• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

setups next to eachother

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Im looking at options for enlarging my bunny accommodation in preparation for merging 2 singles to a pair (if they like eachother) or bonding them individually with another bun. The trouble is, to maximise space I need the accommodation to butt up to eachother. I have a bonded pair (very loved up) and 2 singles waiting for spring weather to be neutered and bonded however it works out. If I have double mesh layers between accommodation (so mesh, gap where the wood bar sits, mesh) is that ok or is that likely to cause tension between bunnies? Am I better putting a solid wood screen between them so they cannot see eachother?

I cant wait too long before building as Avas hutch is deteriorating and I want to build in a hut into the setup instead. Essentially the second and third setups are a large run with removable plastic screens top and sides (end permanently open for air as the wind doesnt cut through that way and other end backs onto the fence) with a wood end against the fence (instead of mesh) and a 5x2 hut within there (raised about 6 inches off the floor). The setups will include a bunny door so each can be allowed free range time more easily (the garden is completely secure, but free ranging is only allowed when I can supervise due to local cats). Each would also have additional insulation in cold weather obviously.

I dont want to risk messing up my bonded pair, or causing issues to my singles to make them less likely to bond or angering bonds if I have to find a buddy for each single.

My rabbits always had referred aggression if they could see the other pair of buns...i.e. the male would be aggressive towards his own mate. They would also try to fighht through the mesh partition. So I have always made sure that they can not see each other, by using willow screens attached to mesh when they were out doors, and hardboard sheets indoors. But some buns can live happily next to each other without agression, so it may be worth seeing how they go first, but be prepared to cover up the mesh quickly (cardboard & cable ties is a good temporary solution).

For the cost I think Im safer going for a solid partition then, thanks. I may have worked out a way to swap about some planting plans to have just one of the new setups next to the old, which would mean I could allow the grumpier one to have the far away accommodation and gentle Hamish to mind his own business with the solid partition.

Back