• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who on Earth Could Think This is a Good Idea ..............

I don't even like harnesses and leads really for rabbits let alone collars and leads. I mean, if you want a dog, get one.

I don't even like harnesses and leads really for rabbits let alone collars and leads. I mean, if you want a dog, get one.

I sometimes use a harness and leash for my bunnies when we're outside because I feel it provides some protection from birds of prey, which are a big danger in my yard. Mine don't mind harnesses and haven't gotten hurt on them before. It's not all so black and white. (and I have dogs btw ;):lol:)

Collars are obviously dangerous though. Shame the advert people are ignorant of that, hopefully they'll listen to advice.

I have seen some people "walk" bunnies before (as in outside on green so bunnies could eat. I was advised to put D'Argo in a harness to solve transport issues when going to vet because he is so big. I got hom a dog crate.

I'm speechless. Both at the collar/lead and the vet. I would never even put a bunny in a harness...too much chance of spooking and bunny being fatally injured or suffering. I've read too many such incidents.
Drives me nuts when people put cats on leads too. I don't care how 'used to it' the cat is. Some creatures are not meant for them. :( Just far too many variables that could end terribly. Not trying to start a debate I just feel strongly on this.

Glad you were there to give advice Jane. I hope they follow it.

I'm speechless. Both at the collar/lead and the vet. I would never even put a bunny in a harness...too much chance of spooking and bunny being fatally injured or suffering. I've read too many such incidents.
Drives me nuts when people put cats on leads too. I don't care how 'used to it' the cat is. Some creatures are not meant for them. :( Just far too many variables that could end terribly. Not trying to start a debate I just feel strongly on this.

Some animals just aren't the spooked types though. Mine are totally calm about harnesses and I think from the way mine is designed injuries are less likely. Timmy posing in his harness :) (this is indoors because I just wanted to take a pic of the harness one day, they only wear them outdoors)

July 2011 270 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

cat harnesses are great if you have indoor cats and you want to provide some safe outdoor playtime for them. I've never even heard of anything wrong with them for cats.

Imo harnesses are fine for most species. It's more the individual animal that it depends on. They can provide more freedom for a lot of animals, like without harnesses many people wouldn't be able to take their parrots or ducks etc out in public.

How does it protect them?! :shock:

I just feel like it provides a safety net kinda. The brightly colored harness might make a BOP wary (or it might just make the buns bigger targets...) and if for some reason they got away from me (say they got underneath a bush or something) I could still find them because of the bright colors and trailing leash. My yard is big and has woods and plenty of places for them to get lost or escape so this is important.

Not that I leave them unattended, I try to always be right next to them because of BOP, but things happen. I had my brother watch Izzy once for a few minutes and he somehow lost him. 4 of us spent several minutes looking for him before finally finding him, if he hadn't been white (he didn't have a harness on) it might have been much harder.

I used a harness for my buns for the first few weeks when I got them as our next door neighbour has a security dog who could easily jump the 6 ft fence, plus our run wasn't finished so this was the best way of keeping them safe and letting them exercise on an extendible dog lead. Don't use it now as set up has been sorted.

My sister uses a harness for her cat but he was born without any eyes so this means that he can have outside time but be safe but I think this is an extreme exception!

Back