such a problem but when we had the big hens free ranging it was awful - the garden was covered in sloppy poo.:oops: You certainly wouldn't want chickens and rabbits sharing a space, no matter how often you cleaned them out - especially when you factor in the risk of coccidiosis.

Maybe it's just me then. Mine are in their run when we're out and otherwise in the back garden, and yes they do poo but there's not exactly mountains of it and as long as I poo pick a few times a day and clean the coop out daily then there really isn't an issue. I wouldn't describe chicken poo as 'sloppy' either. It's not dry and neat like bunny poo but it's easy to scoop up and put in the compost heap.

I did say that I don't agree with chickens and rabbits living together at all. I don't get the coccidiosis point though. Cocci is carried by wild birds and is just as dangerous to chickens as it is to bunnies.

Ok. I wasn't posting about chickens being mucky - you yourself said you wouldn't put a rabbit with chickens...I'm not really sure why it's turned into a confrontational discussion (that's how it feels to me) about how mucky chickens are!?

The real question here is - can rabbits cluck!? :)

Perhaps I just took it the wrong way. If so apologies. I just get annoyed when I feel that people are purporting stereotypes about chickens. They are wonderful pets and I've not found them any more messy than other animals I've owned. They just should be kept with other chickens and rabbits should be kept with other rabbits :thumb:

I suppose, if we're going to ask that question, we should in turn also ask if chickens can binky? ;) I'd love to see them try.

Thanks :) I'm moving soon and hopefully going to get some chickens of my own so I will definitely know for myself as to how 'mucky' they really are ;-)

Binkying chickens....hmmmm :)

Thanks :) I'm moving soon and hopefully going to get some chickens of my own so I will definitely know for myself as to how 'mucky' they really are ;-)

Binkying chickens....hmmmm :)

Ooh wonderful :) if you do get some then you should consider getting ex-battery hens. They are wonderfully rewarding to watch feather up and recover and are such cheeky little sods when they get settled in :lol:

Back